Hodjapasha Cultural Center
Istanbul Hodjapasha Rhythm of The Dance Show

Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Hodjapasha Cultural Center
2,150 results
All reviews dance show religious ceremony cultural experience dervish rumi tickets prayer
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 November 2017

The building where the dance show was performed is an old bath house that has been beautifully revamped as a performance venue. I've travelled to Turkey several times before and seen "the real thing" when it comes to Turkish folk dancing, and what I saw that night at Hodja Pasha was nothing like it; it lacked authenticity and passion. Perhaps that's because most of the dancers were of Eastern european origin and they could absolutely not shake it on the dance floor as the only Turkish belly dance did. You can tell they lack the rhythm in their blood. On top of that, I sent them an email asking which seats we were given because when you buy the tickets online it doesn't say any row or seat number, but they never replied to my email which I found quite nonchalant. It turned out you get a seat number on the night of the event and you have no right to swop seat with anyone else, even if you're sitting right behind someone who's a lot wider than you are. My advice, try to find another dance show, there must be a lot better ones in Istanbul, because I sincerely can't recommend the show at Hodja Pasha. Big disappointment!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Nando_Amentas
hodjapasha, Owner at Hodjapasha Cultural Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Review Owner ,
We did not receive a mail from you about seating arrangments. If we did we would answer you definetely. We allocate seats in accordance with First Booked First Served basis. No theater in the world can guarantee you what size of person will seat in front of you. The theater was not full at that night and you would change your seat easily if you wanted so. You were allowed to do that.
About dancers : 90 % of our dancers are Turkish and they are some of the best and passionate among professional dancers in Istanbul . Belly dancer is also Turkish . We present Turkish authentic dances in modern choreography. It does not mean that they are unauthentic.

Reviewed 21 November 2017

There are two shows that are done at Hodjapasha - the Sufi dancing show (I am paraphrasing here) and the Rhythm of the Dance show. The Sufi show sounded very boring so my wife and I went to the Rhythm of the Dance.

The show was quite good - the time went quickly and the dancing is varied although some of the sets are odd - one set had the ladies wearing chandaliers on their head - no I am not joking) and dressed rather provocatively. I couldn't quite work out what it was supposed to represent!

However, several of the dancers are excellent and the drummer was brilliant.

Overall I would say it is worth going to but don't expect a technically brilliant dance show - this isn't that.

Date of experience: November 2017
hodjapasha, Owner at Hodjapasha Cultural Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dancing with the chandelier: This is a very old tradition and it is believed that it came from a time when the pyramids were built and the workers had to shine their way to see.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

We were glad to experience the whirling dervishes. The enchanting music and the the rhythmic dance left us stunned and calm. Pictures and clapping are strictly prohibited as the performers will be disturbed. I could connect with this trance like yoga. Every culture has its own delights.
There is lots of info outside the performance area about the same.We had booked tickets online and travelled to this place by tram from Taksim square.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

I expected a more interactive, dynamic experience for 70 turkish lira. They gave a very short, vague explanation of sufism at the beginning and then had the band sing for most of the meditation.

The seating arrangements are honestly horrible. They say first come first served but I know people who got tickets last minute and sat right in front of the dervishes! The seats should be like those in a cinema not ones that you can put anywhere you want and cause a lot of noise disturbance.

The only positive thing about this place was the informational posters and sufi objects they had in the waiting area before the start of the show.

We also noticed that one of the dervishes was having trouble to focus on the meditation and was getting tired easily and kept opening his eyes to stay on track and not lose control. I think some of them don't really live sufism but simply work here.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this place if you have the opportunity to see it elsewhere for cheaper. I wouldn't pay more than 40 lira for the show.

Also horrible restrooms. Only one toilet for each person.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I'm a pretty open-minded, interested traveler and when I travel, I always stuff my schedule with all kinds of historical tours, food tours, and cultural events in the hopes of immersing myself in that place. There is really nothing good to say about this unless you might think it fun to look around and watch the unanimous looks of sheer discomfort from boredom on the faces of everyone else in this theater-in-the-round experience. The dervishes don't even appear until halfway through this 50 minute ordeal, but when they do, they simply do nothing but the same thing. Yes, I knew ahead of time that that's what this is about, I guess I just never would have imagined that there was not something with a little more surprise or interest. It is an utterly painful 50 minutes of sheer boredom...unless you can convince yourself you're having a spiritual experience (which even the dancers don't convincingly seem to be having),

5  Thank pgavriani