We were looking for a hotel to stay over 5 nights in Istanbul, but unfortunately with very little anticipation (less than two weeks). This meant that the offer in the price range we were targeting was very limited.
Among the hotels we considered were the Black Tulip, the Saba Sultan and the Golden City. We ended up staying at the Beyaz Saray partly because the other alternatives disappeared before we could book them, and partly because of its location in the Old Town.
- The Beyaz Saray is within walking distance to the main landmarks in Sultanahmet. However, it is not *next* to them, for example Hagya Sofia was a 15-min walk. Beyazit tram station is 5 minutes away, which is convenient to reach the landmarks in Galata and in the New City, such as Dolmabahce Palace (tip: if you are staying for more than two days and plan to use public transport, make sure to buy an Istanbul Card, as ticket prices are significantly lower than buying the tokens individually).
- We had one dinner at the hotel's restaurant 'Vista', which is located in the 4th floor in the same place where breakfast is served. Besides the good food quality, there is a nice view, prices were fair and staff was great. A pleasant surprise!
- Breakfast was a huge disappointment. Another reviewer appropriately described it as 'bland', and I would add that there was no variety in the spread. It was exactly the same every day -I have to say it didn't look fresh- so the last day we decided to go to the Starbucks that is located nearby on Divan Yolu.
- Our room faced the inner patio and had very little privacy, as the thin curtains allow you to see everything that is happening in the rooms opposite. Perhaps other sections of the hotel have been renovated, but it wasn't the case of our room.
- Upon our arrival, we noticed that the baby-cot that we had requested was not properly assembled. After calling the reception twice to have someone fix it, and with no one showing up, our baby ended sleeping with us the first night. The baby-cot was replaced the next day, but it was an uncomfortable situation.
- Internet was on and off. While it worked, connection speed was so-so. At the lobby, there was a day when it didn't work at all.
- Bathroom was ok, with a decent shower but no bath-tub. However, towels were very worn and both shampoo and soap were not replenished frequently. The floor was very worn in some sections.
In summary: I wouldn't stay here again. Normally I would have given 2 stars out five to this hotel, but the good performance of the staff makes it a 3 out of five. Even at 120 usd/night, it was expensive for what we got in return.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Expedia so you can book your Hotel Beyaz Saray reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Saray Hotel Istanbul
- Barcelo Hotel Istanbul
- Barcelo Hotel Saray