“Cool reception and an overall disappointment”

Ottoman Palace Taksim Square Hotel
Ranked #680 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Canberra, Australia
“Cool reception and an overall disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2007

Not much endears this hotel 'except' is location. It is right on Taksim Square and only seconds from the night life of Istanbul. I arrived to a cool reception and that was about all the service that was supplied over the four days that I stayed there. Previously I had stayed at the great Dersaadet Hotel on the southern side of the Golden Horn and the difference between the two hotels could not have been greater. Being right on Taksim Square is certainly advantageous and the views, if you are on the upper floors, are good. However, on my return from a tour about ten days later I had a room on the opposite side to my original room, down low, and I had a spectacular view of the Air Conditioning plant (as AC plants go, I've seen better). The Taksim Square was clean and tidy I admit but it was also rather noisy as well. I was awoken quite often by noise coming up from the Square in the early hours. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again, especially when there is the Dersaadet on the other side of town. It is a 'Tourist Hotel' and that's all one should expect.

• Liked — Good location and views over the city
  • Disliked — Noisey on the Taksim Square side, staff neither friendly nor helpful
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Gaius_Tacitus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Epsom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

My wife and I had planned to splurge a little for our last night in Istanbul...wish we had heard of tripadvisor before!
The location was great however as the other reviews state, the service was way below par. We had experienced great hospitality throughout Turkey but even asking for a clean pillow case was too much to ask.

• Stayed October 2007
2 Thank P_Coakes

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Nicosia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2007

Hotel is situated at a perfect location for any traveller. Either forr pleasure or for business. However hotel has to be re-furnished immediately. Room standarts are very poor and old fashioned. Beds are very uncomfortable, there is an very old air ventilation system. You can't even think of sleeping when the air ventilation is on because of heavy noise. Housekeeping and other staff are polite and smlie to you but not the reception. I think i catch two different shifts but all shifts have very rude, very impolite staff. I have stayed there for 2 nights and move to another hotel at my last night of stay at Istanbul. So, hotel has a perfect locatin just at the heart of city but very oldfashioned rooms and impolite reception staff. I realy can't beleive that this hotel has 4 stars.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — noise of the air ventilation system, rude
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank pudra
Brıghton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

Having booked a double room at the hotel we arrived at night to find that we were put into a twin room. We said we would not accept that and were told at the reception desk our room would be changed in the morning. However, the next morning, with a change of staff, we were told we could not change rooms as the hotel was fully booked. Strangely enough we overheard a Turkish man complaining about his room booking and he wanted to change two rooms, which they seemed to take care of. When we asked yet again to have ours changed, they shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do. We had asked to see the manager twice, but apparently he was always out on the street somewhere. At that point I said we would check out and wanted a refund. They took no notice. I believe they thought we were bluffing. Still at the reception desk I phoned the Turkish agency that made the booking - a very helpful company. They heard me talking to the agent and, hey presto, seconds into my phone conversation they came up with a double room.
The next fiasco was over an extra pillow. I phoned twice to housekeeping, but they never answered the phone. We asked twice at the front desk and were assured that a pillow would be delivered to our room. It never appeared. When we came in at the end of the night and asked the night reception staff for a pillow, the man shouted and hurled abuse saying that we should have asked for one earlier. Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing! We were then told there were no spare pillows as the hotel was full. What a load of nonsense! Yet another miracle - a pillow was found and reluctantly brought to our room, but not without a screaming match to get one.
The last night we were there we bought a bottle of water and a bottle of coke to take back to our room. We were stopped by the same rude night desk staff member and told we could not bring them into the hotel. I have never heard of any such thing, regardless of how much any hotel might want to sell their minibar drinks. He was adamant and said that if we did not leave them in the reception he would call the police! We thought he was off his head. We did take the drinks back to our room and no police arrived. We went to see the manager about the situation the next day but he was still absent (or so they said).
We have travelled around the world and stayed in 2* hotels up to 5* hotels, mainly the latter. We have never been treated so appallingly by anyone or any hotel in the world.
A word of warning - If any of you decide you will stay at this hotel, make sure you have a room at the back of the hotel, overlooking the Bosphoros. The front overlooks the main square and is incredibly noisy - the call to prayer from the mosque across the street and the constant loudspeakers of the police right through the night could drive you crackers.
We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are far better ones on the side streets in Taksim.

• Liked — the view over the Bosphoros, at the back of the hotel, above the 4th floor
  • Disliked — rudeness of staff, shortage of room comforts, lack of city information in room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank 2_4_Turkey
Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2007

The lobby and rooms are a four-star level in my opinion, especially compared with many other hotels I have seen in various parts of Turkey. But the service was terrible! Although we were paying $200 per night for our room, there is a sign in the lobby prohibiting guests from taking any food or drink to their rooms---even water. You are expected to buy the very expensive water from the minibar, which is $4 a bottle; water at the markets on the street cost 30 cents. Some other guests told us they even had staff at the hotel confiscate the water and pieces of chocolate they were bringing to their rooms---although they were told they would be returned to them as they were leaving!

We had another problem when we forgot to remove our Do Not Disturb sign from our door as we left one day, and the room was not made up. When we called down and asked if we could at least get some clean towels, we were told that it was impossible, as housekeeping closed at 5 p.m., and they didn't have a key!

The attitude and approach of the staff was extremely disappointing because most of the Turkish people I have met are warm, friendly, and helpful beyond expectation.

If you want a comfortable room in a good location, this is a good choice, but don't expect good service.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
6 Thank I_Love_Istanbul
Nicosia, Cyprus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2007

its not 4 star hotel in my mind its 1 star hotel. Hotel looks like a shop which is bunkrupt and emtying itself by selling everything half price. Rooms confort is level of 1 star hotel. Find another hotel around taksim square, that hotel ll be ur the worsest selection in this location......

• Liked — istanbul is ok but hotel is rubbish
  • Disliked — hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — around of taksim u can find so many class hotels
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank matakan
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2006

I agree with the previous review. I would not rate this hotel 4 star. maybe 2. Location is great. Always request Boshorus view. Taksim side could be noisy. Breakfast was good and view was great. Even though my room was non smoking still smelled like someone smoked in the room.

Rooms looks warned out and very dark. Beds are small and bathroom shower door was broken.

Be carefull changing money at Taksim square. Always use the bank. If in desperation check the money you receive from the change location. I ended up with fake 20 Turkish lira. It's hard to tell the conterfeit money. Watch out for pick pockets.

Would I stay at this hotel again? If I was on budget YES. I will check other properties next time.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled solo