“Loved it!”

Ranked #37 of 1,200 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Sydney, Australia
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was one of the coolest hostels ive stayed in. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The upstairs terrace was so serene and had some great floor pillows to sit on or tables and chairs, argille, drinks and generally great company. There was a young vibe throughout the hostel and the pub crawl they put on, on a saturday night was great fun. Rooms were tidy and the bed curtains great for privacy. Bathroom was spacious and clean. Only negative would be the lack of air con in our room but you learn to deal with the heat everywhere in turkey.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mcwhy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

This is definitely a hostel for 20-something. It wasn't excessively raucous by any means, but there is a pub crawl on the weekends (so, yes, it caters to a younger crowd). I was very impressed with this hostel, probably because I myself am a young 20-something. The decor is great, and the bathrooms are wonderful. There were only 3 for a 14 bed room, however, and the bathrooms consisted of a toilet, shower, and sink, instead of the typical separate rooms for toilets, showers, etc. I actually prefer Bahaus' style of bathroom, but if all three were being used at once and you just have to use the toilet, I could see how this could be irritating. The Turkish bar guy/resident party animal Bahre (probable misspelling) is very friendly, and a touch scatter-brained (in the most charming way). If you're looking for a good time, talk to him.

• Stayed September 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I've stayed in a few hostels in the Istanbul area. If I go back again, I will definitely stay in this one. The staff were super-helpful, the terrace had awesome views and was a good place to relax, the 16 bed dorm room had three really decent bathrooms/showers located in the room and it was quiet. I got really good rest and had some decent conversations with folks half my age (oh well).

Breakfast on the terrace was also decent, tho not great.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time, this place fills up.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed twice at Bahaus on my way out and back to Antalya. I found the staff friendly and welcoming and I felt particularly well looked after as a woman traveller. The guesthouse/hostel was always clean and there were also staff about to chat, answer any questions and also play live music up in the bar. Food was basic but fine. The rooms were spacious with lockers to put your things. Great mix of people staying there and spent some time with them exploring Istanbul which is all easily accessible from the hostel. There is an option to be picked up from the airport which I found helpful while I found my Turkish feet and then I was happy to take a cab which is cheaper.
NB bring your own lock!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This hostel is in a great location in Sultanahmet and it is close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. I am sure there are better hostels in the area you could stay at. We booked the four person en-suite bathroom room through hostelworld.com and when we arrived they tried charging us a higher price per night for the room. They said just last week the price increased on hostelworld and it took some convincing for us to receive the price we were originally quoted. They don't take credit cards and when we paid in cash they quoted the price from the exchange rate on the website (better for them, not us) instead of the current rate. Also, they don't have laundry facilities and we tried finding a laundry service in the area the staff wasn't helpful in helping us find a place to do laundry. The private en-suite bathroom wasn't private until we had to ask for a key from the staff. Before that people kept coming in our bathroom, taking showers and clogging up the toilet. The bar upstairs doesn't have change and the bartender credited us 5 Lira and said he would give it back that night. We kept asking and he never gave us our change back.

Overall, I would recommend finding a different place to stay. The staff were just a bunch of young guys that don't really know how to run a business.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TK H
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I only stayed for one night, but it was a great night. The staff were very helpful and engaging. The rooms and bed were very clean and comfortable and the curtain along the beds adds privacy which is great. The 4 bed dorm was a little small but having an ensuite in the room was convenient. The shower was awesome. The location was fab and only a short walk to all the major sights Istanbul has to offer. Overall, a great hostel and I would highly recommend it

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Stayed at the Bahaus for a few days over New Years. This was my very first hostel experience and I did not know what to expect, and honestly I was scared before we got there. But I survived and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! The rooms very spacious, bathrooms pretty clean, and staff very nice! We got to meet some amazing people. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room (which you really shouldn't when you are in Istanbul) then this is a good spot, just lower your standards a bit and you will be just fine! The location was perfect, and it felt safe.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends