“Charming, stylish and friendly doll house in a fairy tale setting”
Review of Tashkonak Hotel

Tashkonak Hotel
Ranked #89 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Charming, stylish and friendly doll house in a fairy tale setting”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent five nights at Tashkonak Hotel and wish we had planned a longer stay. The list of positive features is long and strong:

1. Location in the very center of everything, in a historic district of narrow cobble-stone streets with minarets, brightly lit restaurants and shops around. A peek away from the center, down towards the railway gives also a very interesting impression of non-tourist old Istanbul.

2. Service was great. I believe I can give an assessment of the Tashkonak hotel service as above 3 star level and closer to 4 and 5 star hotels. We never had to wait for anything. Of all the staff we met we have particularly been impressed by excellent work of Mr. Hakan Tastan who was at the reception desk most of the time. We recommend that you contact him.

3. Cleanliness was near perfect and daily cared for. By saying "near perfect" I mean it must be impossible for the maids to also lift the frames and clean the outer side of windows since the wooden window frames are so heavy. It would be just dangerous for the maids, so I agree to some dust on the outer side of glass.

4. Satisfactory breakfast included bowls of cherries and water-melon, eggs, cheese, sausages, vegetables, selection of breads and memorable natural honey with chunks of combs.

5. Interior design and decoration is professional and well-funded. Someone invested serious funds into design, materials and quality workmanship of the marble staircases, heavy solid hard wood doors and window frames, plus many nice paintings on the walls.

On the critical side, our room would make a perfect stylish and clean single, but was a little too small for two people, plus it needed some minor maintenance. The drain in the shower cabin would need some attention so you would not stand in a puddle. The split-system air-conditioning unit right above the bed was constantly struggling with it's inner gears that cracked but could not make the air directing panel to swing as supposed to. A particularly loud set of cracking noise at three in the morning made us wake up and check that the unit wasn't going to fall on our heads. And just to made this review complete, when you go to a Muslim country you are told about the left hand being "unclean", so why were we repeatedly, by various receptionists, given the room key by their left hand?

With all the great pluses and just a few questions, the Tashkonak Hotel is definitely something out of the ordinary and, with all considerations noted above, can be recommended for your enjoyable stay in Istanbul. The information contained above is for information purposes only, and may not apply to your situation. Information provided is subjective. The reviewer does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this review.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Seven E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I spent a week in Istanbul and this was a great place to use as a home base. Very close to all of the big sights, friendly staff that speak English, clean rooms and good rates. Wifi was spotty but that could have been my phone, rooftop had a nice view of the Blue Mosque. The area is far from the airport but I got there no problem by using the metro and it only cost about $1. I loved my time in this city and if I ever get to go back, I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was in Istanbul for just 2 short days and stayed at Tashkonak Hotel based on a recommendation from a colleague. It turned out to be the perfect place to stay. The hotel is quaint, cozy, and clean, with comfortable rooms and a very nice breakfast. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We were offered tea immediately upon arrival and had a nice chat with one of the staff members while waiting to depart for the airport. The location of the hotel was also ideal. We could walk to all the major sites in Sultanahmet as well as to public transportation and plenty of good restaurants. If I come back to Istanbul, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Molly H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I found this hotel online while we were looking up where to stay in turkey and be walking distance to the haya Sophia, the blue palace, etc. This was one of them! So taking a chance (and reading the reviews), we booked this hotel for our trip to turkey. We could NOT be anymore pleased! The staff was so friendly and the hotel rooms were very clean! The rooms were nice, beautifully and simply decorated. My husband loved it so much that he claims that this is the only hotel he wants to stay in whenever we come to Turkey! Also, EVERYTHING is walking distance from this hotel- so imagine all the money you save on transportation. On top of that, they arranged a very last minute ride for us to get to the airport at 3 am! I'm so thankful!

Of course, there were cons, but very few! The only one that stands out is that I couldnt really gain access to their free wifi.

Room Tip: Sea side rooms are gorgeous!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Nashita K
Kuwait
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I paid for double room , they gave me sea view suite , also 6 months ago they do same , free upgrade , one year ago they gave me extra discount about 10 %
I feel homely in that hotel , very best staff , all of them , especially mr ismail , helpful & convenient
Neat & clean hotel , they care about guests ,superb home made breakfast , excellent room service
no alcohol no nightclub
safe place even in late night ,
also if have a car they can help u to find free parking , also u can keep the keys with them ,
I keep my luggages for 1 day their for free
its my favorite hotel in sultanahmad & i advice it for my friends and family , thanks alot tashkonak hotel

Room Tip: No left take ground floor if u have aged guests
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is perfect. There is nothing to complain about. Its location is excellent, a 2 minute walk from the best part of sultanahmet! That is not the best part.The best part is the staff. Their service is exemplary. They make you feel at home. The are willing to help you in just about anything and are one of the most friendly people I have come across. You will definitely not regret staying at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sundeep G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at Hotel Tashkonak for four nights in May 2014. The staff were very helpful, friendly, and polite. Our room was clean and quiet. The breakfast buffet is excellent. The hotel is located right around the corner from the Blue Mosque. We were very happy with our stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends