“Great location and value, very friendly staff!”
Review of The Haze Karakoy

The Haze Karakoy
Ranked #416 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed with my family for 4 nights in this lovely hotel after finding it on booking.com, location of the hotel is excellent, very clean throughout and staff was very friendly, yes there were a lot of noise during night due to council's roadworks but it was temporary and had nothing to do with the hotel so I can't really blame them, we would stay again and definitely would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
EfeGM, Genel Müdür at The Haze Karakoy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your review which gives us a great opportunity to improve us.

There are newer reviews for The Haze Karakoy

Reviewed 3 June 2014

we have spent one night in this hotel. The first "supposedly specious room" that the receptionist offered us was a little better than a cave with very small windows. When complained, they changed the room to a more airy one. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small but efficiently designed. It is a little noisy since the hotel is on the main street in Karakoy. Our main disappointment was about the breakfast. It was not even a standard breakfast. Not many choices, eggs were over cooked, bread was not fresh (just sliced factory bread, no Turkish bread)..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice and the first time round obviously found it nice enough to stay again. My second experience however, was a puzzling one that left me unlikely to stay again.

Pros:
1. Great location, between the Old City and Taksim, walking distance to many of the main tourist sights and also close to public transport.
2. I stayed for 6 nights in a deluxe room and for the price paid the room was faultless and far more comfortable than I could have hoped.

Cons:
1. The first time I stayed there, there was major construction going on on the street right next to the hotel which for some reason started around 1030pm and lasted all the way until past 3am. This was not minor background noise and the experience was more akin to trying to sleep in a room where someone is playing a first person shooter game with a state of the art surround sound entertainment system. This happened on 2 nights out of the 6 that I stayed, but ended a little before midnight on one day. I figured that it was not the hotel's fault that there was construction and so stayed a second time about a week later.
2. The second room I stayed in was a standard room and this really drove home for me the lack of sound proofing in the hotel. This time there was no construction but the traffic noise was incredible. I fall asleep easily to city noise because I'm used to it but can imagine that this will be a major problem for many people.
3. The hotel has some weird design flaws. The second room I stayed in had a hairdryer attached to the wall but the plug was hanging to the side with no socket to plug it into thus rendering it unusable. Not sure how this came to be, but it is the first time I've seen such a blatant design mistake.
4. It also had a major problem with the card slot for the room key which resulted in the power turning on and off every 2-3mins. This would not seem to matter at night except that the a/c has to be manually turned on every time it turns off.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely hotel located centrally near the bats / clubs in Taxim and the old historic part of the city. Rooms are to a very high spec, and the service is also great- reception made and recommended reservations faultlessly in addition trying to help when my phone was stolen. Only improvement needed is perhaps the restaurant - however there are many alternative places within walking distance. Would stay again...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Do not stay here if you like sleeping. It is 1AM on a Sunday night, and there has been constant jack-hammering for the past 2-3 hours. It's not mildly annoying construction noise--it's bone jarring jackhammering literally 50 feet in front of the hotel, and the windows don't block sound that well. The building/road next to the Haze is under some major reconstruction and this is not a fluke occurrence and will continue for some time. It is either incessant construction noises, or people honking constantly in the traffic jam in front of the hotel. Other than that the room itself is pretty nice, but this is not useful if you can't sleep.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick G
EfeGM, Genel Müdür at The Haze Karakoy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Nick,

First of all thank you very much about your review on tripadvisor. Good or bad; it is so important for us to get feeback from you.

You are right; there are environmental studies around The Haze Hotel and also overall in Karaköy Area.. But please kindly note that, all that studies are not about us and we have not got a chance to change the time or schedule. Municipality works hard for improve Karaköy's looks and if they do not work during night, the voice which is you complained, will take longer than expected.

It was the bad surprised and we are so sorry about that situaiton yet unfortunately we could not do anything for that.

We do not have any construction into the hotel and of course we care about guest's comfort yet we exactly know our response area.

We hope, on 28th of May 2013, all the works had been done and we will have a new, pretty street for our guests.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at The Haze Karakoy for four days and had an excellent room. It was clean, spacious and the service at reception was excellent. The location is convenient and within walking distance to wonderful areas and attractions. Karakoy area is great for dining with very good bars and lokantas nearby. I will stay here again and greatly appreciated the wonderful and warm staff.

Room Tip: I was on fourth floor in Superior room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Haze Karakoy for seven nights and had a lovely time. Our room was small (a given in most European cities where space is at a premium) but very efficiently designed. The space feels modern, with clean lines, touches of red, and ambient lighting. It has a design point of view, as any good boutique should. The beds are very comfortable, there is a climate control panel (which is a must for me since I like to sleep in frigid conditions), and the bathroom is luxurious. One note on the bathroom, for those who value privacy, the frosted glass panel divider and door between the bedroom and bathroom might not be enough. But the shower, with its rain head, had the best water pressure I've ever felt and I took two showers a day to take advantage! The hotel's manager, Nizvet (sp?) is delightful and so warm and helpful. He helped us make arrangements for everything from a whirling dervish show to taxies, and always had a smile on his face. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is served at the hotel's restaurant Fornarina. It's a standard buffet with eggs, breakfast meat, and Turkish breakfast items including cheeses, olives, yoghurt, and honey. Nothing special but it does the job. As for the location, we found it to be the perfect compromise between the touristy and sometimes abrasive Sultanahmet area and the more cosmopolitan but sometimes sterile Taksim area. It is equidistant to both, and a stone's throw from the Galata Bridge. The vibe is more local, and from everything I've read, Karakoy is an area on the rise. There are two excellent restaurants less than a block away (Karakoy Lokantasi and Lokanta Maya) and plenty of Turkish Delight and Baklava at Koska and Karakoy Gulluoglu. I had two small issues. One was that there was some construction noise one night because there were fixing the sidewalk adjacent to the entrance, which meant about three hours of drilling past midnight. I can't really attribute that to the hotel but it was annoying. The second is that while there is free wifi, the system of getting a code is a little annoying, and it didn't work on our floor the day before we were leaving. These are really small issues that don't detract from our overall enjoyment and impressions. I'm really happy we picked this place, it's modern, comfortable, convenient, and made us feel like we discovered a little gem.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple