“Unique.. But Please Beware!”
Review of Cagaloglu Baths

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unique.. But Please Beware!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You will leave this place feeling rejuvenated, but if you have my experience, you may also leave feeling like you've had cartilage torn in your knee. True, this is a unique experience and very rejuvenating and refreshing. I ordered the 60 euro service, which is a bit overpriced, but again, worth the experience. They know what they're doing as far as the massage and exfoliation goes. Where they will, if you let them, overstep their boundaries is in the manipulation of your joints. To state the obvious, these people do not know your medical conditions, ailments, how limber you are, etc. I am a very fit 30-something male, but the gentleman took my leg, bent it sideways, stretched it to the limit, and the pushed/jerked the sh#$ out of it. Who but a physical therapist, or perhaps a chiropractor, would dare do that?! I screamed an expletive after I heard something pop, and he responds, "just trust me." That was obviously my problem to begin with. Caveat emptor, I suppose! It has been several days, and I'm still unsure whether I really injured it. If you want to go here because it's where famous people have gone, or because it's in "1000 places to see before you die", then please do. Just beware once they start bending your body! Otherwise, try a different place that might have better prices and will probably provide better service due to the fact they're not 'famous'.

Visited July 2014
8 Thank J B

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A unique experience, but I'd recommend elsewhere”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I also agree with most of the reviews. You're going to the Cagaloglu Baths for the history and to say that you've been...not for quality service, a rewarding massage or to feel pampered.

Not a waste of money and glad to say I've gone an experienced it, but not sure I would recommend it to others and the next time I'm in Istanbul, I will for sure be going elsewhere.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Mike L
Kent
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Dismal visit to Cagaloglu Hamami”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited this hamam in June. We paid 250 euros (5 people) for '3' treatments. Our Insight Guide stated ' As a spectator sport, nothing surpasses a hammam - be sure to visit one during your stay' and 'superb care is offered in this 400 year old bathhouse'. The experience, particularly for the females was utterly disappointing, one treatment consisted of a hairwash. The staff was disaffected, there was no atmosphere, no water was provided, barely any English spoken. In short, it was a complete rip off. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES be persuaded to use these facilities. The only saving grace was that we passed on the information and over 20 people were spared the same experience.

Visited June 2014
7 Thank Minnie-LdS
istanbul
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Taken to the cleaners”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I paid 50 euro for massage and exfoliation combo, very surprised after 10 mins he said 'service finished'. Made to sit back near the reception to dry off, no water or other drink offered - just the staff staring intensely at us. Nice building but I wouldn't recommend it for a good Istanbul hammam experience.

6 Thank Pm2014x
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An 'experience' but not the best”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Agree with most comments. Expensive, slightly rude receptionist, no clear indication of what to do, very average massage and then staff desperate for tips. Didn't research others for comparison but would definitely advise. Not a waste of money but was hoping for better

3 Thank ukdavidhewitt