“Best in Istanbul”
Review of Urban Suites

Urban Suites
Ranked #67 of 1,100 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at Urban Suites from 6/10/13 until 6/15/13 in the Royal Suite. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels but the service at Urban Suites was the best I have experienced. The room was amazing with breathtaking views and exceptional amenities. The owner met and talked with me each day, everyime I stood on the porch outside one of the staff bought me coffee. If you have any problems they are taken care of immediately. In my opinion if your stay was anything but exceptional it was because you didn't mention the problem because if you do it will be resolved beyound your satifaction.

Room Tip: Royal Suite well worth the additional cost
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank steve g
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your kind comments.
It was really honor for me and my team to host you at our hotel. We all enjoyed very much to chat with you.
We are looking forward to see you soon.
Best wishes from Istanbul!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

First of all, apart being a really beautiful place to stay it is also in a great location. just at the heart of the Istanbul: Cihangir. where it is very close to all main visitor attractions and also very accessible to any kind of transportation wherever you need to go. Great cafes and restaurants for any type food, drink , etc. (but not too many. just perfect)
The building is beautiful and the interior is very stylishly designed and decorated.
The View: it is just amazing. I believe that you are not in Istanbul or live in Istanbul if you don't see the Bosphorus. the view gives you completely positively good energy and vibe. this place has one of the best Istanbul panoramic view from the rooms or the open air terrace. Unforgettable.!
This place is like your own flat when you walk in and you feel like you live there rather than just an accommodation in Istanbul.
we stayed 1 week. enjoyed every moment of our stay at this place. The staff were just great and they would be there any time when we need anything to ask or to be done. Thnks guys.! see you next time.
Very clean as it is a new place. great interior design. objects and colors thru-out all building and interior.
Overall, it is a perfect place to stay and enjoy Istanbul.!

Room Tip: any room. ! They all are good. we had to see the rooms just for curiosity.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Manager at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experiences during your stay at Urban Suites. I appreciate your kind comments.
I want you know that it has been a real pleasure for me and for my team to host you in our hotel.
We are hoping to see you soon again.
Best wishes from Istanbul.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We spent one week at the Urban Suite and LOVE IT. Most important it was very clean. The view from terrace was breathtaking through Europe and Asia. The location is perfect if you prefer the old part of the city. The tram stop and bus stop is only a few steps away, It is in the middle of Istanbul, nightlife is close to at Taksim Square which can be considered as the heart of the İstanbul.I would recommend this for anyone to stay. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences on this very important platform. I appreciate your kind comments.
We are hoping to see you soon again.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We recently stayed at Urban Suites for 5 nights. The amazing view over the Bosphorus to the Asian side of Istanbul from our room and terrace was only surpassed by the attention to detail and hospitality offered by the staff. The location was perfect for those not wanting to stay away from the tourist centre.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your kind comments.
It is really inspiring to hear such nice comments. I want you know that we really enjoyed hosting you here at Urban Suites and looking forward to host you again soon.
Best wishes from Istanbul.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

All the team were delightful and incredibly helpful. The location of the hotel is perfect to experience the real Istanbul away from the old area and the tourist centre. The view from the roof top is exquisite and it is surrounded by fabulous restaurants.

Room Tip: The two downstairs rooms are typical hotel rooms, the room 2 has windows onto the street so if you d...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bette M
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on this very important platform. I appreciate your nice and kind comments.
I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from roof top.
We are looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during early June. All positive reviews below are accurate, and we were surprised to see the experience had by the only negative reviewer below, given the exceptional treatment we received.

First - the location is great for people who want to be close to a very cafe culture area without tourist overload. It has wonderful streets and cafes to wander around / into, and is only a 10 min walk to the main pedestrian street (Istakal) and Taksim Square (although not so close as to feel in any danger from the current political situation there). We very much felt as if we were in the middle of typical Istanbul urban life, and it was an excellent atmosphere.
Second - the hotel. Very well designed. A secure elevator takes you to your room. The finishings are perfect and the rooms very well maintained by friendly cleaning staff throughout our stay. They do not replace free bottled water daily, so you might want to stock up from the little shop across the street in summer. The view from the room of the street-scape and Bosphorous in the distance is very peaceful. Facilities are all good (wireless, kitchen, shower etc etc).
Third - hospitality. We cannot stress enough how outstanding the service and attention we received from Tolga and his staff was. They were a perfect example of how a guest should be treated - total loyalty to ensuring we had everything we needed for our entire time in Istanbul, not just arrival and check-out, but constant (and unintrusive) willingness to help. They have a very well-oiled system (24 hours, 7 days a week) for manning the lobby of the suites (with cameras at the front door and lift lobby). We were invited to a welcome cocktail with wine and fresh fruit on arrival, where Tolga spent his time chatting to us about the protests and Istanbul generally, and helping us plan our stay. We mentioned in passing that it was my 30th birthday...next thing you know, Tolga and his staff on duty turn up to our room with a wonderful birthday cake. Tolga even walked us thru the streets nearby to a Turkish Hamam - this is the kind of loyalty to guests that is priceless and well worth taking the time to write about on Trip Advisor.

Overall, the place is a fantastic base for those who want to enjoy cafes and culture in Istanbul, without being in the middle of the tourist area. And the quality of the staff is second to none. Highly highly recommend, and a quick thank you to Tolga and his staff for making our stay very memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite 5 which was great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank milkynz
nurettin b, Manager at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear guest,
I want you know that such nice comments are very motivating for us. I am really glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.
We are looking forward to see you in Istanbul soon!
Tolga Akin

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I chose Urban Suites partly because of the rooftop terrace, which was wonderful indeed. Too bad the hotel's website and other listings fail to mention that the only way to reach it from the first floor rooms is by walking up several flights--there is no elevator access. Once I made the climb only to discover that the terrace, which is advertised as available 24/7, was locked. Big disappointment.

Before arriving, I emailed Urban Suites for directions and received instructions that started with "When you come Taksim you have to walk to German Hospital..." When I arrived at Taksim, I saw at least four streets leading off Taksim Square and no sign for German Hospital, so I took a taxi. The poor taxi driver had to phone the property four times before receiving adequate directions--though I learned later the property is only a few blocks from Taksim. Why all the trouble?

Because of a series of problems and misunderstandings during my stay, I wanted to see my final bill ahead of time rather than wait for my 4am departure--not a good time of day for handling money matters! Although I was assured it would be ready for me, I had to phone several times before finally receiving a bill--which was, as I had feared, incorrect. It took several tries to finally reach the price that had been agreed upon months earlier. I was not allowed to pay in advance, which was bewildering. When I finally did pay at 4am and asked for a receipt for my cash payment, I was refused.

Others have mentioned the small room size, which, to me, was a minor problem compared to the other headaches. (The only place to put belongings is in the standard-issue hotel style armoire.)

I emailed the above complaints to the owner before writing this review. He was eager to make amends and offered me two very generous choices. I accepted one of them--and never heard from him again. We had been in contact everyday and I had been impressed by his unparalleled commitment to customer service, but it has now been several weeks and I have not received a reply, despite several inquiries. In fact, I was worried that something might be wrong until I came to this site and saw that he has been responding to his happier clientele.

I fell in love with Istanbul and will be returning within a few months, but I will not be staying at Urban Suites. Even if the owner finally remembers me and belatedly offers to make good on his promise, I have no reason to trust him anymore.

I stayed at two other hotels while traveling in Istanbul and Cappadocia. Thanks to them, I know what Turkish hospitality is really like. And it's not what I got before, during or after my stay at Urban Suites.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor unless you're willing to climb several flights of stairs to en...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Jasmine_and_Pelicans
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The door to the roof top terrace is never locked. However when it rains we just close the door so water don’t come in to the building but one can open it easily by just pushing the open button. I think we failed to explain you when you checked in and I apologies for that again. I am pleased that you really liked and enjoyed the roof top terrace though.
I am so sorry that you had a hard time to find out our hotel. Istanbul is a big metropolis and usually taxi drivers are getting advantage of this with tourists. That is why we strongly recommend our guests to order airport pick-up service from our hotel. For the guests who chose to use public transportation we provide a detailed explanation of the directions. Apparently we failed to do so for you. The interaction with our staff member with regards to your comments about the finding our hotel is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.
As Urban suites Istanbul it is very important that all our guests leave our hotel happily. For that reason I already explained I would do my best to change your unpleasant memories with good ones. Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Istanbul again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies.
Best regards.