“Nice hotel, good location”

The Marmara Pera Hotel
Ranked #191 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We had a good experience at this hotel. Rooms are comfortable although bathrooms are relatively small. Breakfast is sizable and the staff is nice. Very nice rooftop bar with great views! Location is excellent - right off the big shopping street in Beyoglu and near the Tunel. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby as well. I would stay here again on my next trip to Istanbul.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zoe R
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor and share your comment with us.

In The Marmara Pera, the location is 5-star, view is 5-star and the most importantly, the service always aims to be 5-star. We would like to believe that these items above cover our lacking star.

It is a joyful moment for us to hear your satisfaction with The Marmara Pera Hotel.

Hope we will be your choice again on your next visit.

Regards,

The Marmara Pera

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Terribly consistent bad service from when we stepped out of the taxi to enter until we left. Rude front desk staff where you feel you are at the grand bazaar negotiating your way in and out. Other service staff are sparse if at all.
Good quality breakfast is the one positive element.
Rooms overlook noisy carpark and clubs.
Pool as advertised on rooftop only open to 6pm.
Not recommended for business or leisure. Good maybe if you are on a discount cruise ship tour holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scottjmcg

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your sharing your ideas with us.
Your feedbacks matter to us and please be kindly informed that your comment is shared with all departments.

Friendliness is one of our must-haves as The Marmara Pera staff. I would like to apologize on behalf of my colleagues if you have such an unpleasant experience with our team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on bschwindt@themarmarahotels.com for your upcoming stays so that I can arrange a quiet room for you and welcome you, myself.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 May 2013

The people working at the hotel are very friendly, some even speak fluently German (I'm a German native).
Breakfast is good with many things to choose from and very international. Cooks are there to make you a fresh omelette.

The roof top is amazing, great view over Istanbul, you can also see the Asian side of the city.
However, when we arrived, the pool was closed during our whole stay (1 week) although the weather was good to have a swim. The hotel did not really apologize for this nor inform us in advance so that I could have left my bathing suit at home.
Since the pool was closed, they also put away the cushions on the chairs and benches on the roof top, so it was very uncomfortable when you just wanted to lie in the sun, as the chairs and benches are rectangular and so very hard to sit on.

On my fresh bath towel I found a long hair which belonged to a woman (I was not travelling with a woman).
And the day I arrived, I found pubic hair in the bath tab and it was obvious to see. It would have been easy for the housekeepers to wash it away.
After I shaved my beard in the sink, everything in the sink was well cleaned by the housekeepers, but next to the water tap, there were still many hairs left. There were many hairs so it was obvious to see them, but they just did not clean it.
The used drinking glasses were not changed, although the housekeepers have surely seen that the glasses had been used.
The chair in the room had many dirty spots.

The gym on the hotel website looks huge, I thought that maybe 20-30 people could do sports there at the same time. However, they just photographed it very well and only the mirrors let you think that it is huge. But in reality, there are only 5 machines (2 treadmills, 1 cross trainer, 1 machine to lift weights, 1 machine to paddle). So as soon as there were 2 or 3 people at the same time (which is often the case as the hotel is not small), you have to wait a long time or go back to your room and come back later.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tripresume

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

The Marmara Pera cares all the guests' ideas and satisfaction. Therefore, we keep track of your comments and convey the message to each and every related department.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have been through. I wish you had informed us about those disturbances and we had the chance to fix our faults before you leave.

We believe in second chances and remind you that you are always more than welcome in our property.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We booked here having read all the rave reviews on this website.
Location wise, high up rooms have a reasonable view 30 euros extra if you want sea view. It's directly opposite a taxi rank and near the football stadium. Not far from the main street.
We arrived here and were initially shown to a twin room having requested a double, they were able to switch us quickly however.
At 10am the next morning as we were about to leave to go out for breakfast, reception called to say they were upgrading us and would be up to show us our new room immediately. 20 mins later we were shown to a room higher up with half a sea view. It hadn't been cleaned yet and seemed slightly smaller and not wanting the hassle of packing again we said thanks but no thanks. We were then informed maintenance was being carried out on our floor and so agreed to move. This later proved to be a lie or 'misunderstanding' as they put it.
The concierge said he was telephoning housekeeping right away and our new room would be ready within an hour. 2 1/2 hrs later- still not ready.
Went to use the rooftop pool- the whole reason we'd booked the hotel in the first place- only to find it was closed for repairs.
Asked to speak to the manager, fobbed off by the concierge for about 15 mins. Manager eventually appeared. We had an hour of him not really listening and repeatedly trying to fob us off with free breakfast. He then patronisingly offered a free bottle of wine. He refused to give us a refund and said there was nothing we could do. We complained about the pool being advertised as open from May to Sept and this not being the case and he smugly informed us the website didn't specify a date in May.
The room was nice enough but given how expensive it was, vastly overpriced. we were very disappointed and a bit upset by the manager's attitude.
There was something odd going on, not sure if it's because they were hosting the UN and a bit on edge but we got a bad feeling and were very glad to leave.
Fortunately our booking agent came through and refunded us.
We went to Elite World hotel which was lot cheaper and in my opinion much nicer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AJM308
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feeback, it is much appreciated.

We were not able to change your room in earlier because of our high occupancy and busy operation did not allow us. Please accept our sincere apologise since we were not able to exceed your expectation but please make sure that we always try to do best for our guest.

The Marmara Pera, "heated pool" will be at our guest service for winter season but we have to make some preparation for summer season because of that it was close for the short time period.

I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you to The Marmara Pera to show you that we can do better.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed twice over period of 3 weeks for work, service was excellent both times and the hotel felt warm and inviting. Loved the furniture in the bar and meals area. Theme continues in the rooms really nice touches all round. Very quiet stay and right in the old town district with lots of everything happening just around the corner. Hoping to get back to Istanbul for holiday and will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Great views in most rooms my colleagues stayed in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Aussie Travelle... N

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. We, especially me myself, are very pleased to hear your satisfaction with the hotel & services and bar decoration. For sure, every single word you take time and write down for us is precious yet encouraging.

The best part is welcoming you back in our property for one more The Marmara Pera lifetime experience!
Please contact me directly on bschwindt@themarmarahotels.com for your next trip to Istanbul.

Many Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have stayed at this lovely hotel last month for a weekend. Rooms are well decorated and has beautiful view of golden horn.
Location of the hotel is the best to have walking around and it is very close to the Old city.
Breakfast buffet is one of the best that I have ever had.
And for the night top floor restaurant is perfect! All other restaurants around the hotel is also good. Don't hesitate to try
On my next visit to Istanbul, I will definitely stay at The Marmara Pera.

Room Tip: Ask for Golden Horn view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ZDCB

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed yet sufficient review!

It is great to hear that we succeed in delivering 5-star quality service and make our guests feel comfortable within the borders of our property.

The Marmara Pera is situated in Beyoğlu- Pera area, on which the main avenue is İstiklal Street and it is all pedestrian. On İstiklal Street, although there is nostalgic tram, subway from one end to the other and bus stops in both ends; we always suggest our guests to discover this magnificent and restless city by walking.

Please contact me directly on bschwindt@themarmarahotels.com for your upcoming reservations and for any inquiries.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Marmara Pera helped us get rooms when we were in a tricky spot. Very friendly and helpful staff! Do visit the top-floor bar and pool (summer only). Its worth a trip in itself! You can see all of Istanbul from the terrasse. Only downsides would be: Dull exterior designs. Not top-optimal location (but well served by taxis so no big issue).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and your wonderful comments on me, myself and our team as The Marmara Pera.

The Marmara Pera is in the best available location for both tourists and locals.
It is in a walking distance to most attractions; including museums, stores, mosques and Bosphorus.

Considering every detail in the most comfortable way to accommodate guests at The Marmara Pera, "heated pool" will be at your service everyday for winter season.

I strongly suggest you to visit us again and discover İstanbul from another point of view.

Best Regards,