“Memorable marbling!”

Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an Art Gallery and organise Traditional Turkish, Ottoman marbling - Ebru workshops in our Art Gallery in Sultanahmet. Lessons are 2 hours with our local professional teachers from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University in Istanbul.Turkish Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to marble or other stone, hence the name. You can also draw flower figures which is traditional in Ottoman Art. The things you can capable of painting with Ebru is unlimited. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to a sheet of paper (or other surfaces such as fabric). This decorative material has been used to cover a variety of surfaces for several centuries. It is often employed as a writing surface for calligraphy, and especially book covers and endpapers in bookbinding and stationery. Part of its appeal is that each print is a unique monoprint.Need a break from the hustle and bustle of tourist life in Istanbul? Come take an art class with us.
Damascus
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Memorable marbling!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

8 of us - 3 Mums and 5 kids ranging from five to twelve, both male and female - booked a marbling course with Les Arts Turcs in October 2013. It was such fun! We learned a new skill, came away with some masterpieces (really!) and it was a nice change for the kids to do something active rather than passively look around Istanbul's museums, and palaces and mosques (which they loved but were getting a bit tired of...)
The teachers, Betul and Ali, were so kind and patient, and did not hurry us, or restrict our use of materials. They were so generous, and showed us many different examples that we could copy. We came home with wonderful souvenirs and not a few Christmas presents for grandparents! Really professionally organised, and yet still very personal. Highly recommend.

Visited October 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An exceptional artistic experience”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Having recently moved from corporate-type work to that of a more artistic nature, I decided to top off my recent trip to Istanbul by spending a few hours learning the art of Ebru, or Turkish marbling. During a previous visit to Istanbul, I had seen Ebru paintings (including two of them hanging in my hotel room) but was unsure as to what it was or how it was made. A little bit of internet research in advance of my visit led me to Les Arts Turcs and a 1:1 lesson with Ms. Betul Senguler.

All of my email correspondence in setting up the session was with Mr. Alp Aksahin. I found him to be friendly, accommodating, and very timely in his responses. In fact, when the course had to change from Friday morning because of a last-minute conflict, I was offered a session on Saturday morning. My tutor for the workshop, Betul Senguler, arrived with her little ones in arms, one of which was still asleep! :) It was very kind of her to rearrange her schedule (and that of her children) to be able to meet with me!

Betul was great to work with. She explained all the materials and tools and we set off. Initially starting with simpler techniques, she demonstrated and then I practiced. Over the next few hours, we tackled various patterns and techniques, using the various tools and colours. Later in our session, I was shown a book of various Ebru prints and had a chance to choose what particular techniques I wanted to learn. It was a great experience! I left with great memories, all of the Ebru paintings we'd done, and a desire to continue on with this art.

I will certainly look forward to another session at Les Arts Turcs on a future visit to Istanbul, either to continue on with Ebru or perhaps a lesson in calligraphy or miniature painting!

Visited September 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun & Spiritual”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Its the most valuable workshop Ive ever attened after travelling many countries.

Mr. Ali is very professional and the whole team makes the ambience warm and enjoyable.I learn the technique of Ebru and at the same time I am inspired by it. Thanks to Mr. Ali!

Making Ebru with the view of Bosphorus is amazing!
Strongly recommend a must-do if you come to Istanbul!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Claritakuo
Norfolk, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience with a talented artist”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

During our recent trip to Istanbul, I took an ebru marbling painting class at Les Arts Turcs. I had no prior painting experience, although I am artistic in other ways. Betul was an excellent teacher. Her demonstrations and explanations were clear and easy-to-follow. I had plenty of time to experiment and make several paintings that are great keepsakes. Betul and I even made some pieces together. After a 3-hour session, I had enough confidence and information to experiment on my own after returning home. I can't wait to purchase the supplies and get started. This was a wonderful way to experience Turkish culture. I also met Betul's husband Ali, and we had a great conversation. Both are lively and extremely friendly. We shared pictures of children and talked about our families. I am grateful for my new friends, and can't wait to return to Istanbul and take more classes. I highly recommend Les Arts Turcs.

Visited June 2013
Leysin, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tile Painting Class”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We spent a wonderful morning at Les Arts Turcs with a group of high school students aged 17 - 18. Our whole group got a lot out of the experience even those of our group who would not have described themselves as artistic. The studio is a in a great central location with amazing views from the rooftop. The instruction is relaxed but attentive. After the tiles are glazed the final product is very pleasing. Trying to paint a tile helps you to achieve a new appreciation of the phenomenal achievements of the artists who worked on the Blue Mosque and other Turkish masterpieces.

Visited May 2013