“Excellent boutique hotel in great location”
Review of The Haze Karakoy

The Haze Karakoy
Ranked #387 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at Haze with our 2 children and had 2 connecting rooms overlooking the bosphorus. Very modern cool designed rooms, just as pictured on the website. Location is excellent, near the old city as well as taksim. The helpful staff had to put up with our occasionally active kids and never complained :), they were very helpful indeed. We also enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant. Overall, a very pleasant stay and looking forward to going back again.

Room Tip: For families, ask for interconnecting rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
EfeGM, Genel Müdür at The Haze Karakoy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your review which gives us a great opportunity to improve us.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel was overbooked as the room we had booked was not available on arrival and we were downgraded. One of the reasons we booked the hotel was for a king sized bed as we're both tall individuals. We were promised the correct room the next night, but I wasn't happy with this, nor was I was happy with approach taken by the desk clerk.

I rang up the booking intermediary and advised them of the situation and they would look into it. On heading out for dinner, this same young guy at the front desk confronted me and accused me of not believing him that I would sort out our room for the next night and was confrontational about calling the booking intermediary.

The next morning I checked with staff and was advised that I would have the right room later in the day. When we returned that afternoon, there wasn't the correct room for the next night. I complained again it was only when I got on the phone again to the booking intermediary that I was advised we would be upgraded to the "penthouse" the next night. Some compensation, as well as being given the monetary difference in room costs which was what should have happened at a minimum.

It was the penthouse in name only. Not exactly what I would call penthouse material. Website photography is certainly misleading, and for a hotel that goes for the boutique touch, it was lacking the soft furnishings and nice touches in the rooms. Also, curtains in the penthouse suite were not adequate to block the morning sun.

There was an iron available, but no ironing board!

Breakfast was quite poor and after eating there the first morning we decided to go elsewhere during our stay. The restaurant was run separately to the hotel, so I couldn't put a bottle of wine on our room. I had to follow them downstairs with a credit card!

To their credit, the manager did go a very small way to redeeming things, but it was token, and actually, it was pretty poor all things considered. Next time, try buying your guests a bottle of wine as opposed to knocking 20% off it! It's more often how you redeem yourself after poor actions that are remembered as opposed to the issues that occur.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank royal618
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed with my family for 4 nights in this lovely hotel after finding it on booking.com, location of the hotel is excellent, very clean throughout and staff was very friendly, yes there were a lot of noise during night due to council's roadworks but it was temporary and had nothing to do with the hotel so I can't really blame them, we would stay again and definitely would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 June 2014

we have spent one night in this hotel. The first "supposedly specious room" that the receptionist offered us was a little better than a cave with very small windows. When complained, they changed the room to a more airy one. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small but efficiently designed. It is a little noisy since the hotel is on the main street in Karakoy. Our main disappointment was about the breakfast. It was not even a standard breakfast. Not many choices, eggs were over cooked, bread was not fresh (just sliced factory bread, no Turkish bread)..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice and the first time round obviously found it nice enough to stay again. My second experience however, was a puzzling one that left me unlikely to stay again.

Pros:
1. Great location, between the Old City and Taksim, walking distance to many of the main tourist sights and also close to public transport.
2. I stayed for 6 nights in a deluxe room and for the price paid the room was faultless and far more comfortable than I could have hoped.

Cons:
1. The first time I stayed there, there was major construction going on on the street right next to the hotel which for some reason started around 1030pm and lasted all the way until past 3am. This was not minor background noise and the experience was more akin to trying to sleep in a room where someone is playing a first person shooter game with a state of the art surround sound entertainment system. This happened on 2 nights out of the 6 that I stayed, but ended a little before midnight on one day. I figured that it was not the hotel's fault that there was construction and so stayed a second time about a week later.
2. The second room I stayed in was a standard room and this really drove home for me the lack of sound proofing in the hotel. This time there was no construction but the traffic noise was incredible. I fall asleep easily to city noise because I'm used to it but can imagine that this will be a major problem for many people.
3. The hotel has some weird design flaws. The second room I stayed in had a hairdryer attached to the wall but the plug was hanging to the side with no socket to plug it into thus rendering it unusable. Not sure how this came to be, but it is the first time I've seen such a blatant design mistake.
4. It also had a major problem with the card slot for the room key which resulted in the power turning on and off every 2-3mins. This would not seem to matter at night except that the a/c has to be manually turned on every time it turns off.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely hotel located centrally near the bats / clubs in Taxim and the old historic part of the city. Rooms are to a very high spec, and the service is also great- reception made and recommended reservations faultlessly in addition trying to help when my phone was stolen. Only improvement needed is perhaps the restaurant - however there are many alternative places within walking distance. Would stay again...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Do not stay here if you like sleeping. It is 1AM on a Sunday night, and there has been constant jack-hammering for the past 2-3 hours. It's not mildly annoying construction noise--it's bone jarring jackhammering literally 50 feet in front of the hotel, and the windows don't block sound that well. The building/road next to the Haze is under some major reconstruction and this is not a fluke occurrence and will continue for some time. It is either incessant construction noises, or people honking constantly in the traffic jam in front of the hotel. Other than that the room itself is pretty nice, but this is not useful if you can't sleep.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick G
EfeGM, Genel Müdür at The Haze Karakoy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Nick,

First of all thank you very much about your review on tripadvisor. Good or bad; it is so important for us to get feeback from you.

You are right; there are environmental studies around The Haze Hotel and also overall in Karaköy Area.. But please kindly note that, all that studies are not about us and we have not got a chance to change the time or schedule. Municipality works hard for improve Karaköy's looks and if they do not work during night, the voice which is you complained, will take longer than expected.

It was the bad surprised and we are so sorry about that situaiton yet unfortunately we could not do anything for that.

We do not have any construction into the hotel and of course we care about guest's comfort yet we exactly know our response area.

We hope, on 28th of May 2013, all the works had been done and we will have a new, pretty street for our guests.