“Asad and family”
Review of Gul Sultan Hotel

Gul Sultan Hotel
Ranked #226 of 1,161 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have just arrived from spending almost two weeks at Gul - Sultan Hotel Istanbul.
The hotel has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, located towards the end of a lively and inviting street. We found the neighbouring restaurant both convenient and most welcoming throughout our stay, which was an added bonus. The location is faultless; close to all the main attractions and the tram station about a five minute walk. We always enjoyed the strolls around the Blue mosque, café's and local bazaars in the evenings, taking in all the magic. The coastal road is also very close, which a has a spacious foot path for walkers, joggers and cyclists, with plenty of seats to view the Asian coast line. All the staff are courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. The rooms were spotless, breakfasts ample and always served with a smile. A really great time had by all, a most memorable stay. I would not hesitate to call in again.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, you might want to choose a room that does not overlook the main street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Gul Sultan Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2013

7 Nights at Gul Sultan Hotel are extremely unforgettable, you feel better than your home and you wish to say 70 nights and even 700 nights. Mr. Hamit & Mr. Abdullah at the reception were very helpful and welcoming people with their nice smile. Miss. Helmiyah with her fantastic breakfast will force you to eat even you are fasting. The hotel is very clean and it's location at Akbiyik street creates the relaxation everybody is looking for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed at Gul Sultan Otel for 6 days in July 2013. the price for such location surprised me a lot - the Otel is just in 5-6 minutes of walk to Sultan Ahmet and Aya Sofya, Topkapi, Yerebatan Sarnaci, and Sultan Ahmet tram station (that's +). The owner and manager of Otel Mr. Hamit Chelik arranged all booking, transfer issues by one call phone.The room we stayed was cute and simple as we need in fact, the room-cleaning was everyday and excellent. When we need to get the unknown Bayazit place the receptionist Abdulla kindly accompanied us there. Ms. Himliye who was so busy by mornings to prepare breakfast (I liked the range of choice for breakfast, the quality, freshness, taste - even I'm caprice for meals) was very cute and despite her work answered to our questions even gave me the receipts for turkish meals I liked. Just be prepared for noisy nights due to numerous bars and cafes along the Akbiyik str (BUT the noise-proofing was excellent - I slept as baby). So, I just highly reccomend GulSultan if u need stay for good price, wonderful personnel, clean rooms and perfect location.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows opposite Akbiyik str. have less noise" (my personal opinion - one can check...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ShebnemGambarova
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Last April, finding a hotel room in Istanbul was next to impossible. Luckily, I found a room at Gul Sultan. The owner, Mr.Celik, being honest, informed me that the only room left had its window blocked. As I was on business, it didn't matter. The window still had some space at the top to let air in. The room had basic amenities and was clean. As usual, the bathroom was spotless. This was my second stay. Breakfast, on top floor with view of Ottoman mosques, was basic, but with a new personalized touch:There was a lovely lady who cooked my omlette fresh on the spot. Smart, I say. Hotel is central in Sultanahmet and a hop up to Topkapi Sarayi.

Room Tip: Hotel owner is honest and will help to get you best room available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed at the Gül Sultan Hotel for 6 nights at the beginning of June 2013. The location of the hotel, just a few steps away from the most attractive sights of Istanbul, is simply perfect. Much attention is given to cleanliness of rooms and the hotel in general. Fresh fruit, cheese, olives, french toast or omlettes etc., etc., were offered for breakfast on the top floor of the hotel. Staff members - from the gentleman at the front desk to the lady in the breakfast room - were very friendly and helpful. Therefore: I look forward to returning to the Gül Sultan Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This being my first time in Istanbul, I wasn't sure what a hotel experience would be like. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the service and quality I received at Gül Sultan Hotel!

I visited Istanbul with a couple friends, and we were welcomed at the hotel by Hamit, our always-smiling host. He helped us with our luggage and showed us to our room - the standard triple. The room was spotless and had enough bedding for the three of us (one full size bed and one twin size bed). The bathroom was very clean and well-supplied with soap, shampoo, and several towels. There were two windows that opened to the streets below, providing a great view of the shops/cafes below. Of particular importance, the windows/walls were well-insulated; once closed, noise from outside sounded like it was far away.

Breakfast is provided on the top floor of the hotel and consists of many items popular for kahvaltı (Turkish breakfast): honey, tomatoes, cucumbers, bread, menemen, French toast, boiled eggs, fruits (figs, apricots, watermelon, etc.), olives, and cheeses. You can even take your food to the very top of the hotel and sit at a table overlooking the sea - it's a fantastic view and a MUST if you stay here!

Gül Sultan is located in a great spot in Sultanahmet - it is easy to walk to many of the main tourist attractions in Istanbul, including Ayasofya (Hagia Sofia), the Blue Mosque, Topkapı Palace, the Grand Bazaar, the Egyptian Spice Bazaar, the Basilica Cistern, and many other shops/cafes/restaurants/stores/etc. We walked everywhere from the hotel, from Istanbul University to Eminonu to Taksim Square, and even to the ferries to get to the Asian side of Istanbul. Gül Sultan was a great choice in terms of location; we couldn't have chosen a better spot.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Istanbul! Hamit is a great host and is very helpful; you'll feel welcome and comfortable from the moment you step into the hotel, and if you experience any problems, I'm sure Hamit will take care of you right away.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with three people, get the standard triple room, and see if you can get it o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Highly recommended. Excellent location, few minutes walk to most of the monuments and main attractions, surrounded by nice restaurants, the room is very clean, daily room service, The roof top terrace was really beautiful, with an amazing view and tasty breakfast, the staff, Hamit, Azad and Helmia are just amazing, extremely friendly and helpful, they make you feel at home and part of a family. I was really sad to leave but I will surely come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family