“Extremely Average”

Ranked #152 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Extremely Average”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Spent 3 nights at the hotel in May and was very underwhelmed. Whilst the location is very good, I found all other aspects of the hotel very average.

My room (on the 1st floor) - was very small and noisy. It overlooked the front of the hotel and the noise from traffic went on until the small hours. There was no wardrobe - Just a bar with a couple of hangers and very limited drawer space. This wasn't that important as I was only staying for 3 nights on my own, but would have been a major issue if with my partner for a week or so.

I also had issues with the in room safe - I put my netbook in the safe but then couldn't get it open. Maintenance was called and they opened it, but then informed me the reason the safe wouldn't open was that my computer was too large and not to put it in the safe again! Not very useful.

Breakfast was chaotic on 2 days - The Hotel works with the cruise lines and when a ship is in port the Hotel seems to be full of pre/post cruisers, which the breakfast room did not seem to be able to cope with.

The highlight of the hotel is the restaurant on the top floor - Mikla. The views are spectacular and the food and service were very good. It is not cheap, but it is definitely worth it.

I would suggest staying elsewhere and visiting Mikla for dinner.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor at the back of the hotel to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Berniejane0
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas with us.

In The Marmara Pera Hotel, we have 17 floors for guestrooms and it is for sure that the higher you get, the wider your view will be. Since there aren't any tall buildings around our hotel, even if your room is on the first floor, there will not be any obstacles between the city and you.

On the other hand, safeboxes are available both in the room and in our back office. I would like to apologize on behalf of my colleague with whom there probably had been a miscommunication about the safebox capacity in your room.

Hope you will prefer The Marmara Pera next time for a better experience.

The Marmara Pera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed four night at the hotel together with my wife.

Located very close to the Istaklal shooping street and fairly close to cosy Cihangir. A taxi to the old city with all the big attractions will cost around 15 TL (Beware when taking a taxi back since taxi scams are very common outside the touristy areas in old town).
Room was very good and clean with comfortable beds. Room was a bit less stiff decorated than usual when it comes to these type of hotels so that was a nice addition.
Breakfast buffé was very nice and there was a lot to choose from so you could have some variations on a longer stay. Staff was professional as you expect on a big hotel like this. All in all everything was very good but not amazing. What was amazing though was the view from the roof bar. Must be one of the best views in the city. Well worth a visit even if you don't stay at the hotel. There is a restaurant at the top as well if you like to eat a fancy dinner with a view or just take a glass of wine. And if you like to cool of a bit in the summer heat there is a pool on the roof as well. What more can you ask for.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write down your wonderful comment with us.

First thing that comes to your mind when what one is talking about is a hotel, is a good night sleep and a comfortable, clean bed. We are glad to hear your satisfaction with the hotel.

The location of The Marmara Pera is unique in the sense that it is in the middle of sophisticated Pera(everpopular Taksim) in a walking distance to intellectual Galata, bohemian Cihangir and uprising Karaköy.

And Mikla, of course... The ultimate bonus of the property.

That will be a pleasure for us to host you once again in The Marmara Pera.

Warm Regards,

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Windstar Cruises booked us into the Marmara Pera hotel for a two night stay in Istanbul prior to our Turkish & Greek Isle cruise. We stayed here the nights of 6/14 & 6/15 and could not have been more pleased with the staff and the accommodations. We had adjoining rooms on the 17th floor with great city views and wonderful service. The guest relations manager, Ms. Bicun Schwindt was wonderful and insured that all our questions were answered and that our room was perfect. While the rooms and bathrooms are somewhat small by American hotel room standards, they were clean and comfortable. In addition, the rooftop bar offered fabulous 360 degree views of the city, Golden Horn and sunsets. We ate breakfast both days and really enjoyed the wide selection of offerings. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great facility in an excellent location with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bdorch
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for you wonderful detailed review. I have shared with The Marmara Pera team members and your review was especially motivating us.

Taksim is one of the oldest residential and business areas of İstanbul which naturally makes the area the most colourful and spectacular part of the city, enriched with hundreds of stores, restaurants and people, 24 hours.

I hope you had the time to visit our heated pool at the rooftop which has one of the best views of the European side or enjoy Mikla Restaurant with its delicious food, great service at our roof.

As The Marmara Pera Hotel, we aim to serve our guest as excellent as possible and progress ourselves continuously. It is great when we have such beautiful feedbacks.

We are grateful for your superb description of your The Marmara experience.
Please contact us directly next time so we can make your next stay even more enjoyable. Warm wishes from the entire The Marmara Pera Team.

Best Ragards,

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I chose this hotel after an extensive search on tripadvisor. Location was the priority and the Marmara Pera definately ticked that box and second was the service and quality of the hotel. Absolutely no complaints. Good staff, great room! The view from the room was so relaxing, I enjoyed a lot of lie ins with coffee. The bathroom is fine, toileteries and towels are frequently replenished. Housekeeping came every time we asked. Room service was very prompt and well presented. We tried their vegetarian pizza, lovely! The rooms are maintained well but there is definately lack of attention to detail in the cleaning which was very obvious. The staff is helpful though not all are very friendly but at the end of the day, they are professional and helpful which is more essential. Excellent taxi service right infont which the concierge calls for you and even helps explain the driver where to go. Lots of variety of places to eat near by, groceries and ofcourse Istiklal street at a mere 5 minutes walking distance. The breakfast at the hotel is fabulous. Not a lot of variety but excellent in taste and quality with fresh juices, eggs to order as we wish, tea, coffee, just perfect. The chef in charge of overseeing the breakfast buffet is doing a great job. A lovely place to sit outside for coffee right outside the hotel's restaurant. Loved doing this when it was not raining. Unfortunately the gym closes early in the evening which is when I would be out sightseeing. They should extend the hours. The area is very safe and great for people watching too. I have no reason to choose another hotel on my next trip! The lady at the guest services is friendly so we would often ask her for tips regarding where to go. A great hotel in a very lovely, lively area, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lash7
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas with us.

As a 4-star hotel, we try to do our best to deliver you a 5-star experience.
We enjoyed your comment a lot because it simply proves that we met each and every requirement of a hotel: clean rooms, sense of style, tasty food, friendly service, not just good but the best location. The Marmara Pera is located in wonderland from a tourist's point of view. It is in a walking distance to most of the tourist attractions and also at the heart of the sophisticated yet intellectual spot of the city.

You can be sure that each time you prefer our hotel, smiley faces, comfy beds and beautiful views will be waiting for you.

Please be so kind to send me an e-mail directly on bschwindt@themarmarahotels.com before your next trip so that I will be able to organize the room and special treatment in advance.

london
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have recommended the Marmara Pera to many friends and they have always reported an excellent stay. I also stayed there in June 2013 - during a disruptive time in the city. The service was still excellent: cheerful warm receptionists, friendly doorman (who was wearing goggles to protect himself from tear gas as he handed water to gas victims) and calm professional service.
The rooms are clean, decor is pleasant (sometimes trying to be too quirky but otherwise okay) and staff are very good.

Pros: location location location! This is by far the most interesting area of town to stay in. It is off the main tourist trail, close to the best restaurants and historic area, where the "real" Istanbul life is. If you can sacrifice not being next door to the main sights in Sultanahmet, I would say there is no other area in which to stay. If you look you find a neighbourhood packed with history: the glorious Pera Museum, all the foreign consulates (when they are embassies to tne ottoman empire) , beautiful churches, elegant buildings (behind the neon) and fantastic cafes down the side streets of Istiklal (the main pedestrian street). Cool informal burger joints, nice coffee in relaxed cafes, local street eats, some of the best well priced restaurants in town and fancy roof top bars. It has it all.
The hotel has a great breakfast with nice coffee (if you nudge them, sometimes they dont offer) and a lovely (albeit expensive) rooftop bar with the BEST view in town.

located opposite the BEST taxi rank in town: professional and courteous drivers with some english.

Service - Ive had a bit of a hit and miss experience in Turkey but here it is consistent and professional. During the tear gas and protests the staff kept their calm and helped all guests and also some passer-bys who got caught up in the events. They all speak english.

Cons- small bathrooms, no tempting toileteries, slightly worn out towels, not a brilliant gym - could have a minor makeover and be better advertised to guests. Could offer regular coffee from the nice machine.

There are trendier, more hip hotels springing up in the city - and I would also recommend staying further up the Bosphorus if you have more $$$ to spend. But overall for a mid priced hotel with excellent service, you cant beat the Marmara Pera.

Room Tip: the city rooms are also okay - and have nice views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank traveller2007
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed and wonderful feedback.

Today is the 33rd day of Gezi Park protests and it would be a lie if anybody who is running any place in Taksim area claims no effect on their business.
As The Marmara Collection Hotels, we are proud to give a hand to the ones in need and simultaneously, inform our guests to avoid specific areas, stay calm etc.

We are pleased to hear your thoughts that we managed to cope with that situation.

If we are to talk about where to stay in İstanbul, yes, Beyoğlu area and specifically The Marmara Pera is the answer. Old City area is still in a walking distance of 25 minutes and there are plenty of attractions in Beyoğlu area, as well.

Secret restaurants, great rooftops and all the stores are a bonus!

You are always more than welcome in our property.

New York
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I don't know what other hotels, at the same price point, in the area are like, but on its own - this hotel has satisfied. The location is excellent, the staff is friendly and helpful, the room size is decent, and the view is awesome (ask for a room on a high floor). Would definitely consider this hotel next time I am in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stan D
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback.

The Marmara Pera Hotel aims to serve its guests in the ultimate way possible.
We are aware of the fact that there are plenty of hotels in the same area so we need to differentiate ourselves with our name,our design and also the staff/service quality.

It will be our pleasure to host you once again in our property and in İstanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I give the Marmara Pera five stars because it really deserves it. when I look for a hotel I look for three things, views from my room, customer service, and good food.
I found all three at this hotel. I traveled with my two kids and my husband. I booked a family room and was expecting a single room with a separate sitting area and a pull-out sofa as I am usually a costumed to when I book a family room with other hotels. It turned out to be two individually separate rooms right next to each other. I first was assigned two rooms on the 6th floor but I asked for a higher level room so I can get a better view. The person who was assisting me immediately with no questions looked for a second option and found two rooms on the fourteenth floor. the city view was amazing. I don't believe I would be able to get a good view from other hotels in the area without paying double price. Since Istanbul is a very old city many of the buildings including hotels are old and do not exceed 7 floors, and they are back to back. many of the hotels don't even have a view.
The room size was a typical hotel room. I read some reviews that it is very small. but I find it just like any other hotel room.
My room was cleaned daily and you have the option to have your bed sheets changed daily which is something you will not find in many hotels.
The bathroom was small but there were enough shelfs to put my accessories on.
The hotel is very clean, and decorated with a modern touch. if you are looking for a more classic look, find another hotel. Customer service is great. the staff greets you when you walk into the door with a smile and try their best to help with anything they can. I came across one single issue which I think it was due to the fact that the person did not understand what I was asking, I reported to the front desk and it was corrected immediately.
Breakfast was delicious and had everything I loved eating. I also enjoyed my double shot espresso that was included with the breakfast.
The place is close to everything. Take a right outside the hotel door and you will immediately be on Istequlal street (Independence Street) which is one of the busy streets with lots of European and local shops and decent prices. Also there are plenty of cafes and restaurants. Walk that street to the end and you will find yourself on the bridge connecting Takseem to the Old town. it took me only 20 minutes walk with frequent stops to look at some shops before I got to the old town.
If I return to Istanbul in the future I will definitely come back to The Marmara Pera.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RRMJ t
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed and priceless review.
We are considering to pass your review to our marketing department as "The Marmara Pera at a Glance" text.

Due to the perfect location of the hotel, even our first floor rooms have a good view of the city and for sure it gets better as you move up.

On the Food& Beverage side, delicious breakfasts and happy happy hours with DJ performances are happening in Cafe Marmara and refreshing evenings are ongoing at the Mikla Rooftop Bar!

This is just inside the hotel, there are millions of things to do in a walking distance to the hotel.

We are looking forward to see you here, again.

Warm Regards,