“Was nice…until it wasn't. ”
Review of Hotel Mosaic

Hotel Mosaic
Ranked #522 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights at the beginning of our trip and two at the end.

Pros:
Decently appointed rooms
Nice breakfast spread, especially the gozleme
Great location. Half hour walk or less to all the best sites.
They will hold your luggage.
Nicest bathrooms of our trip.
Connected restaurant was average, but acceptable.
Pool/spa area was great, save for the slight stale cigarette aroma. Don't skip it! No kiddie pool, nice sauna, Turkish bath.

Cons:

Thin walls. First stay wasn't a problem, but second stay had a crying kid next door.

Smelly. No smoking room left my clothes smelling so bad that I opted to stay in the same outfit I'd been wearing for 30hrs.

Tiny elevators hold at most 4 people, sans bags.
Desk staff was lackluster. Asked if they could get me a box to ship some things home and was looked at like I had three heads. It was a simple request and they couldn't seem to comprehend why I was even asking.

Pool is free to guests noon-6pm, then there is a charge to use afterward, so you have to go during peak sightseeing times. Spa hot tub was really no warmer than the pool.

When we left, we specifically said we wanted a taxi to the airport. They kept saying we should take the hotel shuttle because a cab wouldn't fit our luggage (which fit just fine on the way there). We insisted, but they still loaded our bags into the hotel shuttle, which would have cost almost double the taxi fare. We ended up taking it, but told them we would only pay what we had left in lira, about $27US. I guess you can barter anything.

Hotel was unable to produce a corkscrew. No staff was to be found at hotel lounge area the directed us to.

We liked it well enough, but I've had better service at a Holiday Inn. I would have given another star had my clothes not made me want to vomit when i went to change in the airport. Smoke smell seemed to come through the bathroom ceiling vents, along with the noise from the next room.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mosaic

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My daughter and I were on a group bus tour and spent 2 nights here at the beginning of our trip and one night before we went to the airport for our trip home. The people at the front desk were courteous. They even changed some money for us. The breakfast room was very good. There were several hot selections including crepes and a cook who would cook eggs to order. My daughter loved the Mediterranean type breakfast of cheeses, olives and vegetables. Our rooms were fine except for a little mildew stain in the shower and a not so new tub mat. Everything else was comfortable. There was a nice little sidewalk cafe attached to the hotel. We had a lunch of soups and some spreads and bread. We were able to walk to many parts of Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at the Mosaic for several nights .. really nothing special, and many deficiencies. First, the rooms are the size of modest closets, and mine was a closet with a huge supporting post blocking half the room. Barely room to squeeze around the bed. For almost $200 a night, one should be at least comfortable. Second .. the neighborhood is surrounded by mediocre places to eat .. ok, taxis are not expensive in Istanbul, but every place within walking distance had the same menu, same pictures of the same dishes. I'm maybe too picky, but if you need to put a tiny blurry picture of your food on your menu, .. well. Third .. blaring music from a street cafe till almost midnight .. only way to get modest quiet in the room was to turn on the in-room a/c unit. Forth, barely working Internet, dropped out frequently, slow, annoying re-logging in every few hours. Fifth, yes they have a spa and exercise room -- but you will pay for use other than noon to 6pm -- and, really, when are you most likely to be out of your hotel? This is just cheap. I agree with other writers that the breakfast was ok .. but do you pick a hotel based on the breakfast? They will provide transfer from the airport on request -- a plus. My judgement -- for this money you can do better.

Room Tip: good luck. the room are tiny and cramped from what I could see.
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Good location. Decent size room. Great breakfast buffet with good choice. Don't miss the views from the roof terrace. Spa on lower ground very expensive for treatments and only free for hotel guests during limited hrs of the day. Check out nearby hamams and other hotels for better deals. Service at reception not overly friendly especially when we checked out! Would recommend styling here for location though.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from restaurant underneath as there Is live music playing every night :-)
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A solid 4... here's why:
GOOD: Mosaic has a convenient location and is walking distance to many sights. It's in a safe and clean area.It is modern and elegant with helpful porters and front desk, modern and clean rooms, the BEST breakfast buffet of all the hotels I stayed at in Turkey (about 10).
NOT GOOD: The twin beds are small, the on-site Daphne resto food was just okay and not very flavorful, the free on-site hamman has a cost after 6pm and comes with a services sales pitch, the walls are paper-thin and I heard babies crying, loud people in the halls etc so sleep can be disturbed, slow elevators, some rooms are just too tiny for comfort, needs working bathroom fans.

