“Retropera Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 1,047 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Casoria, Italy
“Retropera Hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This Hotel is absolutely fantastic not only for the position (you are in Taksim Square) but for the kindness and hospitality of his Owner Rahmi. He was very kind, polite and available for every request i did. I can only confirm that the feedbacks that i've read about this hotel are truthful. if one day i'll come back to Istanbul, for sure i'll book this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at Retropera Hotel for three days during a business stay in October. The hotel has what you would expect in terms of facilities, a convenient location near Taksim square, and a nice breakfast restaurant with views over the city. But what really makes the difference is the very kind and personal service from everyone at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 October 2013

very trendy (retro) and brand new hotel, located at one of the best spots in Istanbul (next to Taksim Sq.)
appropriate rooms which make you feel relaxed immediately, a perfect roof top terrace for breakfasting, comfortable beds and a nice rain fall shower

this above points are findable in many hotels, but mostly not this extraordinary hospitality! it was a pleasure to stay in this hotel for 4 nights. special thanks to the owner Rahmi!

We will come back for sure!

1 Thank StefanLueg
Utrecht
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Many compliments to Mehmet and his business partner; we really felt 'at home' in Istanbul. This was primarily because of the warm welcome, the service focus and their positive attitude.
Both men ( but also the rest of the team) did more than you may expect from them and felt like staying at home with friends who provided all the tips for places to see and eat as well as making the reservations, transit etc.
Hotel has nice rooms with suffcient space and splendid shower; all you need for a good stay.

1 Thank Hendriksma
Brisbane
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Retropera packs a big punch for such a small property. I have worked in the hotel industry for 40 years as an owner, manager, consultant, assessor and judge of accommodation awards, so I can be quite critical at times. What this property lacks in facilities is made up for tenfold in hospitality and amazingly the owner is an engineer and it is his first hotel project. My wife and friends enjoyed 5 nights and all the staff went out of their way to make our stay most enjoyable. Amazingly run by all men not a female insight. We travelled on to Israel, Cyprus, Greek Islands, Athens and Bangkock and never again experienced this level of caring service.

Room Tip: We booked a superior suite that was a larger room with views our friends had a smaller room and they...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Retropera Hotel for 5 nights and I have to say it is probably the best overall hotel experience for the price that I have ever had. From the moment we arrived, with the owner, Mehmet, running after our taxi to make certain we hadn't left any bags, we were welcomed with a warmness and hospitality that went beyond our expectations. From making dinner reservations for us to drawing out paths on a map of the city to even lending us their personal Istanbul Kart to use the various forms of local transportation, you can tell that everyone at Retropera genuinely cares about your experience. It felt like we were staying with friends.

As for the hotel itself, we found the design tasteful and understated (in a good way). The room we stayed in was big enough to house our luggage and still let us walk comfortably around the bed. The mini fridge with bottles of water was a nice bonus, and everything was very clean. I also like the polished concrete floors very much – no carpets to absorb dirt or odors, so the room felt especially hygienic.

The shower is worth mentioning on its own. The shower head is positioned high enough that tall travelers won't have to stoop down. Water pressure was very good and it stayed hot throughout the duration of the shower. It's an all-glass walk-in shower (no tub to step over), very well sealed so that no water escapes to the rest of the floor. At first I couldn't find the drain, but it's an inconspicuous, narrow slit that demonstrates the amount of attention paid to the design of the bathroom.

Other things: there is an elevator, which you don't always get at little hotels, and it is very new and modern. The breakfast spread on the top floor was very good – enough variety to please my wife's and my different tastes. If I had any complaint it would be that the coffee machine produces a somewhat weak brew. But you're in Istanbul, so go out and have a Turkish coffee (or if you must, there is a Starbucks in Taksim Square).

The location was excellent. Literally steps from Taksim Square, which puts you at the top of Istiklal Caddesi, the main modern shopping thoroughfare, and right by the metro and funicular, to help get you to other parts of the city. With staff in the lobby 24 hours a day, safety was not a concern.

To sum up, I feel like I received incredible value for what I paid to stay at Retropera Hotel. You can tell that they genuinely care about their guests' experience have staying there (and in Istanbul itself), and I wish them a lot of success. They've created something really great.

1 Thank GreggHartling
Swieqi, Malta
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Everything from the moment I set foot in this family run hotel to the moment i left! I arrived close to 10am, reception excused themselves as my room was not ready. Of course being so early I did not expect the room to be ready, let alone an apology!! I was invited to b'fast after check in - I was not entitled to this b’fast it was also late for b’fast room - but restaurant also remained open to accommodate me! At the terrace b'fast room I met the nephew of the owner, just 20 yrs old with an incredible hospitable character, great English and a huge smile on his face as he goes out of his way to make sure you have everything you need at b'fast, you are served like a king! The owners/staff should teach in the hospitality industry, their service exceeded my expectations and coming from a person who travels every other month I do appreciate an outstanding friendly service. I was in a 5 star (dedeman antalya) just the week before I set foot in this homely hotel and I have to tell you what a difference it is when the service is so good, what a pleasant surprise Retropera turned out to be - At a 5 star, and they did not have a clue about service in comparison; then you go to this brand new Retropera expecting nothing and you find they are an example for this industry! Turkish hospitality at its best :)

Location just off Taksim – Excellent Hotel – new, clean Room service - anytime Staff the best - even came out to look for me when I got lost or arrived late at night by taxi Will I go back? As soon as I am back in Istanbul without a doubt!..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business