“Troy Rug - quality guarantee”
Review of Troy Rug

Troy Rug
Ranked #63 of 549 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Troy Rug Store is a long established seller of high quality modern and antique carpets, rugs, kilims and other nomadic art situated in the delightful Arasta Bazaar in historic Istanbul. We stock pieces from all over Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan. We pride ourselves on a professional and hassle-free selling experience ensuring the customer is delighted with his or her purchase. There is never any obligation to buy and we welcome customers who want to browse.Fluent English, Turkish and German spoken.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I am one of the many returning customers at Troy Rug Store in Arasta Bazaar. There I get what I pay for without huzzling and cheating, value for money and friendly relations. No pushing for buying. Pay a visit to Mustafa Cesur, have a chat over a cup of tea and get inspired.

2  Thank Vezir

Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is sometimes hard to put into words, how good an experience can be, but I’ll give it a go :)

My friend Ellen, who has been living in Istanbul for 6 months, went on a rug hunt with her mother, when she came to visit. In this jungle of sellers, all so very eager - shouting after you, force-feeding you business cards, and trying oh so hard to convince you that their shop or item is the best, it can be quite overwhelming, and sometimes even to tiring that you either give up or in a craze buy something you might regret. You often find yourself walking away with the feeling of being scammed or tricked, taken for granted and then pushed away, so they can snatch up the next heat stricken foreigner.

But in this jungle of shouting men and women, you can be lucky to find a gem - A humble, warm and smiling man, Mustafa is his name and this is who they found.

Mustafa sells beautiful Turkish rugs, runners, pillowcases etc. Troy Rug Store is truly the one and only place, to shop after the above if in Istanbul. He took such good care of Ellens mother the first time they came, compared to any other of the shops they had visited, so when she wanted another rug, there was only one place to go and this was to Mustafa.

Ellens mum had gone home by now, so Ellen visited Mustafa and took photos of all the possible candidates. When the winners where picked, Ellen along with me and two other friends went to visit Mustafa once again. This was the first time we got to meet Mustafa, but definitely not the last. Mustafa and his helper invited us in, served tea and treated us so very lovely and calm. We picked out the carpet and even ended up receiving a little gift each to take home. But I cannot emphasize how lovely our experience was, so helpful, calm and not at all pushy. A completely different level of respect and kindness from a seller in Istanbul.

All we can say is, that if you’re ever on the hunt for a rug, please go to Troy rug store. We promise you an unforgettable shopping experience in Istanbul with the nicest and most helpful man in town.

We for sure will be back next time we visit and will reccomend him and only him to out friends and family.

5  Thank Emmahilldk
Reviewed 21 June 2014

After visiting a rug store in Grand Basar and a different rug store in Arasta Basar, randomly, me and my wife entered “Troy Rug Store”. We were tired, after one day of walking and with no patience for another standard rug seller. Mr. Mustafa was surprisingly not aggressive, from the sales point of view. He had the patience to show tens of rugs, told us about the differences between a Chinese and a genuine Hereke, and explained that the number of knots by square centimeter, obviously, define the price per square meter of rug. He accepted peacefully that we wall out of his store, with the promise to come back two days after to see more rugs with the colors that we were looking for. Two days afterwards we came back and different rugs with the specified colors were there. After minor price adjustment we closed business. We were so confident that thewe did an honest deal that, immediately after, we bought an additional Hereke as a gift for my mother in law. Only back to Lisbon I use a ruler to measure the number of knots on each centimeter of our Hereke rugs. They were all there! It is clear to me that we will be back to Mr. Mustafa Troy Rug Store in our next visit to Istanbul.

5  Thank MarcelinoSantos
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My boyfriend and I brought a carpet from the Troy rug store which was of wonderful quality and at a very fair price. We walked in there because there was a lonely planet recommendation in the window. We negotiated a bit on the price as we didn't have much money but Mustafa was very honest and fair and doesn't need to be haggled down like some of the other carpet dealers as the prices he sets are fair. He and his assistant were such friendly and lovely people you immediately trust them both. We went in again later to say hello and walked out with two more purchases a kilm camel saddle bag and salt bag. I highly recommend you visit the Troy rug shop and get your own precious treasures from Turkey off Mustafa

2  Thank Rosiejoroseanna
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We wanted to purchase a rug in Istanbul but found the experience very stressful in the grand bazaar. Mustafa at the Troy rug store was just great, he was fine with us thinking overnight about our purchase and we had tea offered to us even after our purchase. Mustafa is knowledgeable, warm and a lovely person. We would definitely purchase again if we go back to Istanbul! Do try it if you are thinking to get a rug!

3  Thank Maldjian