“Good, but could be better”
Review of ottopera Hotel

ottopera Hotel
Ranked #7 of 1,051 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Byron Bay, Australia
“Good, but could be better”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

To start with the rooms are very nice, the bed was really comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is also very well located for the busses coming and going to both airports, which is very convenient. The hotel is also within walking distance to shopping and eating districts. The breakfast was also pleasant and enjoyable, though we had better breakfasts elsewhere in Turkey. Our main issue with this hotel is that there are no fans in the bathrooms and the drains were quite smelly. We changed from our first room for this reason, but the second room was the same. I think it is a lovely hotel but it would be greatly improved if they could do something about the problem with the smelly drains.

1 Thank lisa_om1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed just one night at Ottopera before returning home. The place is very new and rooms are big. There is one desk and chair in the room but no light on the desk! Bed is not very long (190cm?) but is quite large and confortable. Internet works well in the room. We had to turn off the fridge as it was noisy (and empty). The breakfast was not as good as the rest. While they offered an omolete, there was not much other choice - no orange juice, no turkish youghurt, no variety of bread, no honey. Things we had seen everywhere else we stayed in Turkey. The price (80€) was quite good for the quality. The location in Taksim is ok, but if you plan to do more touristy things, the old town is better to stay.

Room Tip: Better to stay on first or second floor rooms (no lift, though).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NextStopWhere
Malta
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have just returned from a week in Istanbul...we were recommended this hotel by some friends that stayed there and i must say i was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality and cleanliness of the place. the rooms are quite spacious and nicely decorated. the staff were always helpful and at times went out of their way to accommodate our requests. The location is just perfect as its just off Taksim square. the only two hitches was the fact that the TV had only one English speaking channel and the breakfast was sparse and always the same things were offered... we actually asked for toasted bread but they didn't have a toaster! Having said that, i would definitely reccommand this place to my friends if they were to go to Istanbul

1 Thank malteseglobetotter
Kalkan, Turkey
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I didnt actually stay here but after arriving early in the morning after 14 hours on a bus in pouring rain our hotel that was meant to be open 24 hours. It unfournately wasnt and after an hour of standing in the cold all wet we tried to find a place to use the internet. The hotel staff were so lovely, they phoned our hotel for us, let us use the internet and gave us a tea to warm up. We sat in their lobby for quite a while until our hotel opened. They had a great selection of food for breakfast and decour was beautiful. If they hadnt been fully booked we would have stayed there. Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to the lovely staff!

• Stayed October 2013
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 22 October 2013

What I did not like:
-toilet had a smell even when they changed our room. i guess its the humidity but its no biggie just keep the windows open when u are out
-breakfast should have more variety, it was not buffet but it was enough for me
What I loved:
-extremely friendly staff, you feel at home
-location is 3 minutes away from taksim square
-Big rooms with a balcony (on the 3rd floor)

Room Tip: 3rd floor has a balcony so room looks even bigger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I spent 3 nights with 5 friends on this little hotel at the end of August and we could not have made a better choice. With regards to the rooms, they had been recently refurbished and they looked gorgeous. They were very clean, with a lovely presentation of the towels and, one detail that captured our attention is the slippers, they would give us a new set of slippers every single day!

The staff was great and definitely went the extra mile to keep us happy and make us feel like at home. On one occasion we asked the owner for directions on how to get to a restaurant and he took us there instead! I definitely recomend them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Everything about this hotel, its management and staff is exceptional. The rooms are big and luxurious, the furniture is trendy and comfortable, the bathrooms are modern and extremely clean, the hotel is very secure with someone manning the front desk 24/7, my door was fitted with a digital safety lock and I also had a safe in my room. Also, Wifi internet is available 24/7. I found no fault whatsoever with this hotel.
Each morning I was provided with complementary bottles of water and fresh bottles of bathroom products.
When I booked my room online I reserved a basement room, however upon arrival I was upgraded to a 1st floor room with my own little garden with patio furniture! It was a pure delight.
The hotel was so perfect I spent more time indoors than I intended.
I cannot emphasise how polite, professional and genuinely nice the hotel owners/manager are.
I would definitely LOVE to stay the Ottopera if I visit Istanbul in the future. The walk from the hotel to Taksim takes only 3 minutes, and the walk to Havatash - the airport shuttle is no more than 5 minutes.
If you are lucky enough to find a room in this hotel book it immediately!
P.S. I am a busy traveller and have experienced all kinds of hotels - from 5 star to 3 star - this is the first time I've ever written a hotel review however,as this gem of a hotel really deserves it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends