“Great location, exceptional service.”
Review of Urban Suites

Urban Suites
Ranked #53 of 1,090 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We recently stayed at Urban Suites for 5 nights. The amazing view over the Bosphorus to the Asian side of Istanbul from our room and terrace was only surpassed by the attention to detail and hospitality offered by the staff. The location was perfect for those not wanting to stay away from the tourist centre.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your kind comments.
It is really inspiring to hear such nice comments. I want you know that we really enjoyed hosting you here at Urban Suites and looking forward to host you again soon.
Best wishes from Istanbul.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

All the team were delightful and incredibly helpful. The location of the hotel is perfect to experience the real Istanbul away from the old area and the tourist centre. The view from the roof top is exquisite and it is surrounded by fabulous restaurants.

Room Tip: The two downstairs rooms are typical hotel rooms, the room 2 has windows onto the street so if you d...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bette M
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on this very important platform. I appreciate your nice and kind comments.
I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from roof top.
We are looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during early June. All positive reviews below are accurate, and we were surprised to see the experience had by the only negative reviewer below, given the exceptional treatment we received.

First - the location is great for people who want to be close to a very cafe culture area without tourist overload. It has wonderful streets and cafes to wander around / into, and is only a 10 min walk to the main pedestrian street (Istakal) and Taksim Square (although not so close as to feel in any danger from the current political situation there). We very much felt as if we were in the middle of typical Istanbul urban life, and it was an excellent atmosphere.
Second - the hotel. Very well designed. A secure elevator takes you to your room. The finishings are perfect and the rooms very well maintained by friendly cleaning staff throughout our stay. They do not replace free bottled water daily, so you might want to stock up from the little shop across the street in summer. The view from the room of the street-scape and Bosphorous in the distance is very peaceful. Facilities are all good (wireless, kitchen, shower etc etc).
Third - hospitality. We cannot stress enough how outstanding the service and attention we received from Tolga and his staff was. They were a perfect example of how a guest should be treated - total loyalty to ensuring we had everything we needed for our entire time in Istanbul, not just arrival and check-out, but constant (and unintrusive) willingness to help. They have a very well-oiled system (24 hours, 7 days a week) for manning the lobby of the suites (with cameras at the front door and lift lobby). We were invited to a welcome cocktail with wine and fresh fruit on arrival, where Tolga spent his time chatting to us about the protests and Istanbul generally, and helping us plan our stay. We mentioned in passing that it was my 30th birthday...next thing you know, Tolga and his staff on duty turn up to our room with a wonderful birthday cake. Tolga even walked us thru the streets nearby to a Turkish Hamam - this is the kind of loyalty to guests that is priceless and well worth taking the time to write about on Trip Advisor.

Overall, the place is a fantastic base for those who want to enjoy cafes and culture in Istanbul, without being in the middle of the tourist area. And the quality of the staff is second to none. Highly highly recommend, and a quick thank you to Tolga and his staff for making our stay very memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite 5 which was great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank milkynz
nurettin b, Manager at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your kind comments.
I want you know that such nice comments are very motivating for us. I am really glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.
We are looking forward to see you in Istanbul soon!
Tolga Akin

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I chose Urban Suites partly because of the rooftop terrace, which was wonderful indeed. Too bad the hotel's website and other listings fail to mention that the only way to reach it from the first floor rooms is by walking up several flights--there is no elevator access. Once I made the climb only to discover that the terrace, which is advertised as available 24/7, was locked. Big disappointment.

Before arriving, I emailed Urban Suites for directions and received instructions that started with "When you come Taksim you have to walk to German Hospital..." When I arrived at Taksim, I saw at least four streets leading off Taksim Square and no sign for German Hospital, so I took a taxi. The poor taxi driver had to phone the property four times before receiving adequate directions--though I learned later the property is only a few blocks from Taksim. Why all the trouble?

Because of a series of problems and misunderstandings during my stay, I wanted to see my final bill ahead of time rather than wait for my 4am departure--not a good time of day for handling money matters! Although I was assured it would be ready for me, I had to phone several times before finally receiving a bill--which was, as I had feared, incorrect. It took several tries to finally reach the price that had been agreed upon months earlier. I was not allowed to pay in advance, which was bewildering. When I finally did pay at 4am and asked for a receipt for my cash payment, I was refused.

Others have mentioned the small room size, which, to me, was a minor problem compared to the other headaches. (The only place to put belongings is in the standard-issue hotel style armoire.)

