“Maria”

Ranked #643 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Oslo, Norway
“Maria”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I really don't recommend this hotel. You can be accused using minibar articles without you actually have taken anything. When I wanted to check out, the receptionist said that I'd taken some potatochips from the minibar. I got to pay 3€ for that little stupid chips bag. I don't know if it was the maid who took the chips from minibar and put it on my room or if it is some kind of systematic plan from staff to earn som extra money. You can't prove anything and you have to pay for those things. You don't even get any receipt for that!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AaBbCc2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of July - from the 2nd to the 6th. First of all, it is true that they don't speak very good English. But then, this is Istanbul, not the UK so I really don't care about that (PS, please enjoy the delicious irony of the review two below mine and the guy that clearly lacks English skills moaning at the hotel for their lack of the same English skills)

The Good
My room was clean, cleaned every single day except the one where I slept late and didn't let the cleaner in. The bathroom was spotless and the shower amazing. The evening staff at reception, in the restaurant and behind the bar were friendly and welcoming and if the daytime staff had matched their enthusiasm and friendliness this review would probably be a lot better.
The location was convenient and easy - plenty of retaurants and bars within a five minute walk and only 20 minutes, via the Grand Bazaar, to the Blue Mosque etc.
Beds were very comfortable. Definite plus side.

The Bad
How does me having 2 beers at 3 Euros each and 4 bottles of water at 2 Euros each from my mini-bar come to a grand total of 46 Euros??? Tried to argue but in the end I paid for a lot more than I had used. Breakfast was pants in an epic way, with juice that tasted more like undiluted cordial than anything else.

Overall, the bad points were incredibly minor until it came time to check out. 46 Euros is not a massive problem but it says a lot about this hotel when they rip off their own guests.

Room Tip: Get one high up and around the back - nice views towards a whole load of mosques.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Charles_Knows_Best

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This was a 50th birthday present for my husband and really looking forward to our stay here. When I booked this hotel it stated complete wi-fi availabilty.....not true!!! The room that was booked for us was one that had two separate beds and not a double bed which was what was initially the booked. This was rectified but the room given was smaller. The staff speak very bad English. The toilet had a leak. Breakfast was very basic with little choice and having the same for three days was very boring. The 'panoramic lounge' is a view across shanty rooftops and not a great site at breakfast every morning. The location of the hotel is in a very noisy area. On the last day we asked for taxi to be ordered to take us to the airport. This was not done at the time we requested. We eventually arranged this ourselves just in time, otherwise we would have missed our flight.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ameeta R
Bogota
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stood at Oran Hotel for three days in this hotel. Firstable, They speak a very bad english so they'll never understand what you say. Second, I had a hurry because I had a medical emergency and asked them to help me get a doctor and they didn't. So I had to take a taxi and look for a hospital by myself. Later, when I went to the front desk for the check out, they charged me 55 euros for 3 (three) phone calls I made to my Insurance company. When I asked them for the phone call bills they didn't give it to me, so I felt robbed. I definitely recommend NOT TO STAY in this hotel. There are plenty of hotels around and I'm sure with a good service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank nickbahamas
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Hotel Oran is cheap and simple, in general it´s good value for money.
Room was small, bathroom quite big, everything clean.
Breakfast was simple, but ok. Sea view is the best in breakfast room.

Location of this hotel is horrible, it´s in Russian area full of Russian shops and Russian people. We didn´t feel safe in the night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Petra182
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Its very comfortable hotel. Hotel ıs ın great locatıon and alsıo very close to grand bazaar. Hotel stuff are very kınd and also have great restaurant wıth panorama vıew.

Room Tip: 740 nıce and good vıew room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emellau
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I want to show my appreciations to the manager Soneir. He was very helpful and made my shorttrip memorable.
I planned my trip one day before departure, didnt know where to go, a friend suggested I stay in Oran, immediatly sent an email for enquiery/reservation, got a prompt response and that was it.
The Hotel was good , nearest to the touristic landmarks, Grand Bazar, Sofia, Blue Mosque, less than 5 mins Tramway station.
Deinitrely i will go back to Istanbul, and for sure to Oran.

Room Tip: 7th Floor is the best
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple