“Good for the eyes and body”
Review of Cagaloglu Baths

Ranked #9 of 135 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Our mainly of four had a great time in this hammam. My two boys (12&13) loved this experience and the masseuses were really great with them. We had a steam, had fun watering ourselves in the fountains had our scrub-down and then enjoyed the garden. A hammam experience is a must-do, and we enjoyed this one for our family as it is so beautifully built and well-run. We met up with my wife in the garden where we enjoyed tea and played some backgammon, another stunningly beautiful space.

1  Thank Alex V

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I wouldn't recommend this hamam. I have been to one hamam before in İstanbul (çemberlitaş) and the inside atmosphere and service is really almost identical. It costs around 50 euros to get a decent hamam package (and no Turkish person would pay this much). We spent more time waiting for the attendant to come in and start the service than the amount of time they actually spent on us. The attendants were nice but no one explains how the service works or what to expect, we were mostly laying around a bit confused. There was no where to relax after the service (at least Çemberlitaş had a jacuzzi to use in the ladies section). I wouldn't visit this hamam again.

3  Thank Burak A
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You will leave this place feeling rejuvenated, but if you have my experience, you may also leave feeling like you've had cartilage torn in your knee. True, this is a unique experience and very rejuvenating and refreshing. I ordered the 60 euro service, which is a bit overpriced, but again, worth the experience. They know what they're doing as far as the massage and exfoliation goes. Where they will, if you let them, overstep their boundaries is in the manipulation of your joints. To state the obvious, these people do not know your medical conditions, ailments, how limber you are, etc. I am a very fit 30-something male, but the gentleman took my leg, bent it sideways, stretched it to the limit, and the pushed/jerked the sh#$ out of it. Who but a physical therapist, or perhaps a chiropractor, would dare do that?! I screamed an expletive after I heard something pop, and he responds, "just trust me." That was obviously my problem to begin with. Caveat emptor, I suppose! It has been several days, and I'm still unsure whether I really injured it. If you want to go here because it's where famous people have gone, or because it's in "1000 places to see before you die", then please do. Just beware once they start bending your body! Otherwise, try a different place that might have better prices and will probably provide better service due to the fact they're not 'famous'.

8  Thank J B
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I also agree with most of the reviews. You're going to the Cagaloglu Baths for the history and to say that you've been...not for quality service, a rewarding massage or to feel pampered.

Not a waste of money and glad to say I've gone an experienced it, but not sure I would recommend it to others and the next time I'm in Istanbul, I will for sure be going elsewhere.

3  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited this hamam in June. We paid 250 euros (5 people) for '3' treatments. Our Insight Guide stated ' As a spectator sport, nothing surpasses a hammam - be sure to visit one during your stay' and 'superb care is offered in this 400 year old bathhouse'. The experience, particularly for the females was utterly disappointing, one treatment consisted of a hairwash. The staff was disaffected, there was no atmosphere, no water was provided, barely any English spoken. In short, it was a complete rip off. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES be persuaded to use these facilities. The only saving grace was that we passed on the information and over 20 people were spared the same experience.

7  Thank Minnie-LdS