I first stayed in rm 401 - by the elevators, noisy (music from street and noise from hallways), and too tiny. They lost an extended booking from me because I didn't want to remain in such a small room for more than the 2 nights. I remember thinking that I just expected more from a hotel of 4*. Two people is too much for this small room.
I also stayed in rm 416 - much bigger, balcony, lots of space for bags, larger bathroom. I'll post photos of this room... I was too busy tripping over my bags in the other room to photograph that one. I would stay in this room again.
I stayed as part of a Gate 1 group.

My Tips:
* If your cabbie doesn't know the hotel, ask for the Zurich hotel (across the street, old, and very well known)
* Take the stairs to the roof to view sunrise or sunset over the near-by mosques
* Take a hotel business card with you.. if you need directions, cab or transit back to the hotel, you can show it to people and they will point you in the right direction.
* A walk to the Sulyemaniye & Şehzade mosques. Both worth the visit IMO... and free. Beside Şehzade is the Roman Valens aqua-duct ... a really good example of one!
* Pick a room away from the elevator to avoid late-night noise
* Try some of the local specialties at breakfast - like cheese Gozleme made by a local woman in a corner of the buffet
* Tram stop is about a 3-5 minute walk away - you need to buy tokens from a machine to access the platform. It will take you right to the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Aya (Hagia) Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Cistern, Hippodrome very easily and cheaply (3 lira). Often faster than cabs which are restricted by the traffic congestion, pedestrian zones and one-way streets.
* The best place to exchange money (from CND, USD or Euro) is in the currency exchanges you will find along the streets in Istanbul. Best rates I found in the whole country. If I knew I would have brought no lira with me and exchanged all my money here for much better rates that at home. They have clearly posted rates and the process is really easy.
* Many shops, restos etc accept USD, Euro as well as lira. However, you will not get best exchanges for your dollar paying this way.

Hope this helps you!

Room Tip: Avoid the tiny, European-sized rooms if you can - too small for two people plus luggage. Also avoid...
2  Thank 2-4-T
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel served as our home in Istanbul for 3 days at the beginning and two at the end of our tour of Turkey. It is in a busy area but our room (No 223) was quiet, the only noise coming from INSIDE the hotel and caused by inconsiderate guests. The room was a good size, and was equipped with more cupboard and drawer space than we experienced in most other hotels during our 15-day trip. The toilet was adequate in size, and the walk-in shower pretty well state-of-the art. A couple of minor irritations were: no way to fill the wash basin as the plug was missing; initially, there was only a lower sheet over the mattress in both single beds, so that there was nothing to separate my wife and I from the rather rough blanket above. The following night, they were changed to duvets and all was well.
One of the real pleasures of staying at this hotel was the range and quality of food provided at the buffet breakfast. We had mixed fortunes with the buffet dinners. Our first was very satisfactory, with a wide range of foods, both hot and cold, but the 2nd night was disappointing in that the choice of hot foods was sharply reduced. Moreover, for both breakfast and dinner, there did not seem to be any way of keeping the hot food hot. On our next night, we went instead to the Daphne Restaurant that can be entered from the hotel lobby as well as from the street independently. A 10% discount is provided to hotel guests and we enjoyed a very satisfactory fish meal. The facilities include an indoor pool in the basement that we did not have time to visit, and at the other end of the spectrum a roof-top bar and café. The hotel is not far from major tramway and bus routes, and in any case, taxis are very affordable at present. Good value by current Turkish standards.

1  Thank davidgoldberg1
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was the first and last hotel of our guided tour trip and this Hotel's front desk staff were exceptionally friendly and very accomodating. The hotel room was rather small and AC was hit and miss and the beds were not the most comfy but overall a decent stay and price in a great location. The elevators were extroardinarily slow here.. for whatever reason. Take the stairs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends