“Big let down...”

The Marmara Pera Hotel
Ranked #177 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had great expectations for this hotel since a friend had given it such rave reviews. Unfortunately, it was a let down the minute I exited the arrivals terminal at the airport. The promised "greeter" was not waiting at arrivals; had to hunt person down by calling the hotel to inform it of missing driver. Very poor service as greeter should be waiting at least 30 minutes prior to arrival in case the plane arrives early and the passenger has no checked-in luggage to delay exit. 20 minute delay finding the greeter, then another 5 minute delay waiting for the car to be called up. Upon arriving at hotel, room wasn't ready. Instead of the room I'd been promised, I was given another because the hotel had allowed the prior guests to check-out late --even though they knew they had guests arriving who expected to be checked-in to their room soonest. Not only that, they allowed said late check out until 4PM - what idiot hotel does that when they know that guests are arriving (you picked up said guest 40 minutes earlier!!). Seeing as they already messed-up the airport pick up, one would think they'd be wise enough to make-up for it by making check-in easy and expeditious. One would think... but apparently "acceptable" (not even great) customer service isn't yet a part of the fabric of this establishment. While wi-fi was free, it's choppy and takes time to connect to when in the rooms. Lobby connection wasn't all that great either. Nice enough location but terrible service. Neither is this a business hotel as there is only a tiny table with a equally mediocre stool. Will not be staying at this establishment again. As much as 5 star hotel chains may be cookie-cutter, they at least conform to expected industry practice and good business sense not to piss off arriving guests by allowing departing guests to take up room to the former's inconvenience.

Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Marmara Pera, and if I go back to Istanbul I will definetely stay here again. Rooms are nice and cozy, the gym is quite complete so it allows a good workout, but the best thing is the terrace. During the day you can enjoy the swimming pool with breathtaking views of all of Istanbul, and then at night it becomes a trendy spot to have a drink and hang out.
Location is fantastic only 1 block away from Istiklal Avenue, and about a 25 minute walk to Sultanahmet. Finally staff was quite corteuos.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Capodicapi2
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful and detailed review.

The Marmara Pera is located in wonderland from a tourist's point of view. It is in a walking distance to most of the tourist attractions and also at the heart of the sophisticated yet intellectual spot of the city.

Our ultimate aim is to obtain our guests a comfy clean room and an excellent service combined with a warm, friendly smile, whatever the time and the conditions are.

You should see our swimming pool which is open throughout the year now and we would love to welcome you in our property for much better The Marmara experience!

Kind Regards,

Biçun Schwindt
Guest Relations Manager
The Marmara Pera

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Istanbul is a crazy traffic town. The Marmara Pera is a calming and hip oasis in Beyoglu. To begin, the lobby is chic and inviting--with a 1950s glam vibe without actually looking like it was last renovated in the 1950s. We were upgraded to a "sea view" but told that there were two twin beds in the room, but they would make it up to a king bed while we were at dinner, which we had reserved at Mikla, the hotel restaurant. Unfortunately, when we returned from dinner they had forgotten to do this, but it was simple enough for us to do ourselves. The rooms are nicely appointed, chic and clean. Bathrooms are a bit small with standard European step-in shower, but there was a rainfall shower and the bath products were nice. Mikla restaurant was spectacular, with excellent rifts on Turkish cuisine, with the most amazing views of all of Istanbul. There is also an amazing rooftop terrace, where the pool is located. Sadly, we didn't have enough time to use the pool, but it looked fantastic to have amazing views while swimming. The neighborhood is fun with a bunch of little restaurants within walking distance, but a bit off from the tourist site of Sultanahmet--in Istanbul traffic, it once took us 45 minutes to get back in a taxi. However, there is a taxi stand right outside, so it is easy to hire one at any time. We would love to come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a high view, so that you can have a view!!
Reviewed 18 October 2013

At first, I must say that hotel is clean and the staff was polite as long as we had a problem. First problem was with a key,didn't unlock. Then we've seen rummaging through our stuff. Guys in charge of parking, scratched our car, beacuse they move them constantly, and my husband also saw the guy who kicked tyre and went inside, then rummaging shelves. Explanation of the management was that he checking the transission of car. Nonsense! They didn't admite guilt for our car, so we wanted to leave the hotel immediately, our vacation was ruined. The money for remaining two days wasn't return to us. I doubt i will ever visit Turkey.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent two nights at the Marmara Pera prior to a cruise. Although we had requested a non-smoking room, our room had a definite smokelike, irritating odor. In retrospect, we're not sure if it was the room, or the air pollution in the city. The window was open when we arrived, but there was no difference when we closed it.
It is recommended by the hotel that you not drink the tap water here. They give you two small bottles of water per day. We found a nearby small grocery and bought the additional water we needed, rather than paying 9 TL for a tall bottle. A tour guide told us the water is safe, but just has a bad taste. I don't know about that, but I can say that when I drew a bath after a long day of touring, the water was cafe' au lait colored.
Ask for a shower rather than a bathtub with shower at this hotel. The side of the tub in our room was over 2 feet high, and challenging even for me with my 5'8" height to negotiate. It did not feel safe.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and good. We received a coupon for a 20% discount from the front desk.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Not really the "luxury" hotel it describes itself as being, but pretty good. Hotel is set high on a hill in the Pera district of the new city, so the high-floor seaview rooms (about 40 euros extra) have outstanding views of the Golden Horn and the many mosques of the old city. Main Pera taxi stand is right across the street, so cabs are plentiful (and inexpensive) 24 hours a day. Close to a streetful of neighborhood restaurants on Asmali Mescit street, and also close to Istiklal street, a lively, crowded pedestrian artery full of shops and restaurants. Service was subpar for a hotel of this class - front desk people were particularly unhelpful. Breakfast buffet was very good - note: hotel guests on a room-only rate get the perk of a 20% breakfast discount, but you often have to ask for the discount card that is supposed to be delivered nightly. Rooms and bathroom/shower could use a facelift. Overall, however, a nice stay in a good location.

Room Tip: High floor sea view rooms are worth the extra 40 euros
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had a difficult time choosing where to stay when planning my trip to Istanbul. Once I decided I wanted to be in the new town, I narrowed my choices to a few hotels and out of those I picked Marmara Pera. It had a lot of mixed reviews here on Trip Advisor so I was a little nervous, but my Husband and I couldn't have been happier with the choice.

First of all the location is excellent. It's a wonderful walk down Istikal Street to Taksim Square and it's also an easy walk down to the Galata Bridge. (Stop and get some fresh pomegranite juice on your way down!) It's surrounded by restaurants and things to do. An ATM across the street and and a Taxi stand right in front.

We were upgraded to a sea view room and I was so delighted with our view over Istanbul. Simply beautiful. But even better then my view...the view from the rooftop bar. Worth every penny to have a drink up there at sunset.

The breakfast buffet was the best we had on our vacation. I am still dreaming about the Hazlenut butter they had that I spread all over my crossiant. Yum

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would 100% choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your neat comment.

We, certainly are proud of our location and our concept as The Marmara Pera Hotel.
It is a wonderful pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in İstanbul.

We would like to make our guests stays unique and comfortable in Istanbul and we would like to ensure they get best services and a great experiences with us.

Please contact us directly (bschwind@themarmarahotels.com) next time so we can make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Warm wishes from the entire The Marmara Pera Team.

Best Regards,