“Lovely little hotel in old istanbul”
Review of Hotel Sapphire

Hotel Sapphire
Ranked #99 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely little hotel in old istanbul”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed in Hotel Sapphire for 7 nights from 7th - 14th August, 2014. The hotel is located 10 minutes walk to Aya Sophia and Topkapi Sarayi in one direction, and 10 minutes to Eminonu (with the ferry ports and Egyptian Bazaar) in the other direction, and just 2 minutes to the Gulahane Tram stop. The location could not be better. We were worried about the noise levels, however, found our room to be very quite and peaceful.
The room was clean, well appointed and well maintained. A/C and WiFi worked well. The breakfast spread was fantastic with turkish cold appetizers, fruits, cereals etc. they also have an omelet station.
The reception was very helpful, right from the minute we arrived till the time we left on the shuttle they had arranged.
I highly recommend Hotel Sapphire for your Istanbul visit. A gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking a courtyard, very quite. The front facing rooms may have more noise due to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ArtistMother

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kyrenia District, Cyprus
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed at Hotel Sapphire for 3 nights in August 2014. We were collected from the airport with a free transfer and the welcome from the hotel staff was very warm. We were sat down and given some peach juice and Turkish delight, and we were given advice about what do do in Istanbul and also given a map of the city. The staff are all brilliant, and sort out any requests you may have. Very courteous and friendly. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The breakfast is absolutely scrumptious with so much on offer from fresh fruits, yoghurt, pastries, toast eggs, vegetables, cold meats......... The location of the hotel is absolutely brilliant, right in the middle of all the major attractions which you can easily walk to. Also lots of lovely cobbled streets around you with great restaurants, all at very reasonable prices. I would definitely stay at this hotel when returning to Istanbul, it was very good value for money, and also if you were a lady travelling on your own, I think you would be made to feel safe and secure with their hospitality and courtesies.
What really makes this hotel stand out is its location and definitely it's 5 star staff...........Excellent!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo A
Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were eight of us (family and friends) who booked four rooms at the Sapphire two months prior to our visit to Istanbul. The entire process led by Mr Evsen was very positive and easy. Even better was our actual stay in the hotel from 17 to 21 Aug 2014. Sapphire is an excellent hotel, very well located (10-20 mins walking to all the tourist places and a minute from the tram line), with a very good staff. The hotel provides a superb layout for breakfast. Mr Dennix the front desk manager was the best that I have ever met....an outstanding man. We had a wonderful stay in this hotel and will certainly stay there if we visit Istanbul again. I strongly recommend future travellers to opt for Sapphire with their eyes closed !! Thanks Mr Evsen and Dennix !!

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor (Room 406). Though a little small (but I guess most hotels in the City Cent...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We picked this hotel based on the number and quality of reviews and were not disappointed. We were greeted at the airport and had a shuttle van to the hotel. This was very welcome after a long, connecting flight (of course, now Turkish Airlines flies direct from Boston, but not then).

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room, while not huge, was certainly spacious enough for the two of us. The bathroom (and room) was clean and bright and efficient. The bed was comfy. We also had a small balcony (tiny, really) with french doors which opened. Although it overlooked an alley, it was nice to have, especially for fresh air in the mornings.

Morning breakfasts were filling and of a nice variety. I read, maybe in Rick Steves, that Turkish hotels take pride in their breakfast buffets. It showed from the assortment available. Definitely a nice way to start off the day.

There is a pool down in the sub basement. I was a bit leery of it at first, but it turned out to be fine. Not overly crowded. There is also a hamam, supposedly, but it either wasn't working or wasn't on while we were there. That's OK, though, because there are plenty of hamans in Istanbul to choose from.

The location of this hotel is wonderful. Certainly within walking distance of just about anything you would want to see in the Old Town: Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, etc. There are lots of restaurants all around the hotel, too. Some are better than others -- but all will want your business, that's for sure. Read menus, ask questions, check out what people are eating (lots of outdoor seating) and then pick one. Public transit is also close by, as well as the Sirkeci train station to take the new Marmara Tunnel train to the Asian side of Istanbul. I highly recommend this as it fun over in the Kadikoy area. Also, the Hodja Pasha Cultural Center is very close to the hotel. It's a great place to whirling dervishes or other cultural dances.

We are a gay male couple and had no problems with this hotel or even with this area of Istanbul. We were thinking of staying in the New Town, but I'm happy we chose this, instead. Plus, you get a gift upon checkout (I won't ruin the surprise).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel sapphire for three days on a stopover on the way to Dubai. I made my decision based on how good the reviews were and I certainly was not disappointed. My airport pickup arrived on time and I was brought to the hotel at about 1 o'clock in the morning. Mustapha the receptionist was very helpful at checking me in and give me giving me advice about where to visit.
The hotel itself has got a lovely reception area, very big with Wi-Fi. I think there was a bar/cafe but I never visited it. I loved my room, very nice, spacious and clean. It was very quaint and nicely decorated. the towels were arranged in a very nice way on the bed. The bathroom was very spacious, with shampoos, conditioners, body lotion and shower gels.
The breakfast was on every morning 7 to 10. I found is absolutely fine I imagine I have to cater for a wide way array of guests. There was something for everyone. I personally enjoyed the cereal and eggs cooked at the egg station. Coffee was lovely.
Though it was the pool that attracted me to the hotel, I had only time to visit it once as there was just so much to see in Istanbul. It's a lovely way to unwind after a long day sightseeing.
The location of the hotel could not be better especially for solo traveller. The restaurants right outside and it was only about a 10 minute walk to Hagia Sophia and Sophia and the cistern.
Staff were wonderful at this hotel. So friendly and never too busy to help.

I had been a bit apprehensive about visiting Istanbul as a solo female Traveler but I really needn't have been. Had a fantastic experience and I have no doubts that the hotel contributed to this. I will certainly be back on my next stop over to Dubai

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank luckyangel
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Hotel Sapphire was better then a 5 star airport hotel we booked for our final night in Istanbul. My partner and I stayed at Sapphire for 5 nights and very much enjoyed our stay. We had a very warm welcome by the reception staff, even though it was almost midnight, and this excellent service continued throughout our stay. Our room was quiet, the bed was very comfortable and the hotel was in the perfect location, within a short walk of good restaurants, the major attractions such as The Spice Market, Grand Bazaar and Aya Sofia. We were even given gifts upon departure and received a Thank-You email 24 hours later. Excellent in every aspect and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayelene
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the end of May. The hotel has a great location in Sultanahmet, only 2 blocks away from Gülhane tram station and walking distance from the main tourist spots of Istanbul.
The rooms aren't big but they're very clean and comfortable. They even have a kettle and tea set with a complimentary selection of teas, which is a lovely detail.
The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly (Dennis and Mustafa specially). We even left some of our luggage at the hotel for 10 days while we where in Greece and picked it up when we stayed there again for one night before flying back home.
Breakfast has many options, from eggs made to order to helva, and the breakfast area is very nice. We would definitely go back to the Sapphire.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple