“Can't be faulted” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #157 of 1,114 Hotels in Istanbul
Birmingham, UK
“Can't be faulted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

It really would be difficult to find fault with this hotel. It's evidently been renovated in the recent past, and although you wouldn't call the rooms especially spacious, they're well appointed and perfectly comfortable. Satellite TV and air con. in the rooms. The hotel is just 2 mins. from Gülhane tram station, so very easy to get to from Atatürk International Airport using cheap public transport. Breakfast is ample, and there's loads of hot water. Staff are very helpful - they all speak English. I stayed for a week, and during that time had clean towels every day and the bed sheets changed twice. Sure, there's some street noise in the evenings, but this is Istanbul - if you want silence, find a nice Trappist monastery somewhere. :-) All in all, excellent value. Highly recommended, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there another time.

1 Thank PurpleHankyMan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Chessington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

I booked a single room there June, arrived and asked to change to a twin as I discovered my son was also arriving to Istanbul later that day, he was on his overseas trip. They changed my single to a triple, for only 15 Euros a night extra, I was staying 2 nights. This is very comparable to a hostel rate in the area, so for 15euros extra my boy had a good bed, the room was comfortable, big double and a single bed, tele, excellent shower room, AIR CONNED!!! and free bath stuff and slippers provided.
Room was cleaned every day, breakfast, which was included, was a good buffet. Hotel has free internet and is local to attractions and the docks as to get to Taksim, Istanbul centre.

I would def recommend this hotel to anyone, for the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, the locations.

Two tips I have for people staying at the Agan

1: From airport don't get taxi or shuttle bus, which can cost up to 20euros. Get the metro (M1) to Zeytinburnu, about 6/7 stops. All trams and transport uses tokens, which costs 1.5 Turkish liras, and you can get this at every station via the vending machines. At Zeytinburnu, change to tram line, I think it was T2, that goes to Gulhane. Get off there out the gate at the back, 1st street on right walk down to 3rd turning on right and hotel is there, about 300m from the stop. 3 Turkish Liras was about 1.5 Euros at the time compared to 20 Euros by taxis.

2: Don't have dinner in the area round the hotel. All the restaurants serves the same foods and charges about the same money. Instead, eat up in Taksim, which you get to by the same tram you came in on, across the bridge. Up there, where all the night clubs/bars/shopping are, you’ll find a better choice of foods, much better atmosphere and here's the important thing, usually 1/3 to up to 1/2 the price you pay in the restaurants round the hotel.

The above 2 tips are, of course, my views only and it is recommended you try others out.

But 100% I would recommend the hotel to anyone! Happy travelling all!! :)

OzT

2 Thank OzT
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

I had booked and payed 1 month before. Yet at check-in was informed they did not have a room for me. They had the booking in the system, knew my name etc. They just didnt have my room. I asked for my money back. They wouldnt. Crazy since I had a crystal clear receipt for my Hotels.com payment and they acknowledged this. Eventually, I ended up staying in "their other hotel" just down the road.

Both room and bathroom was tiny (not just small, it was tiny). It was pretty mediocre but had it only been cleaned properly it would have been OK for me considering the price of 40 EUR a night and that I spent only my sleeping hours in there. The "free" breakfast was really bad.

Location is great for the old city and also possible to walk cross the bridge and further on to the long pedestrian street. Noice was a problem though. Especially Thursday night until 3:30 people roamed around inside the hotel and people drinking outside hotel.

Surprise surprise - when I cheked out they were hassling me for payment. I explained, they asked for payment again, I explained again etc. Eventually I suggested that they if they were calling me a thief they should call the police, then I walked out.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Bettestep
Vakif, Manager at Hotel Agan, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
First of all we are very for making one of our guests unhappy and also for this review. We had a problem about electricity in our hotel on 3rd of June and we could not solve the problem in one day.Because of this reason we made reservation for some of our guests to a 3 star hotel and we payed the difference.
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Excellent hotel in a perfect location for Istanbul sightseeing. All the main atractions are very close, around 5 minutes walking distance. The rooms are nice and clean, the staff is friendly and helpful. The area is filled with nice restaurants, and there are 2 tram stations very close (Sirkeci and Gulhane) - the tram is the main public transport way in Istanbul.
When I'll come back to Istanbul, I think I'll stay at this hotel again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

Very helpful staff. Great food at the restaurant. Close to Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. On a cozy pedestrian street with outside eating sitting. Small, clean room with ice cold air conditioning. No complaints.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

The Hotel Agan could hardly be better located - a very short walk from most of the major sights and museums of Istanbul in the Topkapi and Sultanahmet areas, with good tram connections to the Bazaar district and also close to the Bosphorus ferry docks and Sirkeci station. The rooms and en-suite bathrooms are clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful and speak good English. Cheap airport transfers are available. The breakfast buffet includes traditional Turkish as well as more Western options. The hotel restaurant and bar are slightly more expensive than nearby alternatives - the whole street is lined with hotels which have bars with outdoor seating areas. That last point means that the street stays busy and noisy until late at night, which can affect sleep. But all in all the Agan is an attractive option close to most of Istanbul's attractions.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhi3
Poznan, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

It was my plan B, first reasonable booking at booking.com service. I made it just after flight booking with an idea to find something better in next weeks before my weekend trip to Istanbul. Of course, I tried to find something else, but my first choose was better than everything I could find. That isn't the best hotel, but I think it is worth your money if your travel with economic budget.
I booked single room, but I got normal double room, with nice bathroom.
Only one disadventage for me: juices. There are breakfasts for hotel guests (in room price) - everything was quite good - excluding juices.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo