“amazingly creative food. probably one of the best. should not be missed”
Review of Gile Restaurant - CLOSED

Gile Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Besiktas
Tel aviv
“amazingly creative food. probably one of the best. should not be missed”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

had dinner here.
every one of the dishes shined. the flavour pairings are creative and surprisingly complementary - sirlion with apples, apple pie spices and roses, chocolate desert with paprika and chilly flakes ice cream, beef tartar with strawberries, lamb with apricot puree, etc.... all the flavors are intense on the one hand, but as a whole, work beautifully to enhance each other.
the chef does not compromise on local turkish flavours - bulgar wheat, baklava, aubergine and more, but gives them a modern interpretation.
the dishes are masterfully plated - a cornucopia of colors, textures, shapes, sizes and smells.
for us, the highlights were the mains - top quality meat and lamb are paired with unusual flavors and the deserts - combining sweet and savory flavors.

the prices are lower than you would expect at a restaurant of this sort. could easily have been a 1-2 star michelin restaurant if michelin had reviewed turkey.
service is friendly and attentive, although the waiters' english (although they tried hard) should be improved.
THIS PLACE SHOULD NOT BE MISSED! having eaten at a few michelin star restaurants, this restaurants certainly tops them all.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington dc
“Probably the best International (Turkish) restaurant”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is an outstanding restaurant. We took the tasting menu which was 170 TL (about 80$). Had 8 courses and a lot of small tasting bites. The food was outstanding. A lot of Turkish dishes have been modified and in many cases made much more interesting to an international palate. There is good but reasonably expensive wine list with a lot of very good Turkish wines. Lamb file wrapped in Phyllo dough and lamb shoulder were outstanding. The other dishes were also very interesting and one should try the a la carte menu to try some of the dishes outside the tasting menu.

The ambiance is not great, and when we came in the music was quite loud and not appropriate for a restaurant of this type. But when we asked to lower the volume they did it immediately.

This is by far an outstanding restaurant that can easily receive one Michelin star anywhere. It is expensive by Turkish standards but in line with international ones of this caliber. Paid about $290 for 2 with a bottle of a very good Turkish wine. I would recommend this place to every food lover that visits Istanbul.

• Visited June 2014
“One of the best meals ever”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is fine, elegant, and innovative restaurant. World class cuisine served in a lovely space. The chef has taken Turkish classics and turned them on their head-- brilliant, lovely tastes, beautiful plating. Absolutely the best food in Istanbul, and rates a Michelin star or two-- quality, service, atmosphere, innovation were equal to starred Michelin restaurants visited in Paris the week before. If you are serious about modern cuisine, make a reservation at Gile. It is just superb.

Visited May 2014
Oberageri, Switzerland
“fantastic dinner”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

amazing food and wines! we had a great dinner with fantasic service.
very modern but still a turkish influence! we will be back soon!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Astrid2906
NYC
“A fine restaurant - but perhaps a better experience had elsewhere”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Gile is a clearly "New Turkish" style restaurant, taking dishes that might be inspired by $5 street fare and turning them into tiny servings on gigantic plates with decorative sauces. (Think a celery sorbet to cleanse the palate - this was clever.)

We typically get tasting menus, with wine pairings, wherever we go. While I think that Gile is probably a great example for what it is trying to do, I wished we had chosen a different, more plebian, dining experience.

For example, all the wine pairings are Turkish wines, and only a few really matched the dishes in quality and strength. The majority were stretches or just not sensible. The portions were tiny (I am a fit, lean individual, so if I leave hungry, that's an issue). This would be ok if the degustation were 15 courses - it wasn't.

On a Monday night, the restaurant was not well attended and I had my choice of tables. I am forced to mention that an odd drip came from the ceiling - I was so surprised, I held out my hand until I got hit again, and then the maitre d' was happy to move me - he was also surprised.

The strength, oddly, was in the desserts, which were the "least" Turkish of the batch.

This is my third trip to Turkey, each time for a wedding of Turkish friends who live as expats in the USA. We have quite a fancy time in that sense, and I think I would have preferred to have spent my last meal in Turkey either at a place not of this genre, or, if looking for "proudly Turkish" cuisine, then at Set Balik.

The restaurant recommends a taxi to get there, but it is actually easily walkable from Besiktas (via ferry) or Kabatas (15 minute walk along the river).

We paid TL 170 (about $82) for the tasting menu, TL 100 more ($48 or so) for the wine pairing, of which we had one. I would note the waiter underpours the wines if you subscribe to the "widest part of the glass" theory - but we didn't end up drinking everything anyway.

Reservations are recommended, but I would be surprised if they are necessary. The staff does respond quickly to email and remembered our seating and ordering desires, which was a plus.

• Visited May 2014