“Very Rude Manager”

Ottoman Palace Taksim Square Hotel
Ranked #682 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Three of us, three senior ladies from California, stayed at this hotel in late May 2013. Our stay coincided with the turmoil at the next door square. We didn't get much sleep at all as during the first few nights the young people chanted at the square all night and then came the police and tear gas, etc. We finally had to leave and go to another hotel. The manager, who was extremely rude and uncooperative, insisted that we had to pay for the remaining nights as well. We got into a big argument with him. This apart, the rooms were small and hot (when you leave the room, you need to take the room key (card) with you, which is the card you need to get your AC system working. All in all, this hotel was the worst experience of our lives! Stay away from it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sim D

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is wonderful, with a small door as an entrance you are not 100% sure of what to expect on the inside but the interior is fantastic. We booked a corner room suite overlooking taksim square so we could watch all the celebrations. The room was huge with so much space it was refreshing, the bathroom was newly decorated and had a fantastic power shower.

We didnt eat at the hotel as we know Istanbul well and so went out to eat. however for anyone wanting to visit Istanbul it is a marvellous base. Very close to the Metro and within easy walking distance of a number of tourist sites.

I would definitely rebook the hotel when back in Istanbul and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for rooms overlooking Taksim Square.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The good things areThe room was clean and large, the location, is almost excellent, most of the hotel staff were frindly.On the other hand the breakfast was the same during my stay (8 days).
But I would recommend staying at this hotel while visiting Istanbul..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
1  Thank bandar2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I usually write when I am relatively happy or moderately concerned about the hotel. This is not the case here... my travel agency booked me and my colleague two rooms at Ottoman Palace Taksim Square, after all those good reviews at tripadvisor. The receptionist (very polite and professional) gave me the keycard for room 507 (and 707 to my colleague). Be aware: Rooms ending at xx7 are horrible! They are the only ones - on every floor- facing an... air duct (see attached pictures). The hotel advertises rooms with either view on Taksim sq. or the Bosphorus... yeah right! The room (507), was the worst room I've ever stayed (always comparing to other 4* hotels); lack of fresh air, lack of natural light, lack of proper ventilation in the toilet that did not allow odors escape the room, a continuous hum coming from the air duct and hot as hell. The minibar's power supply and the room's AC would shut every time I removed the keycard from the power supply slot on the wall, making everything inside even hotter; and it was only February (imagine how hot it would be during summer). The secondary sequrity lock on the door was a joke (see pic). The safety box inside the closet was a "take-along" safety box (see pics... I just picked it up from the closet and put it on the bed with no effort). All the above apply to room 707 as well (expect for the safety box.. there was none in 707). The onlly positive thing about the room was the relatively new decoration and the space which was ample. Look... I know I am being sarcastic but when a 4* hotel offers this kind of ammenities to its customers it does not worth being called a 4* hotel. I did not complain to the management, they do not deserve it; 4* hotel managements should know better than giving away rooms like this one to their customer. I do not have an opinion about the rest of the rooms and I honestly do not care... the cage the gave me is what I will remember.

Room Tip: Do NOT let them put you in any room ending at 7 (eg 107,207,307 etc)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
20  Thank ZPtraveller
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

The location is in the heart of Istanbul but very noisy if you choose the taksim square view,I think they must change the most impolite manager i had ever seen! The rooms are so dirty,they didn't even change the bed clothes while my staying,the breakfast is poor,I changed the hotel after 2 days of my staying,to senator hotel in taksim!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Areejdaas
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

The place is very strategic. That one I can't deny. I booked a corner suite but it didnt turn out as I expected. The room was a bit smaller than in the picture. And there's no bath tub. I got the Taksim Square view & it's nice to see the atmosphere of Taksim.

The breakfast buffet really needs to improve. Add more food.

During check out, I was so upset. They said a packet of condom was missing. So I had to pay for it. And when they check for the second time, 2 tins of coke were missing. I didnt even drink that coke! Before I left that room, 2 tins of coke were in the fridge. How's that possible? The 1st time they check, the cokes were there, and the 2nd time, cokes were missing. Obviously the cleaner took 'em! But I still had to pay for it. Costs me 80 TL! Frustrating.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emira A
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay very nice clean hotel and service was exellent. its at the door step to taksim square. When we originaly booked this there were mixed reviews so we had to take a risk, do not regret one bit. over all 100%

however they can improve there breakfast buffett.

Highly Recommend