“Good Room, Good Location, Bad Service”
Review of Lavanta Hotel

Lavanta Hotel
Ranked #505 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Good room, good location, bad service, shady business practices, good internet, good breakfast.

The service at the hotel is terrible. The receptionist was downright rude (especially when he found out I was an American), and refused to accept credit card payment, while also refusing to accept anything but exact payment in Euros (not liras, not dollars, no change). He actually cancelled the credit card payment I made when I booked the room online, so he could charge me cash. Shady business practices in my view, which takes what would otherwise be a four down to a three. Also, there was no secure location to store luggage, and given the receptionist's lack of care/commitment, I did not feel safe leaving valuables at the hotel.

But the services that the hotel provide are actually pretty good. The room was clean and not particularly small, it was ready early, and everything in it worked well (especially the shower). The internet worked well, and breakfast was pretty good. The location is solid, too -- right near Taksim Square, just of Istiklal street. It's close enough to everything to make visiting easy, while far enough away to be quiet. I might stay here again if I couldn't find better, but there are plenty of comparably priced hotels in Taksim/Sultanahmet that are more reliable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. First and foremost, i can assure you that our employees love meeting and interacting people with from different cultures and backgrounds. Therefore I believe this must be a misunderstanding. Unfortunately technology sometimes doesn't cooperate as much as we would like it to, therefore your payment could not be made via our POS machine that day. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our property has 24 h surveillance and I can assure you that there was absolutely no need to be concerned about luggage storage. I firmly believe that these misunderstandings were very much due to a language barrier.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We Would like to spend good moments in Istanbul discover the city, museum, mosquee, center, asian side so we choose LAVANTA hotel for 7 nights hollidays. Very bad experience. WE have been stolen for 150€uros in total. Fist day I see 50€uros missed from my wallet. Day after 50€uros again & my friend saw also that 50€uros left from her bag. We warm the reception & they ensured that they Will Check with the manager. During this check 4 persons (manager, house keeper, reception, hotel owner) saw the thief (house keeper named jacup) enterred in our room while we took breakfast in the restaurant of hôtel. They apologize and ensure that WE Will get back our money. Day after, WE have not received any news from management of hôtel. Two days after seing jacup enter in our room, nothing has been done. The house keeper jacup still work in the hôtel. After several clamings hotel owner came in the hôtel with 3 persons for intimidation as we said that we will go to police. WE went to police and they asked for legal transletor which cost 100$. The journey in the hotel was a nightmare. Lack of transparency, honnesty & professionalism. They told us that they Will give us back the money & they never respect their words. They said that WE could use the safe in the room. But they see the house keeper jacup entered in the room & they said first they Will give us back the money as he lied to them because he said he never have been in the room during breakfast Time. Morover hôtel bathroom doesn't walk due the canalisation issue. WE have changed 3 rooms during a journey of 7days. WE strongly don't recommend you this hôtel due to lack of professionalism. Best regards

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Kaderfall2005
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

All of our rooms are equipped with safe boxes which can be used free of charge. Management is not responsible for lost or stolen items.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Delicious buffet breakfast (everything from fresh cheese to Turkish cookies), rain shower (RAIN SHOWER!), crisp sheets and fluffy pillows in a location that can't be beat - 5 minutes walk from Taksim Square (easy to get to/from airport), 2 minutes from İstiklal Avenue (Istanbul's main shopping street), and artsy Cihangir district an easy stroll. I arrived from a long day of travel and transit, and the welcome was warm and helpful - courteous and genuinely friendly English-speaking staff on morning and evening shifts were happy to help me locate a hard-to-find travel agency and look after my bags after check-out. My room was very compact but extremely well designed to make the most of space. It felt like a much, much fancier hotel than what I was paying for. Lively area with cafes and restaurants on the street below, but you'll be at the heart of the action.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Wellingtonista
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much, i am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! All the best and take care,
Madlen

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The location of.the hotel is amazing.it's about.100 meters from istiklal street. If you are going.for shopping on a budget it's really nice hotel. If we are talking about the staff they are simply amazing and helpful.the rooms are clean. The negative things is that the rooms are so small and there's no lobby in the hotel. About the breakfast I didn't try it because I don't like the turkish food. When leaving the hotel I forgot my glacess when I mail the hotel I was surprised that they kept them for me. In general the hotel is very good

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us it was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

....where I spent 5 nights .. & have little if anything negative to say about the experience. If there's anything to criticise it might be the size of the room (I was alone in a double room) & the en suite but I suspect almost any boutique hotel in Istanbul will be a little 'compact'. Otherwise, the effort to be pleasant & accomodating was very obvious throughout, Madlen is a really lovely & very helpful host, from booking through to checking out. Buffet style breakfast - included in the price - was very good with a variety which surely has something for everyone's taste. My room was cleaned every day without my requesting it, everything is clean, the bed was really nice to sleep in, everything works!
In short Lavanta is great value for your €$£'s, & as of my time there, had a 'family-run' feel to it (don't know if it is) in the most positive sense of the term, the staff are friendly & seem very genuine in their helpful treatment of all my requests.
I would not only stay here again without hesitation but would recommend you do too.
For anyone who doesn't know the city - & I certainly didn't prior to this trip - Beyoglu is as described, furious & theming, but don't let that dissuade you, it all happens calmly somehow, & the end of Istiklal which is opposite to the Taxim Sq. end was for me at least, far more interesting & worth your time.. when you're not over in Sultanahmet or elsewhere..
I loved Istanbul & that was in no small part due to having my too-short base at the Lavanta. Thank you Madlen & your staff ! To your continued success - James/

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

James it was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest. And yes, we are a family run hotel! We take a lot of pride in that. Thank you for all of your kind feedback. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.

All the best,
Madlen

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have never written a review about a hotel before but I never found one with such great value so I had to register and review. That's the least I can do for a hotel that made my stay so memorable and had such outstanding service. The location was terrific, the hospitality was like staying at your friends place warm and welcoming. Besides that the rooms are modern, clean and stylish. If I could give them more than 5 points, I would. Thank you for everything Lavanta Team, I hope to be back soon!

Viola

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Viola L
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Viola I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and want to thank you for all of your kind words. They are very much appreciated! All the best, Madlen

Reviewed 5 March 2014

First and foremost, I was impressed with this place. I wasn't expecting to find such a great deal on short notice. I booked directly through the hotel website after my friend recommended this place, and it was definitely worth it. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there, and even more impressed at breakfast. Sacks of lavender, treats on your bed, and the sweetest staff. This hotel was extremely affordable, and right in the middle of Taksim. I will recommend this place to my friends for sure. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Isabeljetster
Madlen B, Owner at Lavanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Isabel, thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It was a pleasure having you as our guest!