“Simply Goosebumps”

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Simply Goosebumps”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

In my opinion one of the best bars/ clubs I have ever seen worldwide. The rooftop is incredible. Great people, cool music and a stunning view make this venue my favourite place for club night in Istanbul.

Only downside... the bouncers! Difficult to get in. Not sure what they are after.

Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Visit museum and hotel”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The Pera Museum had excellent exhibitions when we visited in March 2012. The museum is over five floors and I suggest that you take the elevator to the top and walk your way down. Each floor has its own theme and the layout is good and the information is also in English.After a visit to the museum you can walk across the road to the famous Pera Palas Hotel and enjoy a traditional British tea in an magnificent setting. From Istiklal street turn into Mesrutiyet Caddasi and the museum is at number 65. Walking down from Taksim Square you will turn right into Mesrutiyet and coming from Tunel you will turn left. Really a lovely experience to visit both these places.

Visited March 2012
Barcelona, Spain
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Good music but something was missed”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

God damn man everybody is on a catwalk. Everything is a mating dance or a photo shoot or both combined in a weird sexi way. Thats Nu Pera. Boys go fishin, girls go to be fishies. Its a big enough place and they have different rooms but boy the atrium (the main one) is like sardines brining in loud music and lots of perfume. You cant really move in there, you cannot hear the thoughts in your head. I get it, thats maybe the idea. Its tough to get drinks coming like that though. I like the terrace up top in the summer. But... to adapt an old saying :) for every nice cool place, theres someone who got tired of attending it. Did I get that right? Something to that effect.

Visited January 2012
5 Thank dianazi
Lexington, VA
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Pera Museum”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Excellent art exhibits, well documented, and we were grateful signs were in English.

Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“If it wasn't for the view...”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

...there wouldn't be a reason to bother going.

Also, I would have listed this 'attraction' under restaurants as most of the space is devoted to Nu Teras, the primary eatery and majority of the Nu Pera floor, but this seemed to be the only listing.

It's a great view, that's true, though even that is somewhat marred by an overlooking neon display that just keeps flashing/scrolling dates (?) and the only visuals on the few walls in the place are giant Absolut adverts.

The look of the place is (mostly) gorgeous and sitting at the bar gives you the best view. That's the nicest thing I can say.

The service was awful. The waiters were dismissive, uninterested and downright rude in some cases. Being from both London and NYC, I get the urban aloofness that some hot spots are sometimes proud of, but this was different. We felt so rushed through our meal, you could just feel that they wanted us out. And this was not to turn a table over, the place was practically empty save for two large birthday parties and a few scattered couples.

We ordered cocktails first, thinking we would have a relaxed drink while looking at the menu, taking in the place. We were pretty much bullied into ordering *before* they would even bring us the cocktails we'd been waiting for - almost as if the drinks were being held hostage until we ordered our food.

When the drinks finally arrived (after more delay), so did the entrés/appetisers AT HE SAME TIME , so the point of a leisurely cocktail had been defeated.

The drinks themselves were poor to disgusting. Mine was meant to be a fruity blended drink with mango and other fruits (and vodka) but showed up as something that tasted like lime juice and ice (and I am certain there was no alcohol in the drink either). When I tried to send the drink back I was ignored and finally had to put it on an adjacent table in order to eat.

The mains were brought over while we still were eating out appetisers, and my companion had his plate taken away while he still had his fork in his mouth. They were deaf to our protests and just (again) ignored us.

They didn't take our wine order (despite asking about 5 times) until we were delivered our mains and when we asked about the wines (i.e. which was very dry, good with fish etc.) we were met with blank stares and were pointed only to the most expensive wine on the menu with no question asked or descriptions given (as the ones on the menu were in Turkish and too complicated for us to translate).

The dishes themselves were miniscule. I had the scallops of which there were two extremely small ones. It seems no one told this place that the microscopic nouvelle cuisine of the 80s was no longer seen as chic or clever, especially at the prices they charged.

There was nothing extraordinary about the food given the cost, in fact the meats were rubbery, sides were overly salty. And forget trying to get a water glass refilled, you'd think you were asking for a floor show and inconveniencing them.

All this despite at least 1/2 dozen waiters standing around doing nothing.

Trying to pay was a disaster, the waiter was being difficult with my American companion as he (the waiter) didn't know how to use their own credit card machine with an Amex.

Needless to say, no gratuity was left.

After all the hype we'd heard and 'exclusivity' of the place, it was the biggest let down of an otherwise perfect trip.

Visited July 2011