“Friendly staff, good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tashkonak Hotel
Ranked #91 of 1,120 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and had a great time there. The staff are so friendly and helpful with good English. They recommended few restaurants and shows which were really good and they gave us honest review. The hotel's location is great and it's close to all the must see places... the room was clean and the breakfast is just alright..not so fantastic... overall it is a good hotel but not for romantic holiday.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yasaman S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I chose this hotel because of his good price and the two way free airport transfer, two things which drew my attention, that's why I booked directly from the hotel site. Then of course I started to read the reviews about this hotel on Trip advisor and now I can say they are really true. They waited us in the airport as agreed, the journey to hotel was very fast, at the reception the staff welcomes you with a large smile, they are very nice and polite, also helpful, a good point to hotel because always kindly staff are very important to us. I had a really good impression. The room was small but very clean, in a traditional turkish way decorated, and very comfortable. We didn't had any problems with the room and we was very pleased about everything. Just a little thing which I must add, as we are smokers, we didn't know that is a completely hotel for non-smokers, the only thing that I didn't like, as I always choose a room for smokers and here we didn't find any. But if you are smoker, you can smoke on both two terraces, one of them situated near reception and the other on the roof, near restaurant. In summer can be very nice, I think. As a smoker I would recommend to hotel to have 2-3 rooms for smokers. Another good point of hotel is that they treat you with all their attention, they also offered us to change our room to a room near terrace. The breakfast was very delicious, open buffet, with coffee, milk, tea, cereals, eggs, omelette, börek, sausages, ham, olives of many kinds, cheese, fresh bread and cake, tomatoes and cucumbers, yogurt and a lot of jams. I want to thank you to the two kindly ladies from the restaurant staff, they are very very nice, and made us feel like having breakfast in a family, offered us tea in the afternoon, talked always with us, smiling and helped us to take pictures when we need. I also must speak about housekeeping, they are very nice also, they clean the rooms daily and change your towels, the hotel also offers you daily water for the fridge in your room. ( I don't know if it's extra or not, because I didn't wanted water at all). The reception staff are very nice and ready to help you, the receptionist who works in the morning I liked very much, I am sorry I don't know his name and also Ismail (of course) which is very helpful and nice, also the owners of the hotel are same, herkese selamlar, saygılar :) - (Kind regards to everybody.)
The location of the hotel is good, in Sultanahmet, near main tourist attractions, you can learn easily how to get there with some help, I didn't need help because I knew that area before. I would recommend this hotel first for his good price/quality, second for free airport transfer, and third for the nice and helpful staff that I met. If you are non-smoker, I think is the best choice in area. If they will maintain the three good points I described before, I also want to go there again.

Room Tip: They don't have rooms for smokers!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank RedRoseRo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel is welcoming and and friendly. Breakfast was great, and the front desk are willing to point out any recommendations. Transfers were cheaper than most at about 25 euro(which was worth it for a family of 5). Tramway and the attractions are about 10 mins walk away. Generally no complaints on the room, but since we were 5 adults staying, we only had 1 toilet in our 5-bedroom and the seagulls making alot of noise outside. Would stay here again, very convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Karlstad, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I chosed this hotel for it's many good reviews here on Trip advisor.
And after staying there for 5 nights I can only agree with everybody else. This hotel is great, the staff is very friendly and very helpful. You can always ask for anything and they do their best to help.
The location is great and really close to everything, if you wanna go straight up to the Blue Mosque, Top kapi, Haghia Sophia it takes 2-3 minutes. Or if you wanna go down and walk by the sea and the Bosphorus.
The breakfast is good and well enough to choose from. View is stunning over the sea, a great way to start the day!
Our room was very cozy and I had no problem with it being small. I've stayed in smaller before. And the toilet was fresh and the shower was good aswell.
No complaints on this hotel at all and next time i'm going to Istanbul, this will be my choice of hotel!

3 Thank LillKilberg
Tours, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Tashkonak Hotel is one of the most comfortable and welcoming hotels I have stayed in. It is very clean and well-decorated, and it made us feel very relaxed and at home almost.. The staff is very respectful, smiley and professionnal and would help you with anything (Hi Ismael ;). In a word, it's just a really cool, yet high-standard hotel. I would go back there with my eyes closed ..
We stayed there in the winter so it was quiet, but its location in a small street at the back of the Blue Mosk would make it a quiet place even in high season. It is only a few minutes walk from everything, and Sultanahmet is a beautiful and welcoming area. Istanbul in general is amazing, you have to visit it.. and as I did you will probably go back there for the very charmingTurkish people :)

3 Thank sinead h
Cardiff, South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the hotel. We booked the hotel through an Expedia 'secret room' type offer and paid around £90 for the duration of our stay including breakfast.

You could pick lots of holes in this hotel, but it was clean and tidy and very well located which is all that we really want from a hotel. The staff were all very polite, helpful and spoke excellent English and were more than happy to help out with directions, recommendations for tours etc. They were very quick to take bags to and from our room and were more than helpful when we asked to move rooms after the first night.

Breakfast is served on the very top floor and this appeared to be traditional Turkish cuisine, not quite to our taste, but there were some things that we did enjoy and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. There is a nice view of the river and the Blue Mosque from the breakfast room.

Our only criticism, which really is beyond the control of the staff is the stairs. There are steep marble winding stairs to all levels and there are no corridors, so the rooms are situated on the landings of the stairs. If the early morning call to prayer did not wake you, inconsiderate guests going for breakfast did. It is not a hotel for those that have issued with stairs as there are no lifts, unless you can get a room on the ground floor level, but then you would have the noise of people coming back and forth.

There is free wifi and they provide a computer terminal as well. There is a small fridge in the room (without a mini-bar) so there is plenty of room to store water etc. We had a safe in the wardrobe which is also very handy to have. You are given a remote control to the aircon in the room at check in and this proved very useful in the chilly evenings.

All in all, the hotel is excellently located for a short or long stay in Istanbul. Once you get your bearings, it is only a short walk to the Blue Mosque via a row of shops and there is a street of restaurants and bars a bit further in the other direction. Although the Tashkonak is without the frills and finery of other hotels in the city, this hotel was clean and tidy and we would stay again.

3 Thank MrsTravelaL0t
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

The managers were very courteous and friendly, always helpful in recommending places to visit and routes to take, showing genuine concern to us. The staff in charge of breakfast were also good. They were warm and generous with their smiles, enough to brighten up anyone's day.
The hotel's location is good. It is within walking distance to the Sultanahmet tram station and places worth visiting like the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern and Topkapi Palace.
On the first night, I was in my room alone while my parents were having tea at the lobby, the guy at the front desk was so amazing as to personally send a cup of tea to my room. That was a very sweet gesture which took me by surprise, but it was a pleasant surprise.
The only downside is that we had to keep requesting for a kettle as they do not have enough to go around. However, on the last day, one of the managers told us that they do not leave kettles in the room because people have attempted to boil instant noodles in the kettles.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family