“Nice Hotel away from the rush”

Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel
Ranked #158 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Devon, Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel away from the rush”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We just got back after a week stay. We had 3 rooms and there were 8 of us. This is a city hotel which means the rooms are a bit smaller. Very modern rooms. However the rooms and the bathrooms were in great shape. The views from the hotel was brilliant. The staff was the best part of this hotel. They were extremely pleasant, very helpful and courteous. A special mention to the 2 Navigators, Anil and Hasan who were brilliant in helping us with the sight seeing. We did not use the trips they arranged but their suggestions were amazing. The other staff member who deserves a special shout out to is the bell boy, Mehren(may be I am spelling it badly). He worked the day shift and he was great. Found us taxis, gave up great tips about do's and dont's. Great hotel. Thanks.

Room Tip: Spend a few bucks and get the Bosphorous view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel.

It is great to receive such positive comments about our services and staff , especially our Navigators and bell team. I personally shared your kind words with them and they were delighted to hear as well.

It is great to receive such positive comments which motivate us to go above and beyond. Our highest priority is to provide our guest a memorable stay.
We always look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to discover something wonderfully new.

Anil Boydas Tinaz - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed 5 nights Jan 2014 for a business trip.

Hotel was in good location in Besiktas, with some restaurants and shops nearby, as well as being able to walk to the waterfront and enjoy the views (half hour walk). Not that close to the centre of Istanbul with all the sights, however , unlike some of the other hotels, but there is enough to do around of an evening and it is fast enough to reach the tourist areas with a taxi ride.

Journey to airport is very dependent on traffic. One journey to 40 mins in the late afternoon, and another time took 90 mins in the evening. Seemed quicker to take the tunnel route.

The hotel is quite new and everything is in great condition, from the public areas to the rooms. Contemporary design throughout, which was a great relaxing environment away from the busy streets. The bar on the top floor had great views over the city and is a nice place to have a beer before going out for dinner.

Hotel staff very friendly and welcoming, and remembered my name throughout the stay, which was a great touch. Everyone I spoke to was able to speak English to a really high standard as well.

The gym and pool area was top quality and was a real bonus to use - the swimming pool is massive and was quiet every time I went there. Note, you have to wear a swimming cap, which you can purchase if you do not have one.

Overall, would definitely recommend as a place to stay in Istanbul for either work or a short break and really enjoyed my stay here.

Room Tip: High floors have floor to ceiling windows with fantastic views across the city
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoy your visit and the staff exceed your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Renaissance as part of a 3-day long business meeting. The rooms are modern, nicely furnished, clean, highly functional. My room had beautiful views of the Bosphorus. The staff was pleasant and efficient, and highly courteous. The food is excellent. Since this is a work-related trip, we did not go out much, but the hotel seems fairly well situated to key attractions. It is also conveniently located from the airport, which is a plus in Istanbul where traffic can add hours to a commute.

Do not miss the roof top bar facility, which features beautiful views of the city.

Room Tip: Request a floor higher than 5th floor, on the Bosphorus side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel. We are delighted to read that the Hotel and the amenities exceeded your expectations.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a nice hotel with truly great contemporary rooms. They really were very nice. The rooftop bar is a kinda cool place to hangout too, and it has a reasonably good gym/(indoor) pool area. I

The downside is that it's not in a particular great location (but it worked reasonably well for proximity to the office I needed to visit). The food/beverage is a bit limited. Both restaurants serve the same food, and it's "okay" but really not that great and I got served two glasses of very corked wine during my 4 day stay. The customer service is good if/when you can get someone's attention, but it's a bit flat-footed and not exactly anticipatory (which it should be in a 5-star hotel). I'm putting this down to the hotel's relative new-ness. I think there's potential here with a few kinks ironed out. But the rooms are really nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We highly value our guest comments and consider them as one of our best opportunity in order to increase our quality of service and product.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is quite different to most other Renaissance hotels I've stayed at. It has a very "boutique-y" feel to it. It is easy to get to and from the sirport - I travelled at 9pm from Ataturk, and then at 4.30pm to the airport - both journeys taking a lot less than the hour I had anticipated.
The doormen were very welcoming, and the reception is quite different: very small and modern, with individual "pods" rather than one big desk.
There is an open plan coffee area/bar on the ground floor, although I did find service a little slow here, it was good for meetings.
My room was on the 15th floor, with nice views. It is a completely non-smoking hotel,which means it smells fresh and clean. My room was quite small, but unlike other hotels with little rooms, it still felt spacious. The bed was large and very comfortable. There wasn't a bath, but there is a decent shower.
A personal bugbear is that there is no complimentary wifi in the room - downstairs and in public areas it is free, but as a frequent business traveller, staying at a lot of marriott hotels and holding a silver card, complimentary wifi would go a long way, especially having recently stayed at a couple of Crowne Plaza hotels, where I am a basic loyalty card holder, it's free.
The gym is functional, and there is a lovely spa, with a sauna, steam room and ice showers.
Breakfast was good - nothing exciting, but good. I would definately recommend trying the Turkish cheeses if that's your thing, and the bircher muesli/ yoghurt with granola looked lovely, although wasn't put out until after I'd finished.
Whilst in Istanbul, I fell for an age old taxi scam. This happened to me once before in Beijing, where the hotel doormen/security wanted nothing to do with it and offered no help. Here, they couldn't have been kinder. They translated for me and pacified the taxi driver (who had also been scammed), and were really sympathetic. For that I will be grateful, although I did feel like an idiot!
The rooftop bar is lovely, and I'm sure the views would have been amazing on a clear day, but from arrival to departure it poured with rain! I had dinner both here and in the downstairs lobby bar: both menus are good, with a fair choice.
I did find however that some of the staff had quite poor English, and when I asked something, they had to run off and find someone to translate.
I would definately return to this hotel: the location is great for my meetings, about 15mins by taxi from Taksim Square and about 20mins from the Spice Bazaar.The service is great and the hotel felt really clean and modern with everything I needed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WoodTiger77
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I must say that in Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel I was very impressed with the very welcoming and positive atmosphere and “can do” attitude of the staff. The hotel staff could not have been more professional or helpful. Smily and committed to service. Pleasant talk to the Navigator person who has separate desk if you need any assistance or advice for good restaurant or sightseeing tours. They will give you the best tips! I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again. Breakfast is a large selection, as well as, items cooked to order. You must try Indigenous Benedict Eggs and Turkish specialties from the buffet and famous olives and cheese. Spacious buffet with wide variety of food and very nice presentation. Service at the SPA is outstanding (I have had face, arms and foot massage). My family and friends told me that I look younger and fresh! Fitness area and swimming pool – really fantastic. Lobby area very cozy (like at home) with nice decoration. You can read fabulous albums and cookbooks from different countries. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. I have slept very comfortably on the high quality mattress, linen and pillow. Interiors decorated with taste. It was amazing and unforgettable two days and I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone - the staff were incredible, the views are breathtaking (Europe and Asia in one) and location are great. One very important issue: I left my scarf (valuable one) in the taxi while going to the airport. I have send mail to the hotel and they found taxi driver and than arrange delivery of my scarf to Poland. Very appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest,

It is great to receive such positive comments about our services and staff , especially our Navigators. I personally shared your kind words with them and they were delighted to hear as well.

As Renaissance Brand we believe; “no matter where or why you travel, there is always something wonderfully new to discover.” We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Turkish people are always warm and welcoming and this hotel has attracted the best team. Starting from the Doorman to help you from the car and with your luggage, to the chef who personally brings you your breakfast omelette. Reception is light, bright and of course excellent language skills by all staff.

The hotel rooms are an excellent size, with a really good sized bathroom and great power shower. (Remember to specifically request a room with a bath, not just a shower if that is your preference). The huge windows with city views, a clever design means you can still get natural light in the bathroom, with a sliding door if you prefer bathroom privacy from the bedroom.

The beds are very comfortable, room temperature easy to adjust and the self-service coffee/tea/still water tray a breath of fresh air that most European hotels don't provide. Rooms are very well maintained and spotless, with flat screen TV, iron, etc.

Don't miss a visit to the R floor roof bar for the view whilst the spacious M1 dining room is also used for breakfast. Don't over-order at dinner or fill up on the delicious onion topped bread - the portions are large and even the most enthusiastic eater will struggle to go 3 courses.

I personally recommend a massage at the spa - ask for Ozdemir Cansiz if you need neck and shoulder work although this isn't for the fainthearted. He will massage and crick you back into shape in 45 minutes. I didn't use the gym or large indoor pool/saunas however they looked well maintained and whilst used, not too busy.

The weather during my February visit was dry and warm compared to Europe. Bring your European winter coat, however only need to button it up in the evenings.

TIP: you pay for wifi in the rooms, either for 2 hours or 24 hours. Wifi at reception and dining room is free so just take your time downstairs over a coffee or Efes beer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nickitravel
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We will be honored to welcoming you back next month.

General Manager - Anil Boydas Tinaz