I emailed the above complaints to the owner before writing this review. He was eager to make amends and offered me two very generous choices. I accepted one of them--and never heard from him again. We had been in contact everyday and I had been impressed by his unparalleled commitment to customer service, but it has now been several weeks and I have not received a reply, despite several inquiries. In fact, I was worried that something might be wrong until I came to this site and saw that he has been responding to his happier clientele.

I fell in love with Istanbul and will be returning within a few months, but I will not be staying at Urban Suites. Even if the owner finally remembers me and belatedly offers to make good on his promise, I have no reason to trust him anymore.

I stayed at two other hotels while traveling in Istanbul and Cappadocia. Thanks to them, I know what Turkish hospitality is really like. And it's not what I got before, during or after my stay at Urban Suites.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor unless you're willing to climb several flights of stairs to en...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Jasmine_and_Pelicans
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The door to the roof top terrace is never locked. However when it rains we just close the door so water don’t come in to the building but one can open it easily by just pushing the open button. I think we failed to explain you when you checked in and I apologies for that again. I am pleased that you really liked and enjoyed the roof top terrace though.
I am so sorry that you had a hard time to find out our hotel. Istanbul is a big metropolis and usually taxi drivers are getting advantage of this with tourists. That is why we strongly recommend our guests to order airport pick-up service from our hotel. For the guests who chose to use public transportation we provide a detailed explanation of the directions. Apparently we failed to do so for you. The interaction with our staff member with regards to your comments about the finding our hotel is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.
As Urban suites Istanbul it is very important that all our guests leave our hotel happily. For that reason I already explained I would do my best to change your unpleasant memories with good ones. Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Istanbul again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies.
Best regards.
Nurettin Bilgis

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Just returned home after staying four nights at Urban suites during our short break in Istanbul.
This is a renovated building in a very peaceful street. Our room was located at the ground floor and it was small but kept VERY clean and the design was very beautiful. To be honest we expected to find ourselves in a bigger room but it seems that both rooms on the ground floor are small. After seeing the rooms on the upper floors we were a bit disappointed for not booking any of those. They are more pricey of course but worth the money. The royal suite on the last floor offers panoramic views of Bosporus! The personnel was SUPER friendly and always there for us. They did everything to feel at home and to please us and to enjoy our short break in Istanbul and we are very thankful for this. They offered us complimentary drinks plus a lift to the airport the last day of our holidays (1st of May) by themselves as the police blocked several roads around the area because of the Labour day. I cannot imagine what would have happened if they were not giving us a lift to the airport. We requested a taxi but even for taxis was difficult to approach because of the Laborers parade and police. Thanks to the owner who transfered us to the airport by himself and without accepting any payment!!
If you are looking for a beautifully designed place to stay in Istanbul with great personnel this is the place!
Definitely beautiful moments: early evening at the terrace of the hotel before going for dinner, enjoying our drinks with panoramic views of the Bosporus.

Thank you Urban Suites!

Room Tip: Go for any of the suites on the upper floors! They are biiig and beautiful!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear guest,

I am very glad we could make it to the airport on Labor Day.
I want you know that it has been a really pleasure for us to host you in our hotel and we are looking forward to host you again soon in our suites!
If you need anything from Istanbul please let me know.
Best wishes
Nurettin Bilgis

Reviewed 28 March 2013

This is a great little hotel with really friendly and helpful staff that couldn't do enough to help. The suites are comfortable, clean and neat! Although there is no restaurant in the hotel there is cooking facilities and also numerous bars and restaurants minutes away in this bohemian area (check out 5.Kat, 1 minute away which over looks the Bosphorus – excellent). You can walk to the old town but the trams are very easy to use but the last leg of the walk back to the hotel is very steep – great exercise. Very recommended and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite 5 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Dear guest,
I want you know that we really enjoyed hosting you here.
We are looking forward to see you again soon!
Best wishes from Istanbul!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We aim to get a sense for how a city lives, assuming tourists are rare, even if they are fact (like outselves). Cihangir is a wonderful neighborhood: real, creative, cosmopolitan, yet grounded. Urban Suites is a fancy accomodation with a super friendly owner and staff. The standard sights are easy and fun to reach (hiking through cool parts of town and the tram) and, most important to us, the parts of town which are leading the pack are on the doorstep: Cihangir, Cukurcuma, and with a few steps Galata and Nisantasi.
Beware of suite 2, which can cause claustophobism. Embrace all others, which are tastefully decorated. Make use of the rooftop terace, which is a breathtaker.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank freakyhamburgpeople
nurettin b, Manager at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

I want you know that it has been a real pleasure for me and for my team to host you in our hotel.
We are hoping to see you soon again.