“Create a memory and your own souvenirs from Istanbul”

Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an Art Gallery and organise Traditional Turkish, Ottoman marbling - Ebru workshops in our Art Gallery in Sultanahmet. Lessons are 2 hours with our local professional teachers from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University in Istanbul.Turkish Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to marble or other stone, hence the name. You can also draw flower figures which is traditional in Ottoman Art. The things you can capable of painting with Ebru is unlimited. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to a sheet of paper (or other surfaces such as fabric). This decorative material has been used to cover a variety of surfaces for several centuries. It is often employed as a writing surface for calligraphy, and especially book covers and endpapers in bookbinding and stationery. Part of its appeal is that each print is a unique monoprint.Need a break from the hustle and bustle of tourist life in Istanbul? Come take an art class with us.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After going to the Topkapi Palace and seeing the fine examples of Turkish marbled paper adorned with a tulip design, you can walk down the hill by the palace walls to Sengular Travel and take a class in Ebru (Turkish Marbling). My husband and I discovered Les Arts Turcs on a trip to Istanbul last October and we spent an afternoon in private instruction with our amazing teacher Betul. We were so pleased with the results that we scheduled yet another class on a return trip in May. Betul is so talented and most important she is patient; you will be amazed to discover your hidden talents as she demonsrates each technique and then guides you as you do it yourself. Betul and her husband Ali are so hospitable and friendly and they create a perfect atmosphere to learn this new skill. We are not artists, but by the end of class we had created several frame-worthy Ebru prints that will always remind us of our time in Istanbul. I highly recommend this experience!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

If you are trying to figure out how to make your trip to Istanbul more meaningful and more interesting (in a city that is already fascinating) this is the place. The Ebru marbling class was professional and top notch. I felt like I learned something about the art, the artist, and the people of Turkey on a larger scale.

The hospitality of Betul, Ali and Hakan was incredible and it quickly felt like I was with old friends instead of travel guides and teachers. I wouldn’t hesitate to book any of the other classes and programs with Les Art Turc.

Thanks for a great experience!

1  Thank Traveling_Bookbinder
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I had a paper marbling class in Les Arts Turcs and had the most amazing time. Betul and Ali who conducted the workshop were lively, kind, accommodating, warm and very talented. I was supposed to do a two- hour lesson but ended up getting three hours with lots of paper designs and a lovely lunch. Hakan, from Les Arts Turcs also sold me a ticket to Hagia Sophia, which meant I do not have to line up to get a ticket that rainy afternoon - with a free coffee fortune telling to boot! This is my best experience in Istanbul, and I will definitely go back for more classes!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We enjoyed the Ebru lesson for my 8-yr-old daughter A LOT!
During the 3.5hr session, can be longer if we'd like, my daughter drew more than 10 paintings and got familiar with most basic Ebru techniques.
She wished to come back to do the Ebru painting again for the remaining days in Istanbul!
It is such a magic to make the painting on the waterbase gel, and have the patterns transferred on the paper after the drawing. That magic moment of the pattern transfer is really worthwhile itself!
We had so much fun with learning this wonderful Turkish arts.
Undoubtly we highly recommended this class, and it is our best experience in Istanbul!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have met via the internet an appointment to a two-hour lesson in Ottoman Ebru workshop. The contacts with Alp were reliable and friendly. The teaching itself was very educational and relaxing. Betul showed me clearly and simply, how to get to his own works. This all took place in a good atmosphere with the other guests. Thank you!
Thank you also for the Contemporary Art Tour with Sibel. She showed me a myriad of galleries in Beyoğlu. It was a very stimulating afternoon.