“Basic facilities, excellent view, great staff !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanedan Hotel

Hanedan Hotel
Ranked #313 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
New Delhi, India
“Basic facilities, excellent view, great staff !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

As always, booked our stay at Handen reading reviews from Trip Advisor.
I was a bit skeptical about the location - i presumed it would be in some narrow bylane, but the location was just perfect - walking distance from Sultanahmet, tram station, the sea ... everything !! And the lane is full of the best restaurants in town - where one can feast on Turkish cuisine any time of the day. We spent most of the evenings walking around ..

Check in was smooth & we were cheerfully helped by Sezgin (a very soft spoken person) to take our stuff all the way to our room. He was very helpful in helping us decide our itinerary & suggested on things to do during our stay.
The rooms are basic & clean.
The breakfast is amazing, served everyday at the rooftop with breathtaking views - overlooking the sea & Blue Mosque, by a very sweet lady...
Mashallah also met us the next day (he is more talkative than Sezgin !!) and helped us plan our day.
Overall, highly recommended - great value for money :)

Room Tip: ask for the sea facing rooms, while you book. Also, no elevators .. so travel light !!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NeerajMarwah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane Queensland Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I can only agree with the comments of Stanbury99 and others. I arrived at Ataturk airport and was greeted by a driver who took me directly to the hotel. I was then greeted by a gentleman at the reception desk who took me to my room, I would like to pay special attention to the housekeeper man who assisted me in calling a tour company that failed to pick me up. He rang on my behalf and help sort the problem out.
Yes I was given the royal treatment with a view of the sea and can only criticize the lack of towel rails to hang wet towels.
The location is very good close to all the restaurants mosques etc. as well close to the trams and the metro. I was able to go back to the airport by tram and then connect with the metro. All in all it only took 45 minutes to arrive at Ataturk airport for about 4 lira...very cheap transport.
The Turkish breakfast was excellent and well laid out.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the top overlooking the sea. Good breeze as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter F
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Great location close to major visitor sites in Istanbul. The view from breakfast terrace is superb and the breakfast excellent with lovely lady (though little English) to assist. The sea view as promised was a bit restricted and lack of towel hangers was a minor issue made up for by all the positives of the Hotel. Staff willing to help in any way.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stanbury99
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have often stayed at this hotel over the years. It's convenient, but quiet and comfortable, delivers on its promises, and is not expensive. Quite clean. The staff are always friendly and helpful. Good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I am a history professor from California, taking my first trip to Istanbul. Hanedan--which I knew nothing about except what I learned on the internet--proved to be the perfect choice for my seven nights here. Hanedan is well-located within an easy walk of the major sites (a distinction it shares with dozens of small hotels in the area south of the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque); it offers airport pick-up service; it has a wonderfully friendly, knowledgeable, and multi-lingual staff; and it provides a generous and delicious Turkish breakfast (included in the price) served on the roof-top terrace with unobstructed views of the Hagia Sophia on the one side and the Bosporus on the other, The rooms (I experienced two of them over the course of my stay) are immaculate and well equipped not only with comfortable beds (I slept like a baby) but desks and nightstands with plenty of drawers, and a free-standing wardrobe. The water in the shower was always hot and fresh towels and soap appeared every day. The only sound I heard at night were the muezzins of the nearby mosques. I am writing this on my last day, having just had my last Hanedan breakfast. I will miss this place and will be certain to stay here the next time.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong. There is no elevator, so if you don't want to climb as many stairs, you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank canilupe
Paarl, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great - the major tourist attractions and public transport are walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is also just around the corner of a busy street with lots of restaurants to choose from.

The décor of the hotel itself is not high-end, but for the price the rooms are very clean and has all the necessities. As with most of the European cities, the staircases are steep and may be a problem for the less mobile. Breakfast is served on the terrace with amazing views (360deg). The breakfasts were more than sufficient for our group - although the same every day, this did not bother us at all as the selection was great.

The staff was very helpful but the language barrier can be a problem at times. We stayed for 5 nights at the start of our trip and booked a single night to catch our flight the next day after travelling further on in Turkey. They missed this booking and overbooked the hotel on this last day (after confirming the booking on arrival). We were placed in another hotel which was not of the same standard. The one room was a staff room and very dirty etc. They allowed us to eat breakfast the next day at Hanedan after we requested it as the breakfast served at the other hotel was inedible. The was a disappointing end to an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AH_Lourens
jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Experienced 2 types of rooms in Hanedan because they had to moved us; the double room that we initially booked, and then the family room. Loved the later sooo much! Spacious ( comes in 2 separate bedrooms) and superb view from our corner windows facing directly the Bosphorus.

Receptionists are the friendliest and most welcoming people I've ever met. They go far and beyond to assist you. Just mentioned it and they will provide help anytime. The same goes for the room cleaner and the breakfast lady, they both speak very little english but were very nice.

Booking was also easy, price are wonderful considering the location, merely 5 minutes walking to Sultanahmet Square, where everything to see and experienced are located. Check in, they already know who I am before I even present my passport to them :)

The only downside is the quality of bed. I think its just being old, firmness is an issue, well at least for me, and it clearly shows. Oh, and also no elevator :(

But, its really nothing compare to the other good things this hotel can offer.

Most loved experiences in Hanedan would be the view from our room window, and breakfast with a view! Loved to go back there one day. Highly recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple