“Great value for money in excellent location - no frills”
Review of Hotel Agan

Hotel Agan
Ranked #163 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Agan for a week over Christmas 2013, and were very impressed with the location, close to the Spice Bazaar and lots of public transport options, as well as within close walking distance of the main tourist sites (Blue Mosque, Aghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace et al).

The rooms ARE very small - the one shown in the main pic on this page is actually the suite which my husband and I paid an upgrade for - it was really lovely, but I can't help thinking that the standard rooms must be very pokey, as it wasn't exactly spacious. However, it was really really clean and tidy, and despite the fact that there is a bar downstairs, we weren't disturbed by the music - things might have been different if we'd had to have the windows open in the summer.

The bathroom was perfectly adequate for our needs but do bear in mind that the walls in this hotel are paper thin: without going into details, we closed the air extractor in our bathroom every night as we could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the room and bathroom next door. And I mean EVERYTHING.

The buffet breakfast was included in our deal and was good value, although it has to rate as the only hotel I have ever stayed in where there was no fruit juice on offer at all. And if you don't drink coffee, which I don't, it was water or nothing. Some of the breakfast times were absolutely rammed with people - possibly some from outside as well - so the advice would be to get there early.

Residents are supposed to get a 10% discount at the bar on drinks and food - do remember to show your key because if you don't, no discount is forthcoming, even if you have stayed there for several days.

Staff are really helpful and have a good command of several languages. We didn't use it but there is also a travel agent on site which offers tours and guides for visitors.

All in all, a great budget find - well worth trying.

Room Tip: Pay the small upgrade to a suite if you can afford it, and try to get a room that isn't directly...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at a different hotel about a mile away from this one for the first part of our trip as part of a package. While it was a fancier hotel, this one was a better location for getting around the 'old town'. The rooms were a good size, clean, comfortable and a great value (we got a 3 person sleeper room for $52 a night!) The front desk guys were courteous, the restaurant was good and the wait staff friendly.

Had a good experience

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed here for three nights in November as a solo female traveler, and it suited my needs perfectly. The rate was reasonable, the room was clean, and the front desk service was very helpful. They can even help you book tours throughout Turkey, although I didn't use them for that.

The breakfast was a pretty decent buffet included in my rate, and you also get 10% off at the onsite Salute restaurant, as well as at another restaurant about 10 minutes (Optimus) that is owned by the Agan's former manager. I tried both restaurants, and they're both good for local food, especially the Optimus.

While the room was on the small side, it was perfect for one person, and the bathroom was surprisingly large. I do recommend asking for a room on a higher floor if available--I was on the top floor and wasn't bothered by the street noise at all, although the prayer over the loudspeakers did wake me up the first morning.

The location is also terrific--you can walk to the Blue Mosque, sultan's palace, catacombs, and Hagia Sofia in about five minutes. The area felt safe and I had no problems walking around as a single woman.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor to minimize noise, but keep in mind that the very top floor doesn't have...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sokarys
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel is ideally located to some of the best sightseeing in Istanbul. The room rates were good and the rooms were clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we had some really fun interaction with the waiters. The food was good and reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and was a great start to the day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We arrived at the hotel Agan on the 18 February 2013. We were on our honeymoon, initially booked a standard bedroom, but was upgraded to a Suite on arrival! Stunning bedroom!

After settling in, one of the staff members brought us a complimentary fruit platter and welcome drinks

All the staff members were really friendly and helpful!

We will definitely go back to the Agan hotel when visiting Istanbul again

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Agan 3 times so far and would happily stay there again if I'm back in Istanbul. The hotel is very well located, a pleasant 10-15 min walk to Hagia Sofia and Topkapi palace, under 5 min to either of the two closest tram stations. The price was very reasonable. The room is fairly basic but has everything one needs: shower, small fridge, even free slippers (thin but useful, and a nice gesture anyway). The street below is narrow and full of tourists sitting around on pillows and smoking water pipes. One piece of advice: when you get into your room for the 1st time, make sure to inspect the room lights, faucets, etc., before tipping the porter guy, to avoid calling them again and tipping even more if, say, a lamp doesn't work. Overall: very pleasant little hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrei T
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel seemed to receive consistently good reviews and we weren't disappointed. We came from the Airport using the Metro and Tram for about £1 each. The tram stop is only about 300m away from the hotel. Our welcome was warm and friendly and we were shown to our room. We quickly discovered that the radiator wasn't working and Istanbul was COLD. The problem was quickly rectified and we were also given the handset to operate the reverse air-con unit to supply some extra heat. The room was slightly on the small side and you had to coordinate your movements! Breakfast was extensive and you had no reason to leave hungry. We always ate around 9am and it could be rather cramped.....tables pushed together and some soft seating that was rather low down. All these little issues fade into insignificance when you consider the price and great location. We didn't eat in the hotel or at any of the numerous nearby restaurants so I can't comment on the Agan's dinner menu or offer other advice. The internet was fairly reliable and fast enough to watch the UK TV news on my iPad. As everybody remarks, the majority of tourist locations are within easy walking distance and the tram takes you to many of those further afield. We left happy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple