“Great value in the heart of Istanbul”

Serene Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #446 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Cork, Ireland
“Great value in the heart of Istanbul”
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

I used TripAdvisor to find a centrally located hotel in Istanbul. Thanks to the other TripAdvisor contributors, I found a little gem in the Supreme Hotel. Regular visitors to Istanbul had suggested an area called Taksim as a base. The Serene hotel is just 3 minutes easy walk from Taksim square.
On arrival I received a friendly greeting from Aren - he's the guy in the photo with me outside the hotel sign. The hotel itself is a little difficult to find as the entrance is on a pedestrian walkway off one of old Istanbul's pedestrian thoroughfares. Here's a tip - phone the hotel when you are close - Aren met my taxi. Or book the hotel courtesy pickup.
While room 201 was a little narrow, it was more than compensated for with the balcony view on the bustling street scene below. A great way to feel the atmosphere of this tourist mecca but the double glazed balcony door can be locked for a peaceful rest. I have included photos from it. Room 202 has the same views but has more room space. The rooms are newly refurbished and the housekeepers do an impeccable job. It includes all little extras - toiletries including toothpaste and brush, hair dryer, teas made, loads of TV channels in multiple languages, fluffy towels, spare pillows, a safe, lots of sockets for chargers.....
The hotel offers great value when compared with their surrounding competitors. Try to give yourself a full week to explore all that Istanbul has to offer. I did not mind paying a little extra to get the best evening that Istanbul has to offer on the Bosporus river. As recommended by Aren, TURNA Bosphorus dinner cruise lived up to expectations with a good tour guide (English speaking only), hotel pick- up and drop off, unlimited local alcohol and soft drinks, a good meal, traditional Turkish musical performance, belly dancers ( I preferred the female but the male belly dancers were a bit of fun! ). They were great at getting audience participation.

The Serene hotel is within 1 minutes walk of hundreds of shops ranging from designer labels to local souks. The place is teeming with restaurants, pubs and clubs. Remember that Istanbul is the creator of kebabs and their establishments are a must - completely different and 100 times better that the fake copies around the world. I have included some photos of a few near the Serene and $10 will get you a great meal.
My first time here but i will return - Istanbul definitely ranks among my favourite cities along with SF, Paris, Edinburgh and NY,NY. Rome is still on my bucket list. Enjoy !!!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jimwalshireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Serene Hotel in Feb 2013 with my best friend and we had a really good experience. Aren and Orhun were winderdul hosts and made sure that we had everything we needed in our rooms. They also knew what to recommend us in order to have the best experiences in Instanbul. They sure go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy your time in Instanbul. Hospitality is their forte!
The hotel is located on the Taksim Street which is so conveniently situated near the main touristic areas, itself being one of the most famous places to see while in Instanbul! Full of shops, restaurants, boutiques and so much more!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Yogabitza
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

When we were in Istanbul this May, we stayed at the Serene Hotel based on positive reviews here, and because it was right on the pedestrianized Istakkal Cadessi in the middle of the Galata neighborhood. While the street can get packed and noisy on the weekends at night, it was very convenient close enough to Taksim Square, and a lot of little alleys with unique shops and eateries. Our room had a lovely balcony that overlooked all the action below, perfect for people watching at night while eating fresh fish sandwiches from the Galata bridge area. The WiFi was strong and the room was consistently clean. All the staff were very helpful and nice as well.

1 Thank imnotthewalrus
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were staying there for 4 nights and we had a wonderful time there! hotel has everything you need for a weekend in Istanbul. large and comfortable room, lcd tv, air con. The location couldn't have been better, with many attractions as well as nice restaurants, bars within walking distance.
We will definately choose this hotel for our next visit to Istanbul.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul d
durban
Reviewed 16 May 2013

i have just returned from a holiday in turkey and I stayed at the serene hotel , I must tell you I was blown away with the service I received from them they went out of their way to assist me with info on tours , eating places , travel arrangements , transport back to the airport , location of the hotel is great it is near all the famous sites i.e. sultanahmet mosque , ayasofia , topkapi palace , gallata tower on top of being right in the middle of the hussle and bussle of istiklal avenue which is great for eating places and shopping for the enthusiast , I must single out special praise for the night staff guy ARAN , he always greeted you with a smile always helpful even when he could understand or help he would try his best to assist in what ever way he could , same goes for the guy in the morning ORHN , they really added a lot more of comfort to my trip to turkey the rooms were clean and nice , air conditioning , satellite , everything was just brilliant , I would like to finish of by saying the next time I am in turkey I will definitely stay at the serene hotel . (SHIRAZ KARODIA - SOUTH AFRICA)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank shiraz k
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here for a week in mid-April with my brother and three friends. Although the double economy room was a bit on the small side, I found Serene Hotel to be very clean, modern, and affordable given the location. The front desk staff were very helpful and accommodating as we needed to book a room at the last minute for a friend, and they also gave us good recommendations for hammams and helped us to make a reservation at a restaurant. The hotel is literally two steps from the huge pedestrian-only Istiklal avenue, and a twenty-minute saunter to the tram to the old city and the Galata Bridge. Although I was worried about the noise, it was not a problem - our room faced an alley. But bring earplugs just in case because on Saturday night there was loud music.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for young couples/young people/budget travelers who want to stay in a nice, no-frills boutique hotel rather than a hostel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elodie S
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Just back from a two week stay in Serene Hotel, Istanbul. Everything was fine with hotel and staff were most helpful especially the night time attendant who went out of his way to help us. Really nice man. Rooms comfortable and location centrally based. Hope to return again in the future. Noel O'C

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business