“Average food, excellent atmosphere!”

Kumkapi Ege Restaurant
Ranked #5,939 of 13,822 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had a late dinner at Ege. The starters were quite cheap and vert tasty. The fried calamari is definetely a must and was the highlight of the meal. As a main course we had salt baked fish. Quite fun to watch the preparation, but rather boring to eat. The best of all was the atmosphere out on the street, quite crowded, lost of music and Turkish culture. Wine was expensive. All in all it is a recommended place to dine.

There are newer reviews for Kumkapi Ege Restaurant

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had a diner in this restaurant but when we ask for the food we had to wait a lot and more to that the wasnt good very poor ,more to that the big problem when we payed they charged us more money and they juge it that is like services fees it means obligatory tip??!!! more than 20%. when we ask the manager to explain us why he dosent care to us and he obliged to pay .
Dont go to this bad location because is just hassels.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Taking a foray into Kumkapi will put your wallet in jeopardy -- not from muggers lurking on street corners on dark and dingy Tiyatro street (if you are walking down from the main street of Divan Yolu) but from crafty, exploitative restauranteurs and greedy waiters.
In this instance, written on the menu is 9 TL for Efes Beer but when you get the bill you pay 15TL because the 9 TL is only for "small" bottles and the 15TL is for "big" bottles (yet no such distinction is written on the menu and 15TL does not appear at all in relation to beer). I still regard beer as better than wine in these Kumkapi restaurants generally but be aware of the big-little bottle scam and lack of transparency on the menu.
If you take mezes, choose only those of vegetable (eggplant, red pepper) as the fish items are over the top (although, in fariness, the marinated octous tastes good but is poor value for money for 25TL). Others like the marinated shrimp have no taste or do not taste good (shrimp guvich).
The bill you get is largely illegible in terms of the description of the ordered items and I found myself having to question the waiter about various prices. I realized that I'd been taken on the beer. At the end, they take away the bill so you have no documentation of how your money is siphoned-off. You leave feeling pretty annoyed. In addition, they take on an extra 15% service charge to the bill.
If you walk down you will pass on your left to mini-markets that have bottles of wine on display and you might want to enquire of prices for a couple as reference prices for wine you might order in Kumkapi. Of course, you should expect to pay around double but you can protect yourself from paying grossly inflated prices in the restaurant of your choice in Kumkapi. A bottle of Kavaklidere Lal (rose) should cost 35 TL in a shop so you shouldn't pay more than 70 TL in the restaurant.
I would ask to see the menu of any Kumkapi establish before you sit down and ask prices of all unclear items and stipulate the bottle you want before you decide on a place. Don't give in to restaurant touts and don't accept the "free" transfers from your hotel because you'll be paying much more for the transfer than the cost of round-trip taxi fare, You'll be captured customers subject to extortionate prices.
In my opinion, it is long overdue for the Turkish government to crack down on unethical business practices exploiting tourists in restaurants in places like Kumkapi. I have eaten in restaurants throughout the Middle East lieterally from Tangier to Teheran over the course of the last 18 years but in no other country have I witnessed the consistency of rip-offs as in Istanbul.
Before I sign off I want to take issue with JimboGloucester who states that "it is difficult to spoil fish." On the contrary, the fish can be frozen too long defrosted and then refrosted after which the fish will have no taste and won't come off the bone easily; or it can be over-done or under-done, too oily (if fried) or fried in used oil using wrong oil, etc. I have eaten in Kumkapi at other establishments (e.g Kor Agop) and I have never had any fish I would characterize as delicious -- all you can hope for is mediocrity and not being badly ripped-off. bull_08? Bull - Name says all))

1  Thank RichardThomas2001
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is a fish restaurant in the middle of swinging Kumkapi. The atmosphere is great with lots of small bands playing and singing. We had a great time!

The food was good but it is difficult to spoil fish. The place is not cheap and beware of the 15% service charge automatically added.

Would i go again? yes but only for a special occasion.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Every time I go for a meal at Ege (and believe me, you'll want to go there again anytime you're in Istanbul) I feel welcomed, at home and immersed in a truly Turkish atmosphere. It's not the perfect place if you want a meal surrounded by other tourists, but for a 'full immersion' in Turkish culture this is the best place. Start off with one of their amazing 'meze' (cold starters), then continue the meal with a great fish (or meat, if you must) dish (I'd advice 'cupra', trout, it's excellent!) and end with their (normally complimentary) desserts and fruit. You'll feel welcomed and enjoy a truly traditional turkish meal (and I know what I'm talking about, having been out and about in Istanbul and Turkey for 10 years!)... Accompany the meal with Efes beer served ice cold and a glass of their traditional drink, 'raki'. The waiters are very helpful, and even though it's an open air restaurants it's never cold, and you can be outside during the winter too as they have overhead heating which perfectly does the job. Fish perfectly grilled (calamari in particular), great quality of service, friendly personnel, good visual presentation and aspect of the dishes and an excellent time and entertainment (live Turkish band playing traditional Turkish songs using violins and other instruments) at the tables directly. An excellent place for a meal in Istanbul if you're in the area! Definitely worth heading there! (And compared to its competitors next to it and in the adjacent streets, it's the most beautiful and friendly restaurant too, for a great price!)... Also, perfect to celebrate a special occasion!