“Retropera Hotel sets a- bench mark in world hospitality.”
Review of Retropera Hotel

Retropera Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,078 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Retropera packs a big punch for such a small property. I have worked in the hotel industry for 40 years as an owner, manager, consultant, assessor and judge of accommodation awards, so I can be quite critical at times. What this property lacks in facilities is made up for tenfold in hospitality and amazingly the owner is an engineer and it is his first hotel project. My wife and friends enjoyed 5 nights and all the staff went out of their way to make our stay most enjoyable. Amazingly run by all men not a female insight. We travelled on to Israel, Cyprus, Greek Islands, Athens and Bangkock and never again experienced this level of caring service.

Room Tip: We booked a superior suite that was a larger room with views our friends had a smaller room and they...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Retropera Hotel for 5 nights and I have to say it is probably the best overall hotel experience for the price that I have ever had. From the moment we arrived, with the owner, Mehmet, running after our taxi to make certain we hadn't left any bags, we were welcomed with a warmness and hospitality that went beyond our expectations. From making dinner reservations for us to drawing out paths on a map of the city to even lending us their personal Istanbul Kart to use the various forms of local transportation, you can tell that everyone at Retropera genuinely cares about your experience. It felt like we were staying with friends.

As for the hotel itself, we found the design tasteful and understated (in a good way). The room we stayed in was big enough to house our luggage and still let us walk comfortably around the bed. The mini fridge with bottles of water was a nice bonus, and everything was very clean. I also like the polished concrete floors very much – no carpets to absorb dirt or odors, so the room felt especially hygienic.

The shower is worth mentioning on its own. The shower head is positioned high enough that tall travelers won't have to stoop down. Water pressure was very good and it stayed hot throughout the duration of the shower. It's an all-glass walk-in shower (no tub to step over), very well sealed so that no water escapes to the rest of the floor. At first I couldn't find the drain, but it's an inconspicuous, narrow slit that demonstrates the amount of attention paid to the design of the bathroom.

Other things: there is an elevator, which you don't always get at little hotels, and it is very new and modern. The breakfast spread on the top floor was very good – enough variety to please my wife's and my different tastes. If I had any complaint it would be that the coffee machine produces a somewhat weak brew. But you're in Istanbul, so go out and have a Turkish coffee (or if you must, there is a Starbucks in Taksim Square).

The location was excellent. Literally steps from Taksim Square, which puts you at the top of Istiklal Caddesi, the main modern shopping thoroughfare, and right by the metro and funicular, to help get you to other parts of the city. With staff in the lobby 24 hours a day, safety was not a concern.

To sum up, I feel like I received incredible value for what I paid to stay at Retropera Hotel. You can tell that they genuinely care about their guests' experience have staying there (and in Istanbul itself), and I wish them a lot of success. They've created something really great.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GreggHartling
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Everything from the moment I set foot in this family run hotel to the moment i left! I arrived close to 10am, reception excused themselves as my room was not ready. Of course being so early I did not expect the room to be ready, let alone an apology!! I was invited to b'fast after check in - I was not entitled to this b’fast it was also late for b’fast room - but restaurant also remained open to accommodate me! At the terrace b'fast room I met the nephew of the owner, just 20 yrs old with an incredible hospitable character, great English and a huge smile on his face as he goes out of his way to make sure you have everything you need at b'fast, you are served like a king! The owners/staff should teach in the hospitality industry, their service exceeded my expectations and coming from a person who travels every other month I do appreciate an outstanding friendly service. I was in a 5 star (dedeman antalya) just the week before I set foot in this homely hotel and I have to tell you what a difference it is when the service is so good, what a pleasant surprise Retropera turned out to be - At a 5 star, and they did not have a clue about service in comparison; then you go to this brand new Retropera expecting nothing and you find they are an example for this industry! Turkish hospitality at its best :)

Location just off Taksim – Excellent Hotel – new, clean Room service - anytime Staff the best - even came out to look for me when I got lost or arrived late at night by taxi Will I go back? As soon as I am back in Istanbul without a doubt!..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

there is only one word.. it was great!

this is the first Hotel I will recommend to all my friend and family. Istanbul is a very hectic city but when you set 1 step inside this hotel you will feel already relaxed. Would you like to have some coffee or tea was the first question and it feld the same as having a drink with friends and family.

The 2 owners Mehmet and Rahmi are always around, you wil see them at breakfast and even late at night when you get back at the hotel after having some drinks. The owners and all of te staff are very hepfull with tips and provide you with an unique travel experienvce. Wherever you would like to go they will come up with the best option (time / transport etc). The hotel is clean, quiet, and it is on a great location next to Taxim square with all kinds off shops and restaurants. The design will give you a luxelury feeling what you will find in a 5 star hotel.

If you ask for tips they will send you to places where the locals would go and this is the Istanbul exeprience I will always remenber.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Rahmi, Mehmet (the two owners) and all other staff members have one goal, make you feel at home. And they surely do! I am a frequent traveler and I've never felt so at ease in any hotel (big or small) as at the Retropera hotel. The hotel is clean, quiet (although it is only 50 meters away from Taksim square and the main shopping street), the rooms are comfortable (free wifi, great rain showers!), nice retro decoration, good breakfast and most important - very friendly and helpful staff, There is always someone at the reception (24/7), who does not only sit there but is genuinly interested in how you are doing. Coffee / thee / water is always offered and all of them try to make the most out of your trip by providing you with tips and help you wherever they can (carry your bag to the airport bus, print out boarding passes, make reservations at restaurants and musea, and even driving a taxi themselves as they were afraid the taxi driver would not bring us to a meeting on time). They make you feel special and I really recommend this hotel to everyone visiting Istanbul. It will provide you with an unique experience of Turkish hospitality!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

A fantastic little trendy hotel right on the edge of taksim square. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. The reception is very chique and the rooms are modern and spacious. The deluxe double has a great view across the city. We only stayed one night as we had a transfer in Istanbul but would definitely go back for a longer stay. Even though we left at 6am they prepared breakfast for our taxi ride to the airport and a little gift of turkish tea glasses. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I reserved this hotel because of the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor... and I'm here to make another excellent review! Why? Because the hotel owners are extremely kind, because the room is very clean and comfortable, because the hotel is very close to the city centre and, first of all in my opinion, because the breakfast in the terrace at the last floor is unforgettable!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business