“Great People and Fantastic Selection”

Heritage Nomadic Art Gallery
Ranked #88 of 1,096 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Discover the magic world of kilims and carpets. Awide range of exceptional village rugs, individually handmade with natural dyes and the finest handspun wool.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My friend and I were recently in Istanbul and this shop was recommended to us by someone at our hotel as a good place to find a statue of the Ayasofya. It's tucked away down the little street that runs along the left side of the gardens of the Ayasofya and we weren't disappointed. The owners are friendly and helpful and perhaps the only "non-pushy" sellers I ran into in Istanbul. They love to show you everything they have for sale and give you a chance to decide for yourself without any pressure while telling you the stories of where everything came from. I walked away with two beautiful handwoven silk scarves and some really pretty earrings with a matching necklace, not to mention two more pashminas and a statue of my beloved Ayasofya. I wouldn't hesitate to shop here again because I found a few more things that I'd like to take home but decided that I had to leave something for the next time that I visit.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I went to Heritage Nomadic Art Gallery on the recommendation of my Turkish friend who is local to Istanbul and an artist himself. The selection was extremely good and they had very unique items I hadn't seen any where else in Istanbul. It is a family owned business and Ugur explained to me how he buys direct from the nomads and craftsmen who make these items into more remote areas which why it is not a surprise why his shop has such high quality and unique items. Because they buy direct from the artists their pricing is extremely fair and I even was able to make payments in installments. I purchased a gorgeous Kilim carpet and they shipped it door to door to my home in California, the process was extremely easy and efficient. It was so interesting talking with Ugur because he is so incredibly passionate and knowledgable about the art he has accquired, whenever I am in Istanbul again looking for hidden jems this is the first place I would stop!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We visited this shop on our trip last year to Istanbul and this year stayed in the room right above the shop (Ottoman Hotel Imperial... another great find!) Needless to say, we made more than a few trips to the shop. Our wives loved the shop and we found the owner to be a very friendly and courteous man. He really has an incredible mix of items in a relatively small space. It was kind of like the Grand Bazaar compressed into a quaint little shop, only without the pressure and with better prices. It's on the little street that runs along the side of the Ayasofya, so don't miss it if you are in Sultanahmet Square!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

As others have mentioned in their reviews, Hasan makes visiting this shop a low-key but satisfying experience. My sister and I stumbled upon this shop on our first day in Istanbul, and after a long flight and little sleep, we were more in the market to browse, not buy. Hasan recognized that and took 20-30 minutes to show us the different types of rugs that are available both in his shop, but also in Turkey, and general principles to consider while looking at rugs. There was zero pressure to buy, even after he had spent so much time with us, and his orientation made us more familiar with what was available in Turkey during our travels the next few days.

When we returned to Istanbul later that week, we decided to return to this shop, since they had a wide selection and low prices, compared to other shops we had seen. Hasan remembered us, asked us what we were interested in seeing, and spent over an hour showing us a wide array of rugs, without pressuring us to make up our minds too quickly (unlike another shop I had visited immediately before, whose owner told me I was "confused" about what I liked, since I didn't like any of their *very expensive* rugs). They have a wide variety of kilim rugs, including several made by his own family that had very unique designs and were quite eye-catching and intricate.

When we had narrowed down our choices, we had as much time alone as we needed to consider our options, and we each made purchases that we were very happy with. They also have a wide variety of ceramics to choose from as well.

This is a very welcoming store with a great selection and knowledgeable staff (Hasan) to help you with your purchase. I can't speak highly enough of it, and if I return to Istanbul, I will definitely go back!

1  Thank Emily D
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We shopped here twice. The first time a bought few things, the second time much more, but both times the experience was the same, friendly, courteous, patient. There stocks are truly beautiful, like Aladdin's cave, and especially the textiles are a dream, and so hard to choose. The prices are reasonable, and discounts are generous with no haggling. I loved it, really enjoyed the owners and bought truly lovely presents.

1  Thank 1marbil23