“Worst hotel ever!!”

Petrol Hotel Palace
Ranked #1,021 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Even if they give you room for free please do not exepted. In this moment is 22:43 and in next room they have constructions work with machines that nobody can sleep, receptions guy talk so loud that even in 4th floor you can hear him. Room is dirty,old,,..even 1star is too much for this hotel...

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank jaskaSlovenia

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My mistake I didn't checked with tripadvisor first. I felt I was being cheated by the nice photos in the website. I choose this hotel because of its location near sultanahmet. The room was not maintained, no toilet pad, unsafe wiring, no minibar. Choice of food: bad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Musaferer
Reviewed 31 July 2013

It pains me to give this place One Star, as the accommodations are generally nice; the hotel is located in beautiful Sultanahmet (literally a stone's throw from the Blue Mosque), is cheaply priced, and has generally decent internet (they did turn the wifi off during night hours, which was irritating). However, several times a day our room would smell like human waste. I think we were directly over a leaking sewer pipe or something else terrible. We had an air freshener, but even that could only help so much. Again, I'd like to give a higher rating, but cannot do so because of the smell of raw sewage that was present in our room, making it difficult to sleep. Had the hotel not been the best deal, financially, in the area and I could afford to stay elsewhere, I would have gladly done so, again, if only to avoid sleepless nights in a room that smelled like raw sewage at times.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Constantly T
Reviewed 17 July 2013

An absolute disgrace of a place that has hopefully closed by now.

We stayed there, or rather attempted to stay there, in August 2012. We had arrived after a long drive from Veliko Tarnovo in Bulgaria, and just wanted a place to crash for the night.

What we got was an absolute nightmare. Our room was filthy, the whole place just felt dirty. There was no AC just a fan that didnt work. It was exceptionally noisy and hot, and I doubt we would have got any sleep had we stayed. However, as we were attempting to sleep my wife noticed that bed bugs were appearing everywhere. It was disgusting, and the last straw. The last thing we wanted to do at 2am after a long trip on a hot day, was walk the streets of Istanbul in search of another place. But this hovel gave us no choice. We got our refund and did find somewhere clean and comfortable for the same price a few streets away.

AVOID at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ingolfsson
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed at Petrol Hotel in Sep '12 with family and small kids. The hotel seemed clean initially with friendly staff. Rooms were very small and unfurnished. The hotel is located right next to the SultanAhmet tram station. It is very convenient to get the tram from there but the ringing of tram bell was a constant disturbance.

However the major problem was that the hotel was filled with bed bugs. They were all over the room including bed, pillows and even on walls. This was the first time in my life I encountered with bed bugs and I can assure you that they were the worst insects ever. I can literally see my blood on the bed sheets. However the night attendant 'Roman' was very friendly and he gave me the full refund and also got me room in Villa Pasha hotel in the middle of the night. He also told me that they are carrying out the fumigation so I don't know if this problem still exists.

Room Tip: Choose a Blue Mosque view room and on the top floor if you don't want to get disturbed by tram.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gulraiz
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Expect only average if u are used high standard demanding rooms and breakfast
BUT: you can nowhere buy such a view at breakfast from the roof !
Opposite the blue mosque, the harbour down the hill, the cisterns around the corner!

There is no better starting point to explore the sultans palace, the market, local food!
Get local ferries, not tourist ones ! Allow yourself to get lost either on a wrong ferry, take your time. Have a tiny glass cup of tea on the boats.

Been three times in hotel petrol, I'll for sure go there next time again.

Room Tip: There is a bar downstairs. Make sure you bring enough distilleries on your own in case the staff goe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2013

very clean rooms which were cleaned every day, towels also changed daily. standard turkish breakfast but was very nice. very central location with a lot of different restaurants on your doorstep. would definetly stay again

Room Tip: 203, excellent view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple