“Just as good second time around”
Review of Tashkonak Hotel

Tashkonak Hotel
Ranked #86 of 1,134 Hotels in Istanbul
Ottawa, Ontario
“Just as good second time around”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This was my second stay at the hotel and the services and facilities continue to be excellent. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the hotel now has free wi-fi, which they did not have 3 years ago. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a lot of additional choices you don't see in hotel buffets, much more home-cooking like. I also appreciated the free airport transfer, the free tea/coffee service in their garden, and the discount if you pay in cash!

I was at first a bit concerned because our rooms were on the street side, not on the garden side as I had the last time, and I thought it might be very noisy. While there is street noise that can seem quite loud, even with windows closed, it did die down relatively early which allowed for good sleeping. There is a mosque right across the street, but it did not always have the early morning call to prayer, which was much appreciated. When it did have though, it did wake me up. So you may want to pack some earplugs, or run the A/C for some background white noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden side room for more quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank libgirl22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Great hotel.. I must say about the staff, cleanliness, rooms everything was so good... I have enjoyed to be there at Tashkonak!!
If i could have a chance to go istanbul again i would love to prefer Tashkonak to stay!!
Great job!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I chosed this hotel after looking trough 40 other hotels nearby:)

Why Tashkonak hotel?
1) its location is perfect, the hotel is only walking distance from the biggest attractions in Sultanahmet.
2) its a small and charming hotel
3) all the positive feedback at tripadvisor
4) it has a roof terrace with magical view and also a tiny but beautiful garden on the 1-floor
5) small hotels has allways better service
6) the rooms were cleaned every day and the towels was changed as well
7) fantastic staff, allways allert and ready to help you at any time

We wanted to stay at Sultanahmet, and since the hotels locations was perfect we choosed Tashkonak hotel. We were 3 persons and therefore booked a trippelroom and it was located at the second floor. The room size were perfect and the surroundings were quiet like we were expecting. Since this hotel is quit old you can expect some noise because of the thin walls but it is not distracting at all. There were also a mosque situated in the front of the hotel but it made our stay just even more exotic. The breakfast was great, tipical turkish breakfast with a variety of selection.

I will recommend this hotel for couples, single, and friends travelling together.
Anyway I would love to and looking forward to stay at Tashkonak hotel in the future. We stayed there almost then days and we didnt experience anything complaning. To your information there is no elevator on this hotel:)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aysegul K
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We had a lovely time at the hotel , the staff looked after us really well . We had come from Ankara after attending a 10 day exhibition and were exhausted but the ambience of the hotel and the welcome that we received made us forget all the exhaustion .
I would highly recommend this hotel .

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Leghari
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Tashkonak for a post-graduate girls trip and were very pleased with the accommodations. We stayed in the small room with two twin beds and found that while it was definitely on the small side, it was clean and comfortable. We only used the room for sleeping and for a break between daytime sightseeing and going out at night. Having read some reviews before we decided to stay here, we knew that the call-to-prayer would be loud (as the Blue Mosque is visible from the window) but we didn't find it to be distracting - I think it woke me up a few times but I wasn't really bothered. The rooftop breakfast was decent and definitely got us off to a good start every morning.
The only thing I wish I knew about the hotel before staying is that it is rather tucked away and removed from some of the more exciting parts of the city. If you are a first-timer to Istanbul and do want to experience these things, I would recommend staying closer to the Beyoglu area (as opposed to Sultanahmet) as the trek even to the Galata Bridge every day after a week became tiresome. The Tashkonak is, however, very conveniently located near all of the historic landmarks (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, etc.). All of these things are beautiful and important to see, but the area around Tashkonak gets a little dead after sunset. If you are younger and interested in equal parts history and late-night then I'd recommend staying elsewhere. This matter of location is no fault of the hotel, which was by all other means very lovely and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank amandaelsewhere
uzumlu, turkey
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We first stayed at Tashkonak through a booking made by a family member, for a family holiday. It was an inspired choice, since have stayed there each time since than that we have visited Istanbul.
The location of the hotel is superb, about five minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and the Hippodrome, about 10 from Aghia Sofia. But it is in a quiet street, away from the bustle found just a few streets away.
The hotel is converted from former family homes, and so the rooms vary in size, but all are adequate and comfortable, and some are wonderfully large and well furnished. All have ceilings beautifully decorated with tulip motifs.
The staff are very friendly indeed, and go out of their way to be helpful and accommodating, and on our first trip, we felt more like friends than hotel guests, a sense that has grown with subsequent visits.
The view from the breakfast terrace is wonderful, with the Blue Mosque on one side, the Sea of Marmaris and the Boshporus on another.
Tashkonak is not an identikit five star hotel, where there is no sense of place. It is a small, friendly hotel that strongly reflects the culture that it exists in. If you need luxurious restaurants and bars, and other 5 star facilities, then it is not for you. If, however, you are looking for a cosy, friendly base from which to explore Istanbul, then Tashkonak is definitely a place to try.
Rehana and Keith Gardiner

Room Tip: Garden side room if you don't want to hear the azan for dawn prayers from the mosque over the ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank keith_gardiner
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My husband and me stayed at the Tashkonak Hotel in April, we found the location was great, walking distance from all Major Monuments and located on a charmin neighborhood. The staff, room service, manager service and always willing to provide directions on anything made us feel very comfortable. But the best came at the end, I forgot my laptop on th taxi, the hotel located, recuperate the laptop and send it to me by express mail!. They are great!. My husband and me definitely will returned to the Hotel Tashkonak next time we are in Estambul. Milagros Flores, Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: My husband and me stayed at the Tashkonak Hotel in April, we found the location was great, walking d...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple