“perfect location budget hotel”

Hotel Aslan Istanbul
Ranked #569 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“perfect location budget hotel”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

For the price we paid, we didn't expect much from Hotel Aslan....but we were pleasantly surprised. Very basic rooms, the wardrobe needed repairing, the loo nearly fell off the wall every time one of us sat on it and the 'balcony' opened onto a concrete wall.....but, it was clean and the welcome genuinely friendly. The location is perfect - only a few minutes walk from all the lovely things you need to see and the buzz of the local eateries. The staff at breakfast watched eagle eyed to ensure you had enough breakfast (but not more than you should !) and made eggs to order (or 'egg' in the case of the menemem...). All in all a very good breakfast. We were out all day long and spent very little time in the rooms, so it was actually fine for us, and we would stay again. Great value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pookie062
HOTELASLANISTANBUL, Sahibi at Hotel Aslan Istanbul, responded to this review, 14 May 2015

HOTEL ASLAN İSTANBUL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Kelowna BC Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is located on the best tourist street in istanbul. Many quaint buildings and street level restaurants. Within walking distance of all the major sights. We had the base room, which was very small but only cost $49.00 per night including tax booked well in advance on Expedia. If the price was over 100.00 I would probably choose one of the many other boutique hotels on the street. Only 18 rooms with a roof deck which housed the breakfast area. Standard fare but with made to order eggs and omelets. Service was good. Would stay again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were a group of 7 active ladies. We enjoyed the central location in the old town with 5-10 minutes to the blue mosque, Aya Sofia, Topkapi palace, great hamam, very many restaurants, shops and bazars etc.
The breakfast restaurant at the roof terrace was very good (wide local fresh selection) and it was so nice to sit outside and with a nice view. It was also OK to have cold water, coffee/tea or own drink at hours when the breakfast restaurant was not in service.
The staff/owners was very friendly and helpful with reservations, recommendations and all practical matters.
At the price we got at booking.com I doubt you can get anything better!
The price of the central location is that you will have a "free wake-up call" when the morning prayers start. I doubt that you can avoid this in Istanbul with +200 mosques.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Hotel Aslan is a small hotel with 18 rooms on four floors. The fifth floor is a terrace, where the breakfast is served. I stayed in room 42. I would characterize the hotel as cozy with adequate untiities; there is an elevator (which is a godsend during heatwaves and beats lugging luggage).
The air conditioner in the room works well. It quickly cooled the hot room down. It was vastly superior to the aircon unit I had while staying in a room on the top floor of Divas hotel.
The curtains were adequate to block the sunlight in the morning. (I detest waking up early because of sunlight. I also experienced this problem at Divas because the curtains were not wide enough to block rays on the edges of windows.)
Room 42 is a square shaped room with what appears to be a queen-size bed; the bed is ample and comfortable. I like my beds not firm and the bed was just right for me. Of course, there is little space in which to maneuver with such a large bed but this was a good trade-off to have such a comfy and roomy bed in exchange for some space. (I detest those small single size beds that remind me of my bed when I was four years old yet I slept on such in the Erguvan much to my discomfiture.) As for bedding, I found that the queen size sheet I brought was useful as what was on the bed was a thick cotton fabric not comfortable for me. The chandelier seemed rickety but actually a chain ably secured the chandelier to the ceiling. It is just that the ceiling is low and I often banged my head against that darn chandelier. (I am just under 6 feet)
The bathroom is clean but not anything supermodern. (It is worthwhile to note that to get the shower to work it is necessary to run the water first and then press the "button." Service staff had to show me how to get the water to come out ot the shower spigot.)
Size-wise the bathroom is small but nonetheless satisfactory.
The major gripe I had was with the internet connection. I connected to "Aslan Third Floor" only to find that every 20 minutes I got kicked off line and had to reconnect -- what was particularly annoying was losing my skype connection every 20 minutes. I mentioned this at the front desk but they did not have an answer.
I also heard the clank of dishware above on the fifth floor. I would recommend ear plugs if you intend to sleep in and your room is on the fourth floor.
Some people raved about the breakfast because it is possible to order eggs. I have a different take on the breakfast -- it is the standard Turkish-fare breakfast. Special orders don't upset them -- they just cannot deliver them or do not understand them. I asked for a turkish coffee -- it could not be provided. Isn't it hilarious (pathetic?) that you cannot get a turkish coffee in a turkish hotel in Istanbul! All they can say is to drink the regular coffee on offer. Maybe I should have brought my cevze and ground coffee and just made my own on the stove used for the frying pan to fry the eggs? Not worth the effort obviously. Then I asked for a sweet or something sweet like a pettit pain au chocolat. Well, the dumb-founded staff did not understand the word "sweet." In the heat of the moment I did not remember the Turkish equivalent "tatli." Well, another guest heard all this and brought me a small packet of jam! Anyway, I have no right to complain about this as this is what you get in mid-class accomodation. So, for me, these breakfasts are better just to skip -- I would rather eat normally at lokantas of my choice or even self-cater visiting the Dia grocery store on Pekhane street or a sweet shop on Divan Yolu..
Would I stay there again? Yes, quite possibly, if the price is right. However, I would bring up the internet connection issue (by email prior to travel to Istanbul before deadline for cancellation) prefatory to accepting any room. I gave this hotel five stars because, despite its minor drawbacks, it was more comfortable here than the rooms I had at both Divas and Erguvan.
Keep in mind that while these mid-class hotels let guests use the computer in the lobby for free if you have symbols in your password or have an i in your address or password, you will encounter difficulties accessing your account using the turkish keyboard.
I booked though Expedia and had no problems either checking in or checking out. All the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Although the staff says that the rooms on the 4th floor are "the best," I would recommend...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Most friendly staff I have ever come across! The Manager made sure that we felt at home in every way. The details in everything was a surprise. Breakfast was fantastic and fresh. The rooms were claen and had everything we needed. The hotel is situated in the middel of every attraction the town has to offer. Great wi-fi connection!

• Stayed May 2013

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Quiet, clean room, friendly staff, very nice breakfast with large selection of foods in a buffet plus eggs cooked to order. The breakfast terrace has lovely views. A short walk to Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, cistern (don't miss, bring fish food!), archeological musem. Comfortable beds. Interesting comfy furniture in lobby, free use of computer in lobby.

The hotel manager is fluent in Arabic and Turkish, and his English is very good.

We stayed here twice. The first time was in room 203 (two single beds), which looks like the photos at hotels.com, a perfectly nice but basic room. The second time we stayed in room 304 (1 large bed), which was vastly superior. Nicer decor, much larger, and had a sofa.

The hotel is on a fairly quiet street, and we were not disturbed by street noise. Very few cars, not a main walking tourist road, yet very close to everything. Perfect!

Room Tip: Pick room 304 if possible! Window looks out over small courtyard, which is uninteresting but even q...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple