“Lovely hotel, great staff and a wonderful garden.”

Garden House Istanbul
Ranked #51 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“Lovely hotel, great staff and a wonderful garden.”
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We chose Garden House on the basis of the reviews, photos, location and air conditioning. The service we received was amazing. The staff were unfailingly helpful, serving tea, fruit and biscuits all day. Breakfast is wonderful, with omelettes cooked to order if required. The air conditioning works quickly and effectively and the daily water supply was a thoughtful extra. Our allocated room was on the fifth floor, which we found to be too much for our legs after a day's sightseeing, so they offered us a choice of rooms on the ground floor.
Best thing: the garden, sitting in the cool shade of the walnut trees during a hot Istanbul afternoon.
Tip: book the airport pick-up. It took us a while to find the hotel in the Byzantine maze of streets.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 12 July 2009

A perfect location for lovers of the genuine flavours of Istanbul´s most impressive sites.
Short walking distance to what you surely want to see in this gorgeous city.

Beautiful hotel, with the best staff ! Nice rooms, great breakfast, excellent service all day long, and a charming patio where to enjoy a calm breakout after an exciting day. All the hotel personnel will always be at your friendly service to provide very helpful advise during your stay.

Don´t miss visitting Little Agya Sophia, a true architectural gem just two blocks down the hotel lobby.

Pablo Huberman
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Toronto
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I have stayed in lot of hotels including your Hyatt’s, your Marriot’s and your Four Seasons but I have never seen service like this. The staff will bend over backwards and then some to make you happy, but more about them later.

As for the hotel itself, it’s a quiet little gem on a hidden side street that is five minutes’ walk from Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque and other major tourist sites. The neighbourhood may look a bit dodgy but don’t let that put you off. My wife and I walked around after dark and never encountered any kind of trouble. In fact, we only met the nicest people, including Morat, the gregarious waiter at Cesme Restaurant just down the street who will throw in free Turkish language lessons with any dinner order.

The rooms are decent size and are exceptionally clean with comfortable mattresses. The only down side was that there is no elevator and our room was on the fourth floor. But, I shouldn’t complain as I need the exercise.

Another nice feature of the hotel is the patio/restaurant in the back courtyard which offers free snacks, coffee and non-alcoholic drinks for the guests anytime they want. Of course, you can order a full meal as well if that is what you wish. Breakfast is a decent affair, but if you are expecting an American style Denny’s breakfast then you better check in to the Holiday Inn as this breakfast offers fruit, boiled egg, bread, etc, etc.

And as I mentioned before, the service here was unbelievable with a staff that always smiles, has a good word and will do just about anything to make their guests happy. I also have a word of thanks to give to the day manager since I had a minor medical emergency and he ensured that I was taken to private hospital and looked after.

Further, they will make sure you will get to see all you want to see. My wife was a bit wary at first about all the brochures she was handed but in the end was quite pleased with the management’s suggestions for which tour groups were the most appropriate for the amount of time she had. If you find yourself in the same boat, listen to these guys. They are not trying to rip you off, they actually care about you getting the most out of your time in Istanbul.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We spent a week at the hotel in June. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and the AC was great when the temp was 29 - 31 degs C. Room was well decorated with TV and mini bar and bath/shower room. There was no lift so 5th floor was a bit difficult. The hotel sits with a number of similar sized hotels (approx 20 rooms). It takes only 5 - 10 mins to walk to the Blue Mosque and other attractions. I would recommend this small hotel and would stay there again if visiting.

Mr A. Martin

Florence, Italy
Reviewed 9 July 2009

A group of friends (some of them couples) and I visited Istambul in June 2009, just for a night because we were travelling somewhere else, and I my choice was Garden House Istanbul. We got and offer when booking so it was affordable.

I was positively surprised. At a first glance, the hotel was just a cozy place close to the Blue Mosquee (5 min walking distance), in the sultanamet area. Once the day advanced, we discovered fantastic points of this hotel:
- We arrived without taking breakfast, and there was for free (and 24h), a lot of fruits, cakes, juices and coffee, in the internal garden. The fruit was delicious. A breakfast exists as well, with natural orange juices and more cakes...
- The room was very convenient in its size and very clean. The furniture was brand new and very stylish. The bed was very very confortable. You can book rooms for three people as well (as we needed). The toilet/bathroom is very clean as well, with stuff for taking a bath. I was not in the top rooms, but apparently there are fantastic views.
- The hotel staff was very polite. They all speak english so you can communicate without any projblem with them. They were very useful. They helped us in the addresses we needed and in booking tables in some great restaurant with the most impressive views I ever has while taking dinner. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name, but there was a man who was extremely nice and active/efficient in the reception.
- There is free internet access (with their computers) in case you need to do the chech-in on line.

I seriously recommend this hotel. I will book a room there when I will come back to Istanbul with my girlfriend.

I hope it was useful.

All the best for you travellers!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2009

My niece and I spent five days at Garden House and found the staff to be fabulous, the room nicely sized -- especially to accommodate all our shopping bags. But most of all, we appreciated the air conditioning after spending two hot nights in Cappadocia. Breakfast is plentiful and delicious. Perfect location near all the historic sights

• Stayed June 2009
New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We are a group of people traveling to Turkey. We are in the coast now. Istanbul was our first stop in this country. We loved Istanbul very much, this is an amazing city where full of different culturels. We found Garden House hotel perfect in all. The rooms, little patio, location of hotel and of course staff of hotel. They all were very helpful with smilling faces. One special thank to Bulent, Amrullah, Selcek. The girl who serves breakfast I do not remember her name maybe Corina she was the most helpful stay in the hotel.

I hope we'll have chance to come back istanbul and we'll stay at Garden House diffinetely.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends