“Dining Out in a Turkish Way - good itinerary, terrible guide”
Review of Istanbul Walks

Istanbul Walks
Book In Advance
US$85.20*
and up
Bosphorus Full-Day Sightseeing Tour: Golden Horn and Bosphorus Cruise, Spice...
US$91.28*
Istanbul by Night: Turkish Food Tour
US$29.21*
Whirling Dervish Show in Istanbul
Ranked #108 of 415 Tours in Istanbul
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I book the tour by phone as soon as I landed in Istanbul, The guide, Abdullah is a newbie in the company, doesn't speak good English and he don't explain much about the food. What pissed me off the most is he spend more time eating than explaining, more like he is having a feast! First, no kıraathane, because the first one that we visited is full - is there only one kiraathane in Istanbul?. Second, no ocakbasi by the grill, we just had a regular grill in a restaurant. We tried to taste one of the food, he advice us to taste one but ate more than us and lastly he is disrespectful to the oldies. He just pick a cherries from one of the elderly man without paying until he was scolded by him ( I don't understand their language but I do know when people are angry). That's it for me, I never experience such a lousy guide in my life. I simit divided to 3, 1 simit with sausage divided into 3, water, 1 pickle juice per person, 2 teas person and 1 coffee, 1 beef grill with side dishes per person, 1 kokorec sandwich divided into 3, 1 tripe soup per person, a plate of melon and cheese for 3 (4 pcs of melon), 2 pc of midyek, no live music, no raki (we don't drink alcohol) for 70 Euro - do the math. I don't mind paying but it must be worth it, not worthless.

1  Thank Jamielah
There are newer reviews for Istanbul Walks

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was one of my favorite tours yet. Yuke was our tour guide; she was friendly, warm, and all around fantastic. She provided great insight into the Turkish culture, while we walked around Taksim square and the surrounding area. We got to experience great Turkish cuisine and tried traditional food that we would never have tried on our own. We LOVED this tour and would highly recommend it to anyone who has an open mind and wants to truly experience the city and its culture.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We took the day tour to Spice Bazaar, Rustem Pasha Mosque, Golden Horn and Bosphorus Cruise, Camlica Hill and Dolmabahçe Palace. We were a small group, 10 for the first part and 6 from lunch onwards. The tour was good, we had a large boat to ourselves, and the boat trip gave a good feel for the city layout and the sights. The Dolmabahçe Palace is well worth a visit. Lunch is included, nothing grand but perfectly acceptable in a pleasant restaurant with a view over the Bosphorus.
Our guide was Yuke, she is knowledgeable and engaged - and great fun. I would use her again.
The value at €55 (hotel price) including lunch and tickets for the palace is very good.
Overall to be recommended.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We wanted a full day private tour so we could choose, with the assistance of the guide, where to go and be able to spend how long or little time we wanted at each place. Our hotel the Neorion (See separate review) recommended Istanbul Walks.

Our guide was Serhat and he was superb. We chatted with him explaining what we wanted to see and he arranged our itinerary. Our tour was a full day, 9am to 5pm He arrived at 8-30am and we did not finish until 6pm, and at no extra charge.

Serhat was very knowledgeable and able to explain in as little or as much detail as you wanted, he spoke excellent English and was fun to be with. He had a good sense of humour and was someone you would comfortably enjoy spending a day with.

We learned that part of Sehat’s job is to train other guides and also hotel staff. Whilst the cost of a private guide for two people is marginally more than the cost of a set tour for two for three or more people it is a saving.

In conclusion I have no hesitation in recommending Istanbul Walks.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Thank you Istanbul Walks for the wonderful tour (and a big thumbs up to my fabulous tour guide Sanem. I saw all the big sites on this 10 hour tour and also received so many historical facts and suggestions for my time in Istanbul. My tour guide really made the experience one to remember. I would HIGHLY recommend this tour if you are looking to see the city (plus they have 40 other additional tours daily).

Thank you Sanem and Istanbul Walks for really making my trip. I enjoyed your tour immensely.

-New York