“A Hidden Gem”

Megara Palace Hotel
Ranked #223 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The travel agency we used in Turkey set us up in this hotel and all I can say is Job Well Done. What it lacks in luster is made up with friendly enthusiasm and curtesy. We spent time is several much higher rated hotels in Turkey and this one was by far our favorite. The chef at the hotel was very good and we had excellent meals and service. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. If you are looking for a five star place that is cold and lacking in personality, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: we had a corner room. Istanbul is noisy bring earplugs this place is in the city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Aurora R

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great location- literally a stone's throw away from the popular streets with restaurants and shops. Less than a 5 minute walk from Hagia Sofia and the palace. Room was a bit outdated and no secure double lock from the inside of the room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast- average/good. Starts late at 8am but the staff allowed me to eat at 7:40am, as my tour bus was picking me up at 8am.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Caltp
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in may. Hotel was very reasonable price compared to others in Sultanahmet. The location is amazing. Right next to tokapi Palace and 5 mins walk to agya sofa and blue mosque. Rooms are small but we spent very little time in the room. The room was very clean and cleaned everyday. Bathroom was modern. Breakfast is on a beautiful terrace overlooking the bosphorus. It was a buffet style and I thought pretty good. Staff were also very helpful. We ate one might in the restaurant as it's not busy with good views. Food was nice but maybe pricey like all the restaurants in Sultanahmet. Highly recommend this hotel

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love to stay in Sultan Ahmed when I visit Istanbul. This hotel is very nice, the staff is amazingly friendly, helpful, polite… the location is perfect, the hotel is very clean, very comfortable and for wifi freaks like me is perfect since it's free and you have it everywhere… the only thing I didn't like was breakfast… they call it "ecological" but the only ecological things are maybe the tomatoes and the cucumbers in case they are organic that didn't really seemed to me to be so… breakfast is poor… if they didn't write anything I could accept it but I don't like them to write "ecological" just in order to justify the poorness… :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We booked 4 nights in this hotel in April. After we made the booking via Laterooms.com, we contacted the hotel to request a taxi pickup when we arrived. The hotel confirmed that a taxi would be sent. We arrived at Istanbul on Monday night at 11pm to find there was no taxi, we waited for over an hour and instead had to take a taxi from the airport which was more expensive.

When we arrived at the hotel we asked about why the taxi had not come to pick us up, to which they replied they didn’t know I had requested a taxi, this really annoyed me.

We paid for our room then our luggage was taken to the room (there are no lifts by the way). When we booked we were promised a second floor rooms with views, instead we got a tiny room with 2 single beds, where once our luggage was in we couldn’t move. I went to complain and then they changed it to a family room, which wasn’t much better apart from the fact it had a double bed and 2 single beds, again very small and oddly shaped room. The bathroom was really small as well. The shower had no curtain so when we took a shower the entire bathroom would get wet. There was only 1 small towel given for 2 people and very basic toiletries.

The room was very dirty, there was hair in the bed, the blanket had burn marks on it, the fridge looked about 20 years old. Some of the sockets didn’t work properly. The air con was blowing out warm air. There was no tea/coffee making facilities.

I husband had the breakfast on the terrace which was not appetizing, the only good thing was the view from the terrace.

The manager came to ask if we could move out of the room we were in as he wanted to give it to someone else, the cheek!! In the end after the first night we decided to move out and go somewhere else.

The staff were friendly and great but at the end of the day you are paying for the room, which was overpriced and awful, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

We moved out after 1 night to Magnaura Palace which was around the corner from Megara Palace and the difference in standards was like night and day. It is more modern and the staff gave us very good service, the rooms are better equipped and cleaner and spacious. From our room we had a view of the Bosphorous.

I picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and really wish I had done more research. I do not understand why people gave it such good reviews when it was an awful hotel. Please do not waste your money on this hotel, there are far better hotels in the same area.

7  Thank awesomeadil
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had booked two nights here in Istanbul, but after staying one night, we extended our stay. I would have expected to pay much more for this hotel, because the value is so much more. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the shower is hot, the temperature control is great. The breakfast is fantastic, and the service is beyond friendly. Easy walking distance to anything in the "Old City", and just figure out the train to get over to the night life. I couldn't recommend this place more!

1  Thank mbindc13
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is in a brilliant location in the old town...so close to all the major sights. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and personable, they were able to assist with all our needs/requests. The view from the terrace at breakfast is stunning and we looked forward to this each morning. The mosque sounds are all around the hotel, which add to the Turkish experience.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view
2  Thank David P