“Very good hotel!”

Ranked #301 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Buenos Aires
“Very good hotel!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Very well located near everything, at walking distance. 1 block from the tram-bus.
Very nice and neat room,we were welcomed by a basket with fruit and a bottle of wine. Wi-fi in the room. Good breakfast on the top floor.
Don't doubt!

Room Tip: Sultanameth is better district to stay in Istambul, there's night life and you can move safely.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is the first time I've left a negative review for a hotel in my life - a life full of 5-8 week holidays, staying in multiple hotels each time. However, this is the first time I've had an official confirmed booking disregarded and my room sold out from under me.

My reservation for Mina was made in April, through booking.com. At no point was I told additional confirmation directly with the hotel would be necessary, nor did I authorize my credit card (which was given for pre-authorization only) to be charged prior to arrival. It was clearly outlined that the room was to be paid for in local currency at the time of arrival/departure.

Our flight from Kayseri was a late one, arriving around 10 pm. Our taxi driver called the number provided from Hotel Mina and received accurate driving directions. He had told them he had passengers with a reservation. We arrived an hour later, paying 100 lira for the taxi fee, and approached the front desk just past 11 pm.

We were greeted by someone who told us that they had attempted to charge our credit card twice, and the transaction was denied. We reviewed the printouts, confused. The times on them were at 8 pm. Why would they be trying to charge our credit card, which they were NOT authorized to do in the first place, prior to us arriving? When the charge would not go through, they gave our room to someone else. It would have been an impossibility, unless there was an error with their machine or they themselves mistyped the card number, that my credit card would be declined. Having been traveling for 5 weeks, using it daily, I have kept a meticulous eye on the balance and have transferred over additional funds from my savings account as necessary. There has not been one point on this holiday that the balance would have been insufficient to pay for a 100 euro hotel room.

I honestly think they had someone at the front desk at 8 pm, enquiring about a room, and they made the choice to sell ours because it was a sure thing. They weren't positive that we were going to arrive (which is silly, traveling brings you to hotels at all times of the evening and 8 pm is reasonably early) and actively chose to disregard a confirmed booking. But...why give directions to a taxi driver who said he had guests with reservations 2 hours later? Wouldn't it have twigged that we were the people who hadn't shown up yet, and thus lost out on our room?

Regardless, it left us at the front desk at 11 pm watching them scramble through other hotel numbers, trying to find one with a vacancy. For the last night on a wonderful 16 day trip around Turkey, this left a terrible taste in my mouth.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gingerhilpipre
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I just came back from staying a few nights at this hotel and I must say it exceeded my expectations. Sightseeing Istanbul mostly by myself, I needed a decent hotel in the centre, that allowed to move around easily, while also being comfortable with the location. Mina Hotel is conveniently located in Sultanahmet, minutes away from Sultanahmet Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, and they have an amazing rooftop bar/terrace, overlooking the Bosphorus and the Blue Mosque. Most of the time I ate there, since it was not very crowded and the view was unbeatable. The food is good, and the service is pretty good as well. The only complaint would be, when I called room service once (I was very jet lagged and I didn't want to go out for dinner), the person on the other line brushed me saying "quickly, what do you want?" I don't know if that was just bad English or he was in a hurry to do something else. Other than that, great concierge service. Just be careful of booking different tours through the hotel, they are much more expensive, and everything is within reach on your own, and several times cheaper.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Monica S
London
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Mina for 4 nights in June 2012 and must say it was a very pleasant experience. The decor of the hotel is a little bit dated but the rooms are very clean and bed comfortable particularly enjoyed using the walk-in shower. The hotel has a rooftop terrace where you can eat breakfast or dinner or just have drinks and so it was an added bonus being able to enjoy breakfast al-fresco watching the sun rise. The staff are warm and friendly and quick to offer assistance when necessary be it to make dinner reservations or book a taxi. The hotel is situated near to all the main attractions with the blue mosque, the grand bazaar and Topkepi Palace museum within walking distance and other locations such as the spice bazaar and Hagia Sofia a short hop away on the tram which is also located very near to the hotel. Breakfast is buffet style and good but would recommend not to have dinner at the hotel but rather dine out as there are very good restaurants situated nearby with better quality food.

Room Tip: Request a room in front of hotel which has views overlooking the Bosphorus sea rather than at the ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Ro-Ploiesti
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I stayed in Istanbul 3 nights, at Hotel Mina, a three and a half star hotel.
First, the rooms are very clean and you will enjoy your staying. They clean your room every day. Towels looked like they were new. Bathroom looks ok, it has only shower.
Food, breakfast to be more specific, was more than enough. They have: coffee (2 types), tea, orange juice (not fresh juice), cereals, fruits and eggs, ham all that you could eat in the morning.
The view from the restaurant and bar are spectacular, especially at night.
Staff is kind and helpfull.
Tip-worths giving 5/10 euro on the reception for a better room!
Location is more than perfect, you are minutes away (2-3), from the main atractions.
The hotel has no parking place, it costs 15 TL, about 6 euro per day. I found a place right in front of the hotel.
The price I payed next to what I got, was more than ok.
By the way, when I left, I checked out at 13 00 pm, not 12 00 pm, they said that it's no problem, I didn't paid extra.
So the hotel is perfect for a romantic week-end or a get away in Istanbul!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor have a better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CorfuRo_Ploiesti
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. Location was fantastic! It was 5 mins away from a Starbucks and a 10 min walk to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia. I wouldn't book my tours with the hotel, I highly recommend Daily Istanbul Tours. The best part was the rooftop bar. For 5 Euros, you get a beer and a great view of the city., The area was pretty safe and very close to the metro stop ( 5 mins). You could easily take a train to the airport with only 1 easy transfer. You take the T1 from Sultanahment to Zeytinburnu and take the metro (line 1) directly to the airport. Total cost was only 4 TL (about 2 Euros). Also, I recommend getting familiar with the tram lines. Very easy tram to get to Taksim Square with only 1 transfer to a funicular (F1) for a total of 4 TL.

The wifi in the lobby and rooftop bar was excellent but I didn't manage to get a signal on the 5th floor in my room. Rooms were pretty small but pretty clean. One small issue was that they only offered a sheet for a blanket and that isn't my preference. Pillows were comfortable. In my room the shower head was at least 7 ft tall and was hard to reach so the water was only inches away from the wall.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Beloit, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed at Hotel Mina for two nights in June, 2012. The double room was comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is convenient. And the rooftop "patio" is a fantastic spot for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and/or drinks.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple