“Hip Hotel in Happening Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sofa Hotel

The Sofa Hotel
Ranked #208 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
“Hip Hotel in Happening Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Sofa Hotel is new hotel with a complete Spa in a cool shopping neighborhood.

The style is trendy modern, the rooms are great (large), the spa and exercise facilities are well equipped and the staff supportive.

I highly recommend this hotel if you need to be near the American Hospital (which I needed to be) or if you just want to be in the shopping district.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Very warm greetings from The Sofa Hotel Nişantaşı.
Thank very much for choosing us again .I am very happy to hear that you fully enjoyed yor stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights over NY .
We wanted a change from the Bosphorus hotels this time , something more central where we can step out for a walk around the area especially around NY when the streets turn into one big party with DJ etc. in the evening .
The Sofa came recommended by some friends and we do tend to enjoy boutique hotels generally .
There's nothing radically wrong with the hotel . Herewith my take :
-The rooms need some sprucing up , the years are starting to show although it's only 7 years old
-You won't find the level of luxury you'd expect for this price range . The room hardly has any rugs especially next to the bed
-The most annoying are the aluminum windows , it was quite cold outside and the heater doesn't really work in the room so you can feel a cold breeze when you stand next to the windows
-Our friends' was on the 4th floor where the whole glass façade is covered by an opaque film which prevents you from seeing outside !!
-We had booked a Terrace Suite but were upgraded to a Senior Suite which was quite nice of them
-The main problem is the staff , you don't they are very happy to be working there , rather long dark faces especially the receptionist on check out who admittedly was hung over from the previous night :):)
-The area was very congested throughout our stay so getting in and out by taxi can take a very long time
-For smokers , like me , they have a designated room/café , not your usual back of the house , where you can have a cigarette with coffee ...fantastic idea
Otherwise Istanbul is one of my favorite cities anywhere . It's vibrant , the food is amazing , the views are dazzling over the bosphorus , it's just amazing .
It's an expensive city though and you have to continuously bargain .
Next visit I will stay at the W .

Room Tip: Ask if you can see through the windows and request a higher floor . The area is very noisy and the w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comment at Tripadvisor

I am very happy that you enjoyed staying with us.We hope to see you again .

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel is situated amidst designer shops and it looks quite fancy as well.
Big rooms, good beds, a deluxe bathroom and nice decoration. In the end it's the experience that counts and that hasn't been positive. Some hotel policies and the service of the staff are not what you expect in a hotel in this price-range.
Check in is done sitting down, something that doesn't appeal to me. This suggests a kind of laid back attitude that's not fit for the situation. I'd rather be served by somebody standing up. We were informed about the wireless internet and given instructions, later we found out it wasn't free, to conceal this is not sympathetic.
Paying for internet is not the standard nowadays and paying this much (5 euros per hour up to 12 for 24) is ridiculous. Only in the lobby the internet is free, something you sometimes find in an old tourist hotel on the coast.
It's common practice to store mini bar items in the fridge, outside it you'll find the complimentary stuff like teabags and instant coffee. Not here. Check the price list to find out that a teabag cost 10 Turkish lire (€ 3.60). You'll find snacks on the bedside table, it's like staying in a store, be aware. It's the trickiness that's not nice.
Breakfast food is good, the service so so. Tables are small and chairs low, lounge style. You get coffee when you ask for it, they don't come to your table to offer tea or coffee. When the coffee was brought it was placed on our packed table that was laid out for 4, we were two. The extra plates were not removed. They have cappuccino etc. but you have to ask for it.
We used the spa once. The jacuzzi was not hot, just a little warm, the Turkish bath not working and the swimming pool too small to swim in. The Sauna was just hot enough.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon_45710
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts that will help us to improve the quality of our service.

Please accept my sincere apologies since you did not fully enjoyed your stay with us

The Sofa Hotel’s first priority is to have a highly individual guest satisfaction and show the real Turkish hospitality to our guest. We will appreciate if you give us the chance to welcome you back at The Sofa hospitality on your next stay .

Looking forword to seeing you again

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here using the 3 nights for 2 deal which is great. We got upgraded to a suite which is a nice gesture. Staff in general is not so bad.

Pros - 3 nights for 3 deal is good, Big room for a suite, good atmosphere, great amenities

Cons - We were given only 1 bottle of water. When requested for another bottle on the next day, the hotel staff said that only 1 bottle was complimentary. Breakfast is so so. Also the internet is not free in the room!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comment at Tripadvisor
Your comments are very valuable to improve our service that you except from us
I am very happy to tell you that we started to provide a bottle of water a daily basis to our guest rooms during their stay recently
It was a pleasure to have you in our hotel and look forward to seeing you again.

Hümeyra Ercil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a great weekend at this hotel. Absolutely no complaints!
We used the 3 nights for 2 deal--great value! Upon check-in the reception was extremely helpful and flexible in giving us a room that fit our requests, upgraded us to a suite, and brought us a rollaway for no extra charge. We were able to have 3 clothing items pressed for free and there was complimentary water in the room. The room was big and clean, the bathroom was nice with an excellent shower and good bath products, robes, and slippers. We slept very well with no noise or disturbances at all. It felt like they paid attention to the all the small details, and we were very comfortable. The breakfast was good too, with convenient hours and good service.
Every single staff member at the hotel was beyond kind and helpful. They helped us with many dinner reservations, activity and restaurant recommendations, directions--anything we needed. I left something behind in the hotel and they offered to mail it to me (international) at no charge.
We had massage treatments at the spa and were able to use a 30% discount as we scheduled our treatments during a weekday. The atmosphere was great and we enjoyed our massages.
The location of the hotel was also perfect--shopping, grocery store, taxis, etc.
Overall, we could not have asked for a better experience. We highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Sofa Hotel Nişantaşı

It was a such a pleasure having you here also it is very nice to hear that you had felt this way during your stay.
We are happy to read that you were extremely happy with our employees and respond to all your requests.

Very much looking forward to seeing you all and welcome you back to The Sofa Hotel Nişantaşı
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I love smaller more intimate hotels and felt this was a pretty good one, well located in the heart of the stylish Nişantaşı area. Not sure wether it's classified as a 'boutique hotel' but it certainly has those sensibilities.

The room was good, though it was supposedly a more premium sweet that somehow I'd been upgraded to which was brilliant of Sofa to do except, in comparison to other boutique hotels I've stayed in there were a few criticisms but nothing major.

I love a high spec, clean edged room that my Sofa bathroom had in abundance. The shower was lovely and I thought the space had been well planned to allow for joint use but also privacy. Toweling and robes where great and I thought the complimentary rectangle slippers where awesome. Molton brown is their cosmetic supplier which is cool though I'd have preferred something a little less mass market in such a cool hotel.

The room itself was all good. Nice large bed, warm, light duvet, plump cosy pillows etc. I had a perfect massive wardrobe (lacking hangers though), lage desk and chaise lounge within lots of space. I can't fault those bits and my only critism is the finish of the room. I personally find plug sockets, fuse points and wires on show, or guides and magazines strewn around, all very ugly and give gold stars to those hotels who know just how important a streamline finish is to interior design and how storage can solve these cluttering problems. Such as the coffee and tea stuff littered around the end of the desk, all look clumsy and out of design sync if you ask me. This aside it was all good, everything works. So apart from looking for a bedside light switch for 30minutes (they are tiny wee string pulls) I was super comfortable.

Beware though! There are lots of extra costs hidden away. You only get one complimentary bottle of water?!. The instant coffee is free but the Tea kinda pricey at £3 a bag if my friends calculations were correct. There are sweets and treats left out of the mini bar easily presumed complimentary. Nope they are not. Also you have to request an iron and ironing board for the room, though the wardrobe could easily home these permanently. I did get 3 items complimentary pressed though which was a great service for my short stay.

Also wifi?? Not included?? Really??? You have to choose a package and pay. This is not like any hotel I have ever stayed in worldwide. A tad silly I think.

The breakfast is a standard buffet and was also additional cost. Nothing to right home about as it was just the run of the mill mass scrambled eggs, plastic sausages and tiny bacon strips. Such a shame for such a nice hotel. The pastries and coffee are nice and so is the breakfast room.

All in all I was happy and comfortable for my two nights and survived without wifi though another day may have pushed me over the edge considering you can't work without it.

The area Sofa is situated in is great, full of the usual luxury stores, Prada, Vuitton etc but some cooler independent shops too, as well as a mall with Turkish own brands. There's also plenty of delicious dinning to be done and I'd recommend Frankie's that's conveniently situated on the top floor of Sofa.

If Sofa can research other hotels across the globe that they align with or are similar to and tweak a few of the complimentary elements or a least look closer at there inclusive costs and customer guidance then this would be a great 5 stars from me.

I will definitely stay here again, I would certainly recommend it and hope it grows and gets better. Can't wait to try the spa facilities that I sadly missed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bobbyboysabout
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Istanbul and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at The Sofa Hotel Nişantaşı.

We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel.

We hope to see you again at our HIP hotel.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Location is perfect beside it's across from city's mall there are lots of shops, boutiques, cafes, grocery stores, and beautiful park just around the corner in case traveling with kids. Also, the area is well known with tons of taxis available anytime.
Our experience with staff & room service was good, we ordered extra stuff and they delivered them in about 5min.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a such a great pleasure meeting you , here we thrive to make our guests feel at home so it is wonderful to hear that you had felt this way during your stay.

We hope to see you in the near future when your travels take you back to Istanbul.