“A Top-Notch Hotel that Makes you feel that You've Come Home to your Family”
Review of Hotel Sapphire

Hotel Sapphire
Ranked #97 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My wife and I checked in at the hotel quite late after arriving from an uncomfortable flight from Kayseri. We felt at home immediately when we were warmly greeted by the friendly reception staff. Our request for extra pillows was met almost instantly. What impressed us most were the efficient staff that really went out of their way to be genuinely helpful in little things as well as the usual services that one would expect from a boutique hotel.

Although, they gave us 2 separate beds instead of a double bed, we didn't ask for a change of room as we were just glad to be able to sleep in a really clean and fresh-smelling room and to take our showers in a nice and modern bathroom. Believe me we had stayed at another hotel in Istanbul a couple of days earlier and it was not even half as nice as the Safir, but cost us 15 Euros more. Most of the staff there were not friendly at all save for one, but even he forgot to return my credit card after I had signed the slip when we were checking out on our last day. We had to go back there on our return to Istanbul from Ephesus, Pamukkale & Cappodocia late at night just to retrieve it.

We stayed only for one night at the Safir (wish we could have stayed longer) because my wife had to fly home on her own and I was scheduled to take a flight to Hamburg for business. On the last day, the nice staff at the hotel even helped me to check the weather at my next destination on their computer at the front desk because for some reason, the Wi-Fi internet connection was not working properly in my room and I was not able to check it on my laptop. My wife, who had the whole day free to shop at the Grand Bazaar and the Egyptian Spice market after checking out, came back to the hotel utterly exhausted after many hours of shopping on her feet. While my wife was waiting at the lobby for a good 2 hours for the airport shuttle to pick her up, the hotel front desk staff showered her with a lot of care and attention. Despite my wife's polite decline, they still insisted on bringing her some hot Turkish apple tea, which happened to be her favorite drink throughout our trip in Turkey. What a great team of wonderful staff who understand the true meaning of hospitality! We wouldn't stay anywhere else but the Safir (Sapphire) Hotel when we should ever return to Istanbul again. We say this from the bottom of our hearts!

Any downside? Sure...
Just two irritating things that we can think of. Firstly, the street in front of the hotel is out of bounds to any vehicular traffic. Hence, if one has many heavy suitcases, it is a hassle to drag or lug them from/to the neighbouring streets about half a block away where the airport shuttle or taxi is waiting or dropping off. Plus, it isn't easy to wheel the suitcases since the street is cobble-stoned and not flat. Secondly, the street in front of the hotel can get pretty noisy due to the late night revellers dining and drinking at the many Turkish & Ottoman restaurants and bars surrounding the Safir. That's why the extra pillows we ordered came in most handy as reliable "ear plugs" to send us to dreamland quite effortlessly!

3  Thank Keltin

Reviewed 1 June 2010

Hotel Sapphire (or Safir on the sign) is in a terrific spot in Istanbul, within walking distance of most sights, on a street with no car traffic and multiple restaurants with open-air seating and good shopping only a block or two away. Rooms are comfortable and quiet, at a great rate; small size didn't matter--we were out and about in the very walkable city. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful: they went out of their way to help me arrange for a car to the airport at a very economical rate rather than having to worry about finding a cab on Turkish Independence Day. Breakfast was included and was very good, in a nice room downstairs. Email communications before arriving were helpful and prompt. This is a real find. I wish we could have stayed longer.

2  Thank tresdar
Reviewed 31 May 2010

stayed 5 nights - booked based on this forums reviews-- great choice--did have to change rooms 1st night but only because we were given single beds-- no trouble with staff,no reminders needed, came back following day and our cases had been transfered -- breakfast far better than average--good choice for most tastes--fresh orange served at our table every morning--spotless display--staff very helpful-welcome drink on arrival-- free wifi with two computors on hand-- even lent me a small laptop one evening when both were being used--great way to check out the local resturants before you left the hotel on an evening--tried my best to teach the house parrott a feel expletives but he wasn't having any of it, he just kept wistleling the staff for attention with varing hellos--even gave each room a leaving thank you gift--can't say what it was because it'll spoil your surprise if you book here-- just that it was a nice jesture and a useful gift-- good location from all the sites-tram just arround the corner-- just one small black mark-one of the staff and i say one only because all the others were great fun and couldn't do enough for you ,had a very irretating habit ,that being when he recommended the hotel transport or a paticular resturant would offer to make a booking on a scrap of paper and if you than delined he made a big fuss and tore up the reservation into confetti "so you want to cancel this booking" totally unnessary as it was on a scrap of paper not been accepted anyway--he did it to us once and i saw him do it three other times --shame really but i would definetly recommend this hotel - great valve for money---great location and fabulous staff, well except for one irretating clown

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank licksmith
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I booked this hotel based on the excellent TripAdvisor ratings and I'm now joining the chorus of enthusiasm. The hotel is a real find. My room was very clean and quite comfortable. Some reviewers and the hotel itself caution that the room are on the small side but I didn't find that (I was traveling alone). As noted by others, the breakfast buffet is extensive. The location was ideal for me -- on a quiet street but less than 5 minutes to walk to the tram or a short walk to Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, and the Blue Mosque.

The staff is very welcoming and helpful -- thanks to all of you for a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank skwood
Reviewed 26 May 2010

My husband and I spent three nights at this great hotel before taking a bus tour around Turkey. We booked this hotel because of the Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. If you are looking for big chain hotel atmosphere and large rooms, don't come here. If you are looking for quaint (but clean and comfortable) and staff that make you feel completely at home, then this hotel would be perfect for you. On our tour we stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels around the country and we both agreed that none of them could compare to Hotel Sapphire.

The location is fantastic! It is an easy walk to the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, etc. There are lots of restaurants close by. Our favourite was the Faro Restaurant, just around the corner. For a change from Turkish food, try their pizza. It was the best we have ever had. My husband and I found ourselves looking forward to it after eating gas station lunches and buffet dinners for two weeks. I would also recommend the Cappadocia stuffed veal. Delicious!!

This hotel really helped make our stay in Istanbul a memorable experience. We would certainly recommend it and will stay here again.

3  Thank l0vet0travelt00
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We were originally booked to spend a few days in the Sapphire Hotel, which we thoroughly enjoyed! When our holiday was extended due to the volcanic eruption, however, the staff couldn't have been more helpful or sympathetic A potentially stressful time became, in fact, a real pleasure due to the empathy of Mr. Deniz and his colleagues at the hotel. We have told all our friends about the Sapphire Hotel, and would love to return ourselves one day. Happy, happy memories,
The Golden Girls from Scotland

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank PartyGirlScotland
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Great location, clean, very friendly and helpful. Deniz was articulate concierge. Breakfast very good, should have bigger cups or coffee pots, return trips for coffee needed. Sheets on bed short, but otherwise ok. Rooms small but adequate. TV is full satellite TV but no instructions.