“Adequate...”
Review of Hotel Mosaic

Hotel Mosaic
Ranked #509 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here as part of a Gate 1 tour and I would definitely agree with the other reviewers here on a few points:

1) Make sure you tell your taxi driver "Hotel Zurich" (literally across the street) because NO ONE knows where Hotel Mosaic is.

2) Personally, I suggest that you don't let the hotel get a taxi for you; there are a lot of taxis that pass the front of the hotel so just get one yourself and negotiate the price before you get in (you can do some research online to get an idea of what your trip would cost) or ask the driver to turn the meter on (but they still might take you for a roundabout ride). We took a taxi they got for us the first time and literally ended up paying twice what it should've been worth (found out on the return trip). It happened a second time, but I said no and asked two more drivers who came by and took the third driver and ended up paying half what the first one quoted. FYI: trip from Galata tower to hotel during no traffic was 10TL.

3) Actually, instead of taking the taxi, I highly recommend taking the tram. SUPER easy and way cheaper than a taxi unless you have more than three people. It requires only minimal walking from the nearest stop.

4) The room sizes vary greatly. At the beginning of our tour, we were assigned a pretty good size room but at the end we ended up in literally a shoebox. There was not enough room for baggage and about a foot at the end of the bed to get by.

5) As someone mentioned earlier, this hotel gave off the spirit of "we're doing you the favor by letting you stay here". Hands down the unfriendliest hotel I've stayed in recent history, but don't fret: we've had some phenomenal experiences at other Turkey hotels...

Conclusion: at best an average hotel. I'd definitely go somewhere else like we did after our tour finished. You can get much better quality and experience at comparable prices. We moved to a highly Tripadvisor rated hotel and loved it! (and VERY reasonably priced as well)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mystique777

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed with friend prior to Gate 1 Tour and one night at return night at end of trip. Staff arranged for us to stay in same room, so we did not have to change. Since it was holiday time in Turkey, hotel filled with many visitors. Late night partying continued passed 2:00am......hotel staff came to rooms and asked for occupants to be quiet. Stopped for awhile and than continued again - seem group had several rooms on same floor and occupants kept going between them.

Taxi driver from airport was not able to locate hotel easily - stopped cabs and asked, kept phoning ( not sure if it was to hotel or not asking for directions) Cost 50L Other guests had similar experiences.

Desk staff often had limited English - asking for directions was a hassle.

Roof top restaurant/bar was closed.

Breakfasts were good...........decent selection. Individual omelets available.
Tour dinner at end of trip held at hotel restaurant. Excellent food and presentations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel scores well for location, an easily walkable urban area.

The lobby and reception area are well appointed.

However, the hallways to your room are dark. The lights have motion sensors, but turn off very fast, so get your door open quickly.

The rooms aren't much. Although attractive looking, there's barely room to move. I can't imagine two people sharing one of these. The bed is against the wall, under the window. There is one night table and a desk and chair. No place for your luggage.

Bathroom is small but serviceable. Stall shower only.

I had a room facing an indoor shaft. All night long noise from the other rooms, including one person who's cellphone rang incessantly and talked very loudly on speakerphone.

Elevators are small, slow and hold about five people without baggage.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are likely quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GWMtravels
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was part of a Gate 1 tour so we stayed at this property for two nights at the beginning of the trip and one night at the end.

Originally I was given room 112, which had a double bed, but the drain in the shower smelled like a sewer. Then I was changed to room 324, with two single beds, but the shower had mildew around the grout. The reception desk - not very friendly. I would have given this review a terrible rating except for it's great location.

The rooms are very noisy. I could hear the people in the next room. The guests can only use the spa between 12-6. After that, there is a charge. If you're on a tour, those hours are ridiculous. Elevators are very slow. I used the stairs for my entire stay.

This hotel needs a major face lift.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights at the beginning of our trip and two at the end.

Pros:
Decently appointed rooms
Nice breakfast spread, especially the gozleme
Great location. Half hour walk or less to all the best sites.
They will hold your luggage.
Nicest bathrooms of our trip.
Connected restaurant was average, but acceptable.
Pool/spa area was great, save for the slight stale cigarette aroma. Don't skip it! No kiddie pool, nice sauna, Turkish bath.

Cons:

Thin walls. First stay wasn't a problem, but second stay had a crying kid next door.

Smelly. No smoking room left my clothes smelling so bad that I opted to stay in the same outfit I'd been wearing for 30hrs.

Tiny elevators hold at most 4 people, sans bags.
Desk staff was lackluster. Asked if they could get me a box to ship some things home and was looked at like I had three heads. It was a simple request and they couldn't seem to comprehend why I was even asking.

Pool is free to guests noon-6pm, then there is a charge to use afterward, so you have to go during peak sightseeing times. Spa hot tub was really no warmer than the pool.

When we left, we specifically said we wanted a taxi to the airport. They kept saying we should take the hotel shuttle because a cab wouldn't fit our luggage (which fit just fine on the way there). We insisted, but they still loaded our bags into the hotel shuttle, which would have cost almost double the taxi fare. We ended up taking it, but told them we would only pay what we had left in lira, about $27US. I guess you can barter anything.

Hotel was unable to produce a corkscrew. No staff was to be found at hotel lounge area the directed us to.

We liked it well enough, but I've had better service at a Holiday Inn. I would have given another star had my clothes not made me want to vomit when i went to change in the airport. Smoke smell seemed to come through the bathroom ceiling vents, along with the noise from the next room.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel B
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My daughter and I were on a group bus tour and spent 2 nights here at the beginning of our trip and one night before we went to the airport for our trip home. The people at the front desk were courteous. They even changed some money for us. The breakfast room was very good. There were several hot selections including crepes and a cook who would cook eggs to order. My daughter loved the Mediterranean type breakfast of cheeses, olives and vegetables. Our rooms were fine except for a little mildew stain in the shower and a not so new tub mat. Everything else was comfortable. There was a nice little sidewalk cafe attached to the hotel. We had a lunch of soups and some spreads and bread. We were able to walk to many parts of Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at the Mosaic for several nights .. really nothing special, and many deficiencies. First, the rooms are the size of modest closets, and mine was a closet with a huge supporting post blocking half the room. Barely room to squeeze around the bed. For almost $200 a night, one should be at least comfortable. Second .. the neighborhood is surrounded by mediocre places to eat .. ok, taxis are not expensive in Istanbul, but every place within walking distance had the same menu, same pictures of the same dishes. I'm maybe too picky, but if you need to put a tiny blurry picture of your food on your menu, .. well. Third .. blaring music from a street cafe till almost midnight .. only way to get modest quiet in the room was to turn on the in-room a/c unit. Forth, barely working Internet, dropped out frequently, slow, annoying re-logging in every few hours. Fifth, yes they have a spa and exercise room -- but you will pay for use other than noon to 6pm -- and, really, when are you most likely to be out of your hotel? This is just cheap. I agree with other writers that the breakfast was ok .. but do you pick a hotel based on the breakfast? They will provide transfer from the airport on request -- a plus. My judgement -- for this money you can do better.

Room Tip: good luck. the room are tiny and cramped from what I could see.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple