We spent five nights at Tashkonak Hotel and wish we had planned a longer stay. The list of positive features is long and strong:
1. Location in the very center of everything, in a historic district of narrow cobble-stone streets with minarets, brightly lit restaurants and shops around. A peek away from the center, down towards the railway gives also a very interesting impression of non-tourist old Istanbul.
2. Service was great. I believe I can give an assessment of the Tashkonak hotel service as above 3 star level and closer to 4 and 5 star hotels. We never had to wait for anything. Of all the staff we met we have particularly been impressed by excellent work of Mr. Hakan Tastan who was at the reception desk most of the time. We recommend that you contact him.
3. Cleanliness was near perfect and daily cared for. By saying "near perfect" I mean it must be impossible for the maids to also lift the frames and clean the outer side of windows since the wooden window frames are so heavy. It would be just dangerous for the maids, so I agree to some dust on the outer side of glass.
4. Satisfactory breakfast included bowls of cherries and water-melon, eggs, cheese, sausages, vegetables, selection of breads and memorable natural honey with chunks of combs.
5. Interior design and decoration is professional and well-funded. Someone invested serious funds into design, materials and quality workmanship of the marble staircases, heavy solid hard wood doors and window frames, plus many nice paintings on the walls.
On the critical side, our room would make a perfect stylish and clean single, but was a little too small for two people, plus it needed some minor maintenance. The drain in the shower cabin would need some attention so you would not stand in a puddle. The split-system air-conditioning unit right above the bed was constantly struggling with it's inner gears that cracked but could not make the air directing panel to swing as supposed to. A particularly loud set of cracking noise at three in the morning made us wake up and check that the unit wasn't going to fall on our heads. And just to made this review complete, when you go to a Muslim country you are told about the left hand being "unclean", so why were we repeatedly, by various receptionists, given the room key by their left hand?
With all the great pluses and just a few questions, the Tashkonak Hotel is definitely something out of the ordinary and, with all considerations noted above, can be recommended for your enjoyable stay in Istanbul. The information contained above is for information purposes only, and may not apply to your situation. Information provided is subjective. The reviewer does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tashkonak Hotel is located in Sultanahmet - Old City. Our hotel 5/10 minutes walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace. Tashkonak has tastefully restored 33 guestrooms with contemporary decor in rich colours, hardwood floors and wooden Ottoman-style furniture. There are 2 Sea view Suite room on top floor with panoramic view and accessible terrace balcony. All rooms equipped with satellite LCD television, Air Conditioner with self controller, High speed free wireless Internet access (Free WI-FI), Safe Box, central heating, direct-dial telephones and minibar, Wardrobe, Towels, Bed Linen, Slippers. Bathrooms include showers, 24 hour hot water, hair dryers and local toiletries such as shampoo & soap. The hotel serve free buffet breakfast in the covered hotel garden on lobby floor from 07:30 to 10:30. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Tashkonak Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tashkonak Hotel Istanbul