“Warm welcome, kind assistance and good company.”
Review of Hotel Ipek Palas

Hotel Ipek Palas
Ranked #508 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome, kind assistance and good company.”
Reviewed 23 March 2011

A special thanks to Ulas and Ramzan for making us feel well looked after and spoilt. Very good advice and good company throughout stay. WIll be recommending you guys to all our friends and acquaintances. Keep up the good work.

Abdul Rakib

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
ipekpalashotel, General Manager at Hotel Ipek Palas, responded to this review, 23 April 2011
dear guest,
thank you for staying with us and for your kind review. we are looking forward to wellcome you once again at next visits to istanbul.
best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in March 2011. The hotel is in a perfect location for all the sights 15 minute max walk to all the popular sights. We certainly could not fault the staff they were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room was large bright and very clean and the breakfast was plentiful. We booked a cheap short break so we weren't expecting to stay in one of those lovely rooms that you see on the hotels website our twin room was exceptionally small and a little dowdy and smelt of stale cigarette smoke although the beds we comfortable and clean and the en-suite adequate with a good powerful hot shower. Strangely there were no tea and coffee making facility in the room but every day at 5pm free tea, coffee and cakes were served in the foyer.
All in all we felt that we had good value and would certainly stay there again albeit in one of better rooms!!!!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Tallyho88
London
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Just arrived back from an amazing week in Istanbul. I stayed at the Ipek Palas as it was super cheap on lastminute. For what I payed I have to say I was totally blown away with this hotel.

Hotel - Listed as a 4* and I'd say this is probably a 3* in the UK. It is nicely decorated, in turkish style so lots of gold! The hotel is mid sized, I think it has about 100 rooms so it never feels overcrowded. It only has 1 lift but you never have to wait that long for it.

My Room - I booked an economy double room. It was basic but had a decent enough bed, TV, desk, safe and clean linen every day. The room is pretty small but you don't come to Istanbul to stay in your room! Bathroom had a decent shower with comp toiletries but no bath. Like I said its not glamorous but you really can't complain for £20 a night.

*My friend booked the same room as me but arrived a day earlier and I guess they had run out of economy rooms so he got a suite for the same price. Much bigger room and fancy interrior design and a chaise lounge too!

The only downside to my room was a lack of a kettle but again in the end I didn't really need it as everywhere sells lovely fresh tea

Staff - Being from London its really refreshing to meet such nice people each day. Every time I went to reception they were smiling and went out of their way to help me. The breakfast staff were really nice too and welcomed you every morning and my housekeeper tidyed my room up every day no matter what state I had left it! I think it comes from the way Turkish people are, such lovely warm people, but I cannot stress how much I was impressed by all the staff at this hotel

Location - spot on - The hotel is right in the centre of the Old city within minutes of Sirkeci Tram stop, Sulthanamet and the ferry terminals. Perfect for travellers who like a central hotel, just off the main drag, which allows you the opportunity to walk to all the main sites within minutes and hop on a ferry if you want some peace and quiet too. PLUS if you want to get to and from the airport easily and very cheaply then this place is great as its an easy stroll with your case from Sirkeci and teh total cost for your Airport transfer will be about £2. Finally, if you go out late either in Taksim (nightlife area) or further afield Sirkeci is a good place to be as its easy to pronounceso your taxi driver will find it easily,.

Breakfast - This was very impressive too. The breakfast spread was a mix of cold turkish meats, cheeses, various hot dishes and then your usual unlimited supply of continental cereals and breads. All lovely and fresh and you can eat as much as you like, which you'll need if like me you want to wander all day long aroundt his amazing city.

Overall - Its been years since I've stayed in such a good hotel for so little money. When I come back to Istanbul this is one hotel I would stay in again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank blobalbob
oxford
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We had a fabulous experience at the Ipek Palas hotel in Istanbul the staff in particular the reception staff Ulas was extremely helpful always smiling and always ready to assist on any question we had. Ulas spoke english very well which was incredibly helpful for us as our first language is english. The hotel is in a wounderful location very close to all major attractions within walking distance. Definately advisable to visit. Great City. Great People. Great Food. Amazing Culture.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I stayed at Hotel Ipek Palas in Istanbul for a city break 25th Feb - 28th Feb 2011.
After reading reviews i was sure that this was a very good choice, i was most defeinately pleased and enjoyed my stay there. TYhe hotel staff are kind and at your assistance 24 hours a day. The Hotel itself is clean, modern and within easy reach to all the local amenities and sights which i went to see. reception staff are helpful with information about the local shops and tram/rail services. The waiters and waitresses provided a second to none service. Overall i would be going back to Istanbul in the summer and will surely be staying at Hotel Ipek Palas..Thank You to all the staff for making my city break that little more special.:)))))

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We booked to a family holdiay of 3 ppl for 3 nights. The decor of the hotel is beautiful and apparently it has undergone a total refurb. However the finishing needs to be completed.

We had one single wardrobe (enough to hold our coats) to share and when we raised this with the staff they were dissmisive and unhelpful, we lived out of our suitcases throughout our stay!

The rooms were very small and cramped, the bathroom door lock didnt work and the door kept shutting with the wind (we couldnt even close the bathroom window), leaving us unable to use the bathroom. The view out of the room was terrible, we had a view of a brick wall on one side and a view of rubble from construction on the otherside, the heating was tempremental, and there was a lot of noise from garbage trucks, screaming tourists...... I agree with soem of the comments by other travellers who had similar problems, arrogant staff, sheet not changed, no pillows....

The reception staff are all out to make money from tourists, i read guide books before i came so had an idea about transport. when i asked the reception where to get the ferry from to go to a town he said it didnt go there and i needed a taxi! i showed him the map and the ferry line which went there and he said no, it doesnt and wanted to know how many people were going, whilst reaching for the phone to order a taxi! i told him not to bother. At the en we went to the port and was told where to get the ferry (1.65L each single trip) compared to the 100's L we would have been charged if we booked with the hotel. Please do not book excursion with the hotel, you can get better & cheaper deal outside.

The breakfast was ok, but i agree with other comments i would rate this at 3* ive stayed in 5*/4* hotels and the sevice is a lot better than that of ipek.

The only thing going is the superficial decoration and location of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
ipekpalashotel, General Manager at Hotel Ipek Palas, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying with us. But I have searched the reports but you did not make any complaint about the door and the heating system. We have complaint lists with all guest signs??Also you have booked one of our lowest rate promotional rooms. If you want an upgrade we could easily do that. During your stay the hotel was not so busy so we would give the upgrade free as we did for many of our guests.Also the best review of our hotel is cleaning so you can not claim that the sheets are not changed. I have checked that you have asked the transportation to Sabiha Gokcen airport .My staff did not recommend the ferry because it is the more difficult transportation for it and there is not any ferry that goes to that airport.
Thanks for your understanding
Reviewed 18 February 2011

If you have only looked at the positive reviews then your expectations of the accommodation will be set far too high. The beds and rooms are small and sleeping was difficult, even in the fourth room we were shown which was just satisfactory. Paying the extra for a better room may be worth it, but the construction and 6th floor noise will be heard in most rooms and Maintenance is poor which may well effect all rooms. The staff would clearly like your stay to be a pleasant one and we do not have any complaint about them.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Birdie_2_11
ipekpalashotel, General Manager at Hotel Ipek Palas, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Dear Guest,

We had a very attractive promotion about our small types of rooms at low season and you bought it. You paid very very small amount because it was a special promotion. If you paid more you would buy from our standart rooms which are 30 meters and very well designed. If you read our history it is a historical hotel so our general area looks like a palace.Also the construction has finished so there is no noise.

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels