“Dorms are great”
Review of Istanbul Hostel

Istanbul Hostel
Ranked #471 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Given the price, i was impressed with the friendliness and warmth of this hostel. It was low season, so quite quiet, but i was very impressed with the quality of beds, pillows, and linnens. Heating in the shower is a bit hit and miss, but a good sleep and its location make it worth the effort....

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 November 2011

This place is well past it's prime. There is honestly nothing outstanding about the place and a whole lot that is sub standard bordering on unbelievably awful.

There is a bad infestation of cockroaches on the second floor. Management thinks nothing of having guests move rooms every night. The rooms off reception are very loud, the staff will be charting away outside you door all night, don't ask them to respect the fact people are trying to sleep, they will just tell you to shut up and stop being so stressed. Breakfast is simply awful, you get a small piece of cucumber, tomato (which had gone off), three dried out olives, a tiny slab of cheese and an egg. They even bought the cheap kind of instant coffee and creamer.

The staff were unpleasant and just downright rude. They don't seem to realize that when a guest says no they mean no. When they made me move rooms in the middle of my two day stay a lamp I bought was broken. One of the staff offered to look at it, mostly because I was really ticked off about the room change. When it became obvious that it would take awhile to fix I asked him to give it back. He just flat out refused telling me he could do it. Now I appreciate men wanting to fix everything but it was mt last day of holiday and it would have taken me ten minutes to bring it back to the store...instead I wasted thirty minutes standing there for the guy with the wrench to take the lamp apart...even though I told him I didn't want him to and asked him to stop.

Overall, this hostel can be missed... It is very poor quality and there are so many others around.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank JungleKatPC
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We booked this hostel after looking at reviews on Hostelworld.com - the reviews show great location, awesome cleanliness and security, roof top terrace, etc. etc. This hostel looks perfect. And before I continue, I have to say that I'm not a very picky person at all - I am fine with very simple, all I look in hostels are safety and a place to sleep!

Location - it is perfect, I have to say, Cleanliness OK. Security: absolutely none - they rooms are never locked, the door downstairs is not lock as well, there is absolutely no security at all. There are small locks in SOME rooms, but that's it. And don't get fooled by the roof-top terrace - ALL of them have it, they just don't advertise it always!

Overage this place is not the best, not the worst I've seen, but I really don't recommend it. There are tons of hostels/hotels in this location that seem a lot better. The worst thing about this hostel is the staff - not friendly at all (the only nice and helpful person is the guy at the Travel agency - he seems a bit arrogant at first, but hey you can trust him no problem, wherever you want to go.. he will organize an awesome trip!!!). There is a very creepy guy who works at the reception (not sure if he is the owner), he is VERY annoying. First thing, MAKE SURE YOU PAY AT CHECK IN - He will fool you!!! We were two as asked for the total price, he gave us a price and then at time of paying he decided it was TWICE the price. When you check in he will say you can pay later - make sure you insist to pay now.

Second thing, he will ask you to write a review of the hostel IN FRONT OF HIM. No wonder why the reviews are so good... he forces you to do it while you are there. This is so not appropriate.

In sum, this is a very average hostel and I do not recommend it at all. You can find much better hostels/hotels in Sultanahmet.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Hi,
after reading many great reviews of this hostel we booked it because of great location and great overall rating. When we came there truth was very different. We booked through hostelworld and when we came it was not a problem. After that some other people came and said that they reserved via e-mail (directly to hostel). Hostel personnel told them that they don't accept reservations directly to their e-mail and they don't even answer it. So they left to find another accommodation.

We payed while checking in and a very creepy guy took us to our room (I think that is the owner so I will call him like that). Room was not clean, it had dust everywhere, towels that we got were dirty (had stains), there were wires staring out of wall socket and in room is very very small (just bed fits in it...no chair, no closet or bedside tables). After you see all that the bed doesn't seem so pleasant anymore also.
Bathroom is shared and it is disgusting. in a hall there is one sink, on the left two showers and on right two dirty toilets (for one toilet you can't lock the door and for the other door can't be closed but only locked). And all this is for about 20 people that are on that floor.

You have to laptops for free use (thats ok), and you have a great terrace that functions as a restaurant/bar and it has great view plus location to the cities most attractive sites is very good. Bad thing is that they have loud music late at night on the terrace (btw there is no people upstairs at that time) so sleeping is a bit bad cause of that. Breakfast is included in price and its ok (classical turkish breakfast..but it is not unlimited like in many other hostels).

Staff is average but the owner is creepy. 2 times he was asking (with his low insecure voice) us did we pay, like he doesn't believe us or can't check. It was very unpleasant.

Cherry on top was this. Owner doesn't speak to you much but at the end you can expect him to ask you on which site did you book the hostel and after that <b>he will ask you if you have 5 minutes to post a review (in his presence of course).</b> I also heard him telling the same thing to one american guy one day before. So that explained to me how they get such great reviews on some sites for hostel booking

Generally - there are FAR FAR better accommodations in Istanbul than this poorly managed hostel. Take my word for it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed in Istanbul Hostel for 4 nights in a six-bed female dorm. It is in a very nice location in Sultanahmet, very close to all main attractions and with a lovely view from its rooftop terrace. Staff is friendly, but a bit clumsy to deal with the crowds of people coming and going. For example, when I stayed there at the beginning of my trip I booked a the place in the dorm for the date I'd be back to Istambul after travelling around the country, but they forgot to do it and I had to stay somewhere else when I got there.
The bedroom and especially the bathrooms were not very clean, the mattress was horrible and there was a considerable noise on the street at late night hours.

Room Tip: there are many other hostel in the area, you can take a look and choose the one that looks best
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2011

the place was dirty and the rooms were terrible, they were on the ground floor and in the basement~! the staff are really not helpful when you ask them stuff, they simply try to promote their own tours (cos they are also a tour company), the area around there are at least 50 hostels to choose from, i think you can get a better deal anywhere else

Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank aman2040
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed here for 3,5 nights with my mom, sister and a friend of her.
We got a 6 persons room but there was noone else so that was good.
Its a good idea to bring earplugs because its a bid noisy.

I think its a good spot to stay where you are there for a few nights. The beds where perfect. I only think it was weird that you couldnt lock the showerdoor.

After all, nice service, good price and a wonderfull spot in a great city!

One other good thing in Istanbul - you can book a nightride to the airport, we had to be there at 3.45 am and we could go with the taxi!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends