“An inspiring place that is a must see!”
Review of Caferaga Medresesi

Ranked #64 of 1,063 things to do in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“An inspiring place that is a must see!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This gallery and traditional Turkish arts school are not to be missed. Our host, Coskun, was very helpful and knowledgeable and has patiently shown my son the traditional art of Ebru and Calligraphy quite a few times. The gallery room is filled with some amazing pieces created by Coskun and his colleagues. You can browse those with or without Coskun's expert guidance and a delicious Turkish tea in hand.
You can't visit a gallery and not the school at the end of the alleyway. You will come to a beautiful courtyard surrounded with rooms, each displaying different traditional Turkish arts and crafts.
Coskun - thank you so much for showing us around!

Visited November 2013

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Authentic Turkish Art”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Before our visit to Turkey we were so hoping to find a place to see a demo of Ebru painting. We had no idea where to find it so imagine our surprise when we stumbled into Caferaga Medresesi. Josh was open and informative. He is clearly passionate about the art and happy to show us (over a period of three days!!) his talent, not only with the Ebru, but also his incredible calligraphy skills.
Find it!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank robin_miller_wa
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great place to visit!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I strongly recommend you to visit Caferaga Medresesi; it is located next to Hagia Sophia. It was built in 1559 by the chief architect of Ottomans. It was converted into a traditional art center by the Turkish Cultural Service Foundation in 1989 with gives a number of workshops, classrooms-exhibition rooms and a garden where traditional Turkish handicrafts such as calligraphy, jewelry, ceramics and, Ebru (marbling). I always visit the restaurant for a cup of cay. I enjoy stopping at the gallery. Mr. Coskun Uzunkaya (Josh) helps you in the gallery; he gives you information about the collections. He is very good at calligraphy and Ebru art! Watching him create an Ebru print is an amazing experience. He is so talented. My visit to gallery is one of the highlights of my trip to Istanbul.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank M K
Reston, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My experience at Caferaga Medresesi is one I will never forget. Caferaga is an art center that has arts from painting to ceramic. My family (group of 5) took an ebru class. Ebru is a painting on water with specialy made paints. With ebru, you can make flowers and animals of all kinds. The art can be made by anyone (age 7 and up) and can be very fun. After you finish the painting, you transfer it to paper and let it dry to become a beautiful masterpiece. Our teacher Coskun Bey was full of positive enery that he spread to his surroundings. You could tell he really loved his job (like everyone else who worked there). Ebru also gathers your inner ardor and you use it to complete your artwork. Even is you are young (I am 11) you can feel joy, the moment you walk into Caferaga's friendly community. Your troubles melt away and you become a different and happier person. I thank the whole organization for giving me this opportunity. It was an unforgettable journey to true happiness.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Ada B
Bermuda
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Wonderful art lesson - not to be missed!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

On a recent trip to Istanbul, we spent some time having marbling lessons. Josh, our teacher, is very passionate about art and this is evident in the manner in which he encourages others to try their hand at this ancient art. This is a must-do for any tourist who is not satisfied by simply following the beaten tourist path. We spent eight days in Turkey and five days on a Greek Island cruise and I can honestly say that this was the highlight of our trip.

Visited June 2013