“Good value tourist hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prestige Hotel

Prestige Hotel
Ranked #603 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good value tourist hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in early October 2011, and booked this "4 star" hotel through Expedia. Overall, it was absolutely fine, though for those more familiar with American or British star ratings, this is more a 3 star hotel by those standards. For example, the pool on the roof is fine to get wet and cool down in, but not big enough to swim much.

This was my first visit to Istanbul, with my flight arriving well after midnight. With public transport having closed down by then, I asked the hotel to arrange a shuttle to collect me (for 20 Euro) so that was very helpful and worked OK. My room on the 6th floor was fine, with a good sized bathroom and definitely more bedroom space than the average London tourist hotel. One very nice touch was a wrapped plate of fruit waiting for my arrival.

The breakfast buffet was OK, with mostly cold meats, cheese, bread, fruit and salad items, but there were also some hot items. Not over-inspiring but absolutely fine to fuel up for a days sightseeing.

The hotel has free wi-fi but it barely connected on the 6th floor, so I had to bring my netbook to the lobby to get online. A minor inconvenience.

Whilst the main tourist sites are not right on the doorstep as such, the Grand Bazaar is only 8-10 minutes walk away, and Sultanahmet only another 8-10 minutes further on. Easy walking distance in good weather. In addition, the Aksaray and Laleli University tram stops are only 5 minutes away in either direction, and for 2TL (roughly UK 75p/ US $1.20) you can get to Sultanahmet, Eminonu (for ferries & Bosphorus cruises) or continue across the Golden Horn to Karakoy (for the Galata Tower and walking up busy Istiklal St) or to the end of the line for the Dolmabahce Palace. Great value. I did a lot of walking in my first couple of days, but started using the tram on day 3 and it was much easier (except during rush hour when the trams are crammed).

For getting back to Ataturk Airport (during the daytime/evening), you can either get a tram from Aksaray and change at to the Metro at Zeytinburne (you'll need a 2TL jeton for each part of the 2 part journey). Alternatively, if you walk out of the hotel, up to the main road, turn left down the hill past Aksaray tram station, across the crossroads and keeping on the RIGHT hand side of the busy road walk for about 0.75 mile/1 km (following the right hand bend in the road) you'll reach the Aksaray Metro/Underground station. From here you can get a metro to the airport for 2TL with no changes required.

Istanbul is a fascinating, bustling and vibrant city to visit, with so much history and wonderful architecture. The mosques in particular are magnificent, and it was brilliant to sit in the park between the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia around dusk and wait for darkness to fall and see both mosques lit up. Istanbul is definitely worth a visit, and give yourself enough time to enjoy everything. The Prestige Hotel, whilst modest, was absolutely fine. I found it clean and the staff friendly. Room size was fine, and the room was clean (and had a fridge and air conditioning). I couldn't ask for more for a reasonable price. The only "drawback" for some might be that its not closer to the main tourist places, but it's comfortable walking distance away and close to the tram lines, and I found the location (for the price) absolutely fine. I would certainly recommend it, and I'll certainly stay there again when I revisit Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank kgisborne
Selvi Y, Marketing Director at Prestige Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Prestige Hotel and thank you for writing such a detailed review about our hotel and Istanbul. I'm sure a lot of trip advisor members and our potential guests will find it very informative and helpful.

I'm very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. About the wi-fi, I spoke with our techical department and they'll work on streghthening the signal. I'm sure it'll be allright very soon.

Thank you once again for sharing your review, your ideas very important for us.

I hope to see you at Prestige Hotel soon.

Marketing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Other Tripadvisor reviews had made us a bit uncertain about the Prestige Hotel but it suited us very well. We spent four nights there. It's right near a tram stop so you can get around very easily. It's walking distance to the Bazaar and Sultanahmet where all the main sites are. All in all, very convenient and good value. We had connecting rooms for ourselves and our two teenagers. The rooms and bathrooms were very good and clean. Breakfast was also very good with a comprehensive selection. We were there on sunny October days so there wasn't a temperature problem. Not sure what it would be like in mid-summer because I don't think the air conditioning was working and the street is noisy. Even so, we had the windows open at night (watch out if you have children as they have nothing to restrict how far they swing open) and it wasn't too bad - the 6.00 a.m. call to prayers from the mosque over the road is all part of the experience. If you are going to spend a lot of time in your hotel, it's not what you'd expect of a 4-star in the UK and then you might understand all the niggles on other Tripadvisor reviews. But if you're out and about all day and want a decent place to sleep and eat breakfast, it's very good. Staff were generally very pleasant. The pool on the roof wasn't as bad as some reviewers suggest. It's small but clean. The roof area is run down but if there hadn't been a cold wind up there, our kids would have got straight in the water.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank carlpoll
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Prestige Hotel and thank you for sharing your review with us. I'm are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have also taken note of the points you have mentioned that can be improved and will work on those. We'll do some renovation between december-march so I hope you'll choose to stay at Prestige Hotel once more and see what has been changed so far.

If you have any questions, requests, please contact me directly, I'll be glad to help.

Thank you once again, your opinion matters to us.

Leon, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Good location, clean rooms, average breakfast and decent service.

I wouldn't consider it a 4 star hotel but for the price you pay you get a reasonable value.

I got to say that their Satellite TV is probably the worse I've seen in a hotel, the signal is poor so bring a good book if you do not have anything else to do in the room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank velazquinho
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review about your stay in Prestige Hotel. I took note of the pros and cons you have mentioned and I'll discuss these with our other departments to improve our facilities.

About the satellite tv, we sometimes have signal problems as you have mentioned and now we'll bring a new tv system which has more channel choices and clearer view so that none of our guests will face any problems related to tv channels. I hope that in the future, you can see it yourself when you revisit us again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

This property I use during my frequent trips to Turkey.
It is centrally located opposite Crowne Plaza hotel in the shopping area of Laleli,and close
to the Covered Bazaar.
This suppose to be four star hotel but service is for 3.
Rooms are nice and clean but small,lobby too small including one bar and dinning restaurant.
Breakfast is typical Turkish but tasty.
Price is convinient 50 $ for single and 70 $ for double but you can find better for this money arround.
This is hotel only for shopping guests as the have a lot of groups daily but not for business.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank asterisk1964
selviy, Guest Relation at Prestige Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. Prestige Hotel team would like to thank about your extremely valuable observation about our hotel facilities and services provided by our staff.
We hope to host you in our hotel again with an unforgettable memories and would be really pleased to see you again here
Klaipeda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel with the family for short trip to Istanbul (2 days). Hotel is clean, nice and situated in the central part of Istanbul. It is usable if you want to go around and not use car, because traffic in Istanbul is horrible.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Joke123
Selvi Y, Marketing Director at Prestige Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Prestige Hotel. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully, we'll see you at Prestige Hotel soon.

Thank you once again for writing your review cause your opinion really matters to us.

Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

We spent 2 days on our own in Istanbul after the completion of a tour; it was very close to the T 1 Tram line and made it very convenient to see some sites that our tour had missed. The staff was very helpful in advising how to use the Tram and Subway system, in recommending a good local restaurant and in helping us make reservations the night we wanted to splurge.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RevGunner359
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Prestige Hotel. We are very glad to hear that you had a nice stay and Prestige Hotel fullfiled your expectations and needs. We are very eager to see at Prestige Hotel once again.

If you need anything else, please let us know, we'll be glad to help.

Thank you once again for your review cause your opinion counts for us.

Waiting to see you at Prestige Hotel,

Belgrade, Serbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

I checked web site and hotel seemed ok. But.. Upon arrival I found dirty and small bathroom, overused sheets and towels...
As traveled in group, few people had a room without a proper window...
I wouldn’t say it was a 4 star hotel.
However, location was good for sightseeing.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Milica10
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Prestige Hotel. We are very sad to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at Prestige Hotel.

I talked with our related departments about your complaints and we are making sure that you won't have any problems like that if you come to Prestige Hotel once again which we'll be glad to host you. I hope you'll give us a chance to welcome you here with our renovated rooms so that you'll leave with good memories this time.

If you have any questions/requests, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

Thank you for your review and please be aware that it's really important to us.

Marketing Director

